Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart and Melbourne City attendances

Jimmy

Herbert's just resigned too so it'd be interesting what kind of impact this would have on the Phoenix! Will they play well to give him a good send-off or will they be too rattled and crumble?

It could go either way, but I hope it doesn't have the same impact that Perth had after Fergie was shown the door!

Phoenix have another game before they play us.

Updated OP outlining our attendance history:

All time top ten crowds:

1. Round 22 2012-13 vs. SYD - 13,752

2. Round 1 2010-11 vs. CCM - 11,050

3. Round 2 2012-13 vs. WEL - 10,907

4. Round 14 2011-12 vs. ADL - 8,272

5. Round 26 2011-12 vs. SYD - 7,498

6. Round 16 2011-12 vs. PER - 7,233

7. Round 2 2011-12 vs. PER - 7,229

8. Round 17 2012-13 vs. ADL - 7,181

9. Round 8 2012-13 vs. NEW - 7,125

10. Round 18 2011-12 vs. BRI - 7,118

Season by season:

2010-2011:

Total attendance (No. of games): 75,769 (13)

Average: 5,828

Highest two attendances:

Round 1 vs. CCM: 11,050

Round 15 vs. BRI: 7,034

Lowest two attendances:

Round 20 vs. NEW: 2,754

Round 29 vs. CCM: 3,667

2011-2012:

Total attendance (No. of games): 71,217 (11)

Average: 6,474

Change form 2010-11: +646

Highest two attendances:

Round 14 vs. ADL: 8,272

Round 26 vs. SYD: 7,498

Lowest two attendances:

Round 22 vs. GCU: 4,972

Round 23 vs. CCM: 5,033

2012-2013:

Total attendance (No. of games): 73,333 (10)

Average: 7,333

Change form 2011-12: +859

Highest two attendances:

Round 22 vs. SYD: 13,752

Round 2 vs. WEL: 10,907

Lowest two attendances:

Round 10 vs. PER: 4,505

Round 6 vs. BRI: 5,466

• Like 1

On operation 12K, I believe Melburnian has chosen a great target. We may not necessarily hit it in the 2013-14 season, but 12,000 people turning up per game is what we should be getting and I'd rather us go out and try and achieve what we already should be getting, rather than what would be easier. Besides, as Melburnian has said countless times, all it takes is each member to sign up one person and our membership base doubles, if that happened next season we'd have 13,000 members.

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 1

2012-2013:

Total attendance (No. of games): 73,333(10)

Change from 2011-12: +859

Highest two attendances:

Lowest two attendances:

Average including home derby = 9,071

THAT is impressive.. Last season we had TWO home derbies, so according to this, a single home derby adds about 1700 to the average (9071-7333). That means our average is up by 1700 on last year.

THAT is impressive.. Last season we had TWO home derbies, so according to this, a single home derby adds about 1700 to the average (9071-7333). That means our average is up by 1700 on last year.

Huh?

Looking at data from Ultimate A-League.

2011/2012 9082 (127,142) - Two home melbderbies

2012/2013 9072 (99,790) - ONE melbderby, and 2 home games to go

The average att this season inclusive of derby is 9071. Excluding the derby is 7333.

So, that's roughly 1700 extra average per game..

So, our average attendance is up ~1700 from last year..

Hope that makes more sense.

On operation 12K, I believe Melburnian has chosen a great target. We may not necessarily hit it in the 2013-14 season, but 12,000 people turning up per game is what we should be getting and I'd rather us go out and try and achieve what we already should be getting, rather than what would be easier. Besides, as Melburnian has said countless times, all it takes is each member to sign up one person and our membership base doubles, if that happened next season we'd have 13,000 members.

Thanks and yes, it is achievable.

If we can build the #OneMelburnian culture among our fan base going into next year, there is no reason that initiative alone won't bear fruit to be able to attract 12,000 members. Then there is so many other initiatives the club can do to attract new people to the club.

For me, I look at a host of numbers and facts and to me like everything else in life it comes back to how badly someone wants it and how hard they will work for it. If the club wants it, it can be achieved through hard work. Ditto with the fan base. It's not easy getting one new person to follow you to become a member of the club, but if you want it bad enough, you will be able to achieve that and more. I went in hoping for 3 mates maybe? I can tell you now, I got a whole lot more than that and created some of the most passionate fans, it has been unreal.

If the club and fans sit back and expect it to just happen, well, it won't. Which I think has been happening over the course of three seasons.

Attendance is great, but we want to lead a membership culture. If we have 12,000 members, attendance will take care of itself. Theater goers will come from that momentum the buzz in town will cause. I'm not interested in them, I am in our supporters. We the fans must encourage supporters to become members. It initiates commitment.

Anyway, probably the wrong thread for this spiel, apologies mods.

I have to say, I noticed quite a few Heart strips freshly bought, still in packaging on Sunday night, hopefully a sign of new people getting on board!

Yeah i was one of those people haha! Bought my first ever kappa strip on Sunday, and they are so much better than the ISC ones. The logos on this one doesn't peel off!

Even my Dad who supports heart but has never gone to a game wants one, so if the merchandise stand is open next game i'm getting one for him!

Updated OP outlining our attendance history:

Season by season:

2010-2011:

Total attendance (No. of games): 75,769 (13)

Average: 5,828

Highest two attendances:

Round 1 vs. CCM: 11,050

Round 15 vs. BRI: 7,034

Lowest two attendances:

Round 20 vs. NEW: 2,754

Round 29 vs. CCM: 3,667

2011-2012:

Total attendance (No. of games): 71,217 (11)

Average: 6,474

Change form 2010-11: +646

Highest two attendances:

Round 14 vs. ADL: 8,272

Round 26 vs. SYD: 7,498

Lowest two attendances:

Round 22 vs. GCU: 4,972

Round 23 vs. CCM: 5,033

2012-2013:

Total attendance (No. of games): 73,333 (10)

Change form 2011-12: +859

Highest two attendances:

Lowest two attendances:

If we add the two highest attendances and the two lowest attendances for each of the last three seasons we see a clear pattern emerging:

Season 2010/11 = 24,505

Season 2011/12 = 25,775

Season 2012/13 = 34,630

These last 2 home games are extremely important both on and off field

United I expected 8000+ with that being a win I expect

9000+ for WSW

I wouldn't be surprised by something close to 10,000 when the Western Sydney Wankers come to AAMI - especially if we're in finals contention. They turned out to be a great draw crowd when playing against the Tards. They'll be the best supported away team at AAMI outside of the derbies.

I know it doesn't affect the average as much as our derbies, but our non-derby average will be marginally increased because we didn't play a match in Morwell this year. So instead of getting a 2.5k crowd, we would have got 6-7k. So that would mean roughly 300 of the increase in the non-derby average we are seeing could be attributed to that.

I think the changes all up on last year are minimal and should not be celebrated.

We should of increased by a significant amount more, mistakes were made at the start of the year and hopefully learnt. The middle to end of year improvements have been made and hopefully we will see the club being proactive and aggressive this off season and not snooze for too long a time.

The off season is so vital this season. It is time for the club to really go to work. All staff have to roll up their sleeves and work hard to obtaining the gains we should be having.

The target of 12,000 should have been reached by now in my opinion. I have had people disagree with this, I have had people agree. It's just my opinion that the club have failed in a number of areas and we are behind where we should be tracking. No, it's not an easy gig coming into this market because of what has gone before us, but this s Melbourne and the market is there.

Looking forward, April should not see holidays taken by our club, but when the hard work begins.

Operation 12k should be adapted by everyone who lives for the Red and White of Melbourne. Together with the club, the 6,000 or so core members can make this an easy gettable target.

I am already talking to my One Melburnians about reaching into their circles and bringing new people to the club next season. I am making it so we can bring mates into our circle and grow. Next year, I have the ambitious target of having a group of around 40 members brought in.

It means 16 of the guys I have brought in to bring in 2 or 3 members each. I think I can get another few. Snowball effect.

This season is not over and this discussion can wait till then, but just keep this in your mind guys. Wouldn't it be nice heading into the season with the club tracking for 12,000 members and that Sydney crowd an average attendance next year.....

So what are the lesson we can learn so far from this season? Not saying I have the answers and I haven't really been following this thread, but:

- Crowds are increasing slowly, but it feels like a sustainable increase, we haven't had a real marquee, our marketing has been fairly low key, etc...

- We will end up with around 7,500 average by the end of the season, are we happy with this? I suppose if we project our numbers over the next couple of seasons we could get to 10,000 by 2014/15 season right? Maybe sooner if we get a marquee and keep winning at home.

- I am a bit disappointed with our lowest attendances for this year, we really have to identify these 'risk' games and push family, friends, colleagues to come along to those.

- Lack of marketing in the off season was a poor effort by the club...I mean how hard can it be to say distribute membership leaflets in postcodes where we know there is a strong football support but not many members, etc...

- We have to completely fill the home end more often, not just when its derby time or when ADP comes to town... we did it for the season opener...

- Lack of marketing in the off season was a poor effort by the club...I mean how hard can it be to say distribute membership leaflets in postcodes where we know there is a strong football support but not many members, etc...

From what I understand this is due to a budget which is next to nothing

From what I understand this is due to a budget which is next to nothing

IMO Melburnian makes some good points. I don't know enough about the terms of engagement of club employees to make absolute statements, but prima facie I would have thought that staff would not exactly be overworked in the off season. The A-League is already being swamped in the media by the AFL pre-season, so it's a disaster if we just shut up shop for several months waiting for next August-September, and the public just forgets that MHFC exists.

6,101. Probably some 800 or so WSW supporters there.

Considering our season, the rain, the KO time and the Grand Prix probably all we could expect.

AAMI Park might look good aesthetically but it's a terrible stadium on a wet day. Around 10,000 seats are exposed to the rain. And outside it's appalling as the water pours off the roof structure on to people making their way to the entrances. I was surprised when Mrs. JW said she was keen to go. We had to abandon our seats on the wing in favour of getting under cover at the Southern End.

Edited by jw1739

Time to consider our final stats for home games this season... So the final average is ~7,050? So we add 600 per season to our (non-derby) average? Great if it continues like that although that means we would have a 10k average by season 2018/19 hmmm so a bit slow rate of growth after all, also these very small increases are easily reversed...

2012-2013:

Total attendance (No. of games): 84,827 (12)

Average: 7,069

Change form 2011-12: +595

Highest two attendances:

Lowest two attendances:

Round 24 vs. ADL: 5,393

Well here it is. Another modest increase on the previous season (which we wouldn't of achieved without ADP). It's time the club pulls it's finger out of it's ass and does something to increase attendances. Along with setting a goal like a 10k average outside of derbies we should make an ambitious promise like never dipping below 7k again. We're from Melbourne FFS, we shouldn't even be dipping below 10k. Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 1

• jw1739 unpinned this topic