Melbourne Football

Stefan Colakovski

Harrison

18 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Im not sure i agree with that re being good for 30 min, not based on what he was putting out there. Other than perhaps a couple games right at the start, where he might have been due a few more minutes, i thought he got given far more chances than his cameos warranted, as much as i wanted him to come on and come good.

I dont disagree re the point with pk and his subs, but i dont really think it changes things much given Cola was 5th banana at best for the front three.

If he wanted more consistent game time, he was unlikely to find it here.

I consider that his lack of game time directly contributed to his decline in performance. As you said, at the start of the season his performance was fine, but declined from there.

• Like 2

Just now, malloy said:

I consider that his lack of game time directly contributed to his decline in performance. As you said, at the start of the season his performance was fine, but declined from there.

I thought he got the yips personally. Which tbf often comes from pressure to impact in a short period of time, but regardless, the answer to that in a team environment isnt more minutes to play yourself into form.

14 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

So does JMac but he is forgiven.

I reckon his 70 odd goals and 3 consecutive Golden Boots might have something to do with that don't you.

In any case though, be it lack of game time or whatever, by end of season you can't say Stef's form warranted any more game time.

• Like 4

I don't know how some of these conclusions are being drawn TBH. For the whole season he had only 607 minutes on the field, and only 2 full matches. IMO the main reason for the sadness is that he was like a stick of rock - Heart and City all the way through. A real life "Boys' Own" hero.

The club twitter has a short highlights package where you can relive some of his best moments.

For a kid with raw talent, who could absolutely come on and create attacking opportunities, and who was developed by the club, as a true fan of the team he played for, it would have been devastating to watch from the bench week after week, especially when he knew the game needed a spark ... only to not get any real chance or minutes ... no minutes in the GF either. I remember a game where he ran on for about 15 seconds, then the final whistle went

Fuck the way PK managed this kid. Killed a crucial year of his development. I don't blame him for leaving ... I hope he scores against us, runs to PK and stares him down.

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, bt50 said:

I think there's some huge overreactions in this thread.

We all loved Stef from a purists point of view, and he obv was able to stand up in the finals last year when we needed him to.

But lets be totally honest, he's nowhere near the level of the starting front three, and Tilio had gone well past him as well. Tbf i'd argue even Bos posed a bigger threat on the showings of the seasons past, where he regressed in all honesty.

Don't get me wrong, i'd still have him on our books sub-100k in a heart beat cos a) there's def potential in him and he's young, and b) he's a fan's and marketers dream, but let's not kid ourselves that he's worth any more than that, esp when we have a cap to deal with.

And you know what, i reckon we'd have had an offer on the table for around that amount.

At his point in his career he has to decide whats best for him; is he content to be a bit part player in a championship contending side, trying to force his way in, or does he go elsewhere seeking more minutes to establish himself. I'm sure it was a hard decision for him and ultimately he's moving for more game time and to further his career, i don't think its a sleight on any of the parties tbh.

Let's hope he smashes it and returns to us when he's established.

I usually agree with you but I think you've been a bit quick to jump on the 'forum negativity' bandwagon here bt. The comments I've seen here have been generally of disappointment, nothing more. The few that are calling for PK to move on have been doing so anyway prior to this. 

He showed enough signs last season to be played more. His decline is a direct correlation to his game time/management. And damn right if he's putting in the club, or PK,  should be aiming to do everything they can to nurture him further exactly for this reason. 

8 hours ago, bt50 said:

I thought he got the yips personally. Which tbf often comes from pressure to impact in a short period of time, but regardless, the answer to that in a team environment isnt more minutes to play yourself into form.

Whether he got the yips is extremely subjective. However even then game time is 99% of the solution.* Working within the sporting coaching scene i can guarantee you that. 

*this is specifically related to when you have barely played any competitive matches. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, n i k o said:

I usually agree with you but I think you've been a bit quick to jump on the 'forum negativity' bandwagon here bt. The comments I've seen here have been generally of disappointment, nothing more. The few that are calling for PK to move on have been doing so anyway prior to this. 

He showed enough signs last season to be played more. His decline is a direct correlation to his game time/management. And damn right if he's putting in the club, or PK,  should be aiming to do everything they can to nurture him further exactly for this reason. 

Whether he got the yips is extremely subjective. However even then game time is 99% of the solution.* Working within the sporting coaching scene i can guarantee you that. 

*this is specifically related to when you have barely played any competitive matches. 

Fair enough re the calling for PK's head types, although obviously like all of us the City feedback we get has been painted from a lot of different sources and there's been quite a few reactions from both sides of the fence from all my different conversations that I think are overreactions.
For the record, I'm disappointed he's going too. I envy the connection that gets made to clubs like MV and Broxham for example. Now i dont rate him much, but how good would it be to have a player that is just with us for the journey and becomes a bit of a legend of the club on pure longevity.
I prob see Stef in that not good enough to start at a decent team, but a good A League squaddie category and until i see enough evidence to the contrary he's going to struggle to shake that in my mind. Much like a Fitzy etc

At a personal level more game time is definitely the answer, but not in a team environment where you are underperforming and there is red hot competition for spots. It's where the lack of a reserves league badly hurts our developing products in Australia imo.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, rass said:

I reckon his 70 odd goals and 3 consecutive Golden Boots might have something to do with that don't you.

In any case though, be it lack of game time or whatever, by end of season you can't say Stef's form warranted any more game time.

True. But golden boots are dependent on other teams' performance as well.

My disappointment comes from the fact that he should have had more game time all season. And I would also add that Tilio's performance dropped as the season went by. And Bos was doing well until he got MOTM and has hardly played since. And so, my concern that a pattern is starting to form - establish players are given more time than the youth development.

7 hours ago, NewConvert said:

My disappointment comes from the fact that he should have had more game time all season. And I would also add that Tilio's performance dropped as the season went by. And Bos was doing well until he got MOTM and has hardly played since. And so, my concern that a pattern is starting to form - establish players are given more time than the youth development.

This is very well said. How frustrating must it be for a player to be in the squad, do all the work at training, be named on the bench, see that the game situation is calling out for an impact sub, but then be given very little to ZERO game time (regardless of the ultimate result) ...

Especially when the likes of Jammo or Leckie, and even JMac, are played till they are so stuffed that they are providing a negative contribution.  This approach deprives players of chances, but also of hope ... they would feel that they will have no chance to make a positive contribution, as well as not be able to actually do the job that is their paid profession.  And with a short career window of opportunity for most players, to be frozen out, with no real chance of things changing would be devastating 

• Sad 1

I share this concern. It's reinforced when we see the "established players" being given longer-term contracts. We managed another Premiership of course, so it's hard to call at the moment. I think we'll see next season. With Atkinson, Cola and Metcalfe gone, will there be an Academy product in the starting eleven, or even getting meaningful match time off the bench?

• Like 1