Melbourne Football

Stefan Colakovski

Harrison

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Overall not bad considwring he hasn't had a lot of game time but he did struggle to get his teeth into the match. If I can isolate one phase of play that he has to do better is when he took a nice touch to bypass his player and unfortunately put the ball across the face of the goal which didn't hit a target. He had time though to look up and see Rafael had made a perfectly delayed run into the box and was alone near the 6 yard line. It would have been relatively simple finish. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bellydrum said:

Been disappointing in his past few appearances. Missed some decent opportunities to assist or get a goal himself.

Whether that's the cause or effect of the limited game-time I'm not sure. Hopefully he will turn it around.

He looked better last night, than he did in his previous appearances. I am confident more game time will get him back close to his best.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Anyone know what the issue is with Cola? He didn't feature against Wellington.

Last week he was absent due to the recent loss of a close family member. I'm guessing it's still the case? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

If he left purely on this season and the complete lack of game time.

Then PK can go jump. 

If I remember correctly at the start of the season he got no minutes at all, game after game. The media enquired about it and PK mumbled something about the process and that he needs to work harder. I reckon damage was done earlier in the season, also perhaps negotiating a new contract back then.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, rass said:

Confirmed, gone.

https://melbournecityfc.com.au/news/stefan-colakovski-departs-melbourne-city-fc-2?fbclid=IwAR3QJZmjBtdtlueIrOe3FKuzRIHGLcp-2nRCsFm0p_-dMeAMF1h3pR87WBQ

direct from club's webpage.

fucking sucks.  always loved watching him play. very bitter sweat - hopefully it means he has another aleague side lined up where he'll actually get to do more than warm the bench / have a coach willing to make subs

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

https://melbournecityfc.com.au/news/stefan-colakovski-departs-melbourne-city-fc-2?fbclid=IwAR3QJZmjBtdtlueIrOe3FKuzRIHGLcp-2nRCsFm0p_-dMeAMF1h3pR87WBQ

direct from club's webpage.

fucking sucks.  always loved watching him play. very bitter sweat - hopefully it means he has another aleague side lined up where he'll actually get to do more than warm the bench / have a coach willing to make subs

There's strong murmurs that he's going to Perth... 

33 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

There's strong murmurs that he's going to Perth... 

had heard that.  i think the rumour has has been swirling for a good month - maybe why PK has ensured Cola has been frozen out too (doesnt explain earlier in the season but maybe more recent times). 

either way, i just hope the young lad has a team willing to give him a red hot crack and has a good coach to learn from.

Just now, mattyh001 said:

had heard that.  i think the rumour has has been swirling for a good month - maybe why PK has ensured Cola has been frozen out too (doesnt explain earlier in the season but maybe more recent times). 

either way, i just hope the young lad has a team willing to give him a red hot crack and has a good coach to learn from.

How could he not be a starter at Perth? I don't see him learning much from Zadkovich... 

7 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

How could he not be a starter at Perth? I don't see him learning much from Zadkovich... 

i won't be holding my breath on whatever club until it's confirmed - rumours are like farts in the wind.  agree about Zadkovich, which should have everybody worried if Cola does go there ....

13 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Very saddened by this news. Cola gave his heart and soul to this club. If his departure really is due to PK then I join the "PK out" chorus.

I’m afraid we will never find out knowing this club.

The team looking very frustrated at each other on the park, I suspect things aren’t well behind the scenes either.

Then again maybe it was all the player himself wanting to move on, however you would think an lower level European adventure might be more appealing than another A-league club.

Edited by Mr MO

If he caused any problem within the playing group or wasn't pulling his own weight in training then better for him to try a new environment.

If it's anything otherwise then its a big fuck up from PK and co. Nurturing a player that supports the club from young should be priority.  

• Like 5

I think there's some huge overreactions in this thread.

We all loved Stef from a purists point of view, and he obv was able to stand up in the finals last year when we needed him to.

But lets be totally honest, he's nowhere near the level of the starting front three, and Tilio had gone well past him as well. Tbf i'd argue even Bos posed a bigger threat on the showings of the seasons past, where he regressed in all honesty.

Don't get me wrong, i'd still have him on our books sub-100k in a heart beat cos a) there's def potential in him and he's young, and b) he's a fan's and marketers dream, but let's not kid ourselves that he's worth any more than that, esp when we have a cap to deal with.

And you know what, i reckon we'd have had an offer on the table for around that amount.

At his point in his career he has to decide whats best for him; is he content to be a bit part player in a championship contending side, trying to force his way in, or does he go elsewhere seeking more minutes to establish himself. I'm sure it was a hard decision for him and ultimately he's moving for more game time and to further his career, i don't think its a sleight on any of the parties tbh.

Let's hope he smashes it and returns to us when he's established.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

We all loved Stef from a purists point of view, and he obv was able to stand up in the finals last year when we needed him to.

But lets be totally honest, he's nowhere near the level of the starting front three, and Tilio had gone well past him as well. Tbf i'd argue even Bos posed a bigger threat on the showings of the seasons past, where he regressed in all honesty.

Don't get me wrong, i'd still have him on our books sub-100k in a heart beat cos a) there's def potential in him and he's young, and b) he's a fan's and marketers dream, but let's not kid ourselves that he's worth any more than that, esp when we have a cap to deal with.

And you know what, i reckon we'd have had an offer on the table for around that amount.

At his point in his career he has to decide whats best for him; is he content to be a bit part player in a championship contending side, trying to force his way in, or does he go elsewhere seeking more minutes to establish himself. I'm sure it was a hard decision for him and ultimately he's moving for more game time and to further his career, i don't think its a sleight on any of the parties tbh.

Where’s the huge overreaction?  

I do agree with your view though, people are just disappointed that’s all. 

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Brilliant.

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

I read the reaction as mainly one of sadness and disappointment, that one of our own who grew up loving the club, a Foundation Member no less, and who gave us moments to remember on the field, is leaving. I think I'd be disappointed if the fans didn't react that way.

I wish him all the best for the future.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, malloy said:

This is the problem though, he should have been more than a bit part player. He was good enough to warrant getting 30 mins of game time pretty much every game, especially in the first half of the season where Leckie was just plodding around looking content to collect his pay cheque and do nothing to earn it.

People's reactions are not over the top in my opinion, the reactions are a result of seeing "one of our own" leave for a reason that is likely PK's coaching philosophy of  "I don't make substitutions even when it is blindingly obvious that they need to be made".

Perfectly said! 

3 hours ago, malloy said:

This is the problem though, he should have been more than a bit part player. He was good enough to warrant getting 30 mins of game time pretty much every game, especially in the first half of the season where Leckie was just plodding around looking content to collect his pay cheque and do nothing to earn it.

People's reactions are not over the top in my opinion, the reactions are a result of seeing "one of our own" leave for a reason that is likely PK's coaching philosophy of  "I don't make substitutions even when it is blindingly obvious that they need to be made".

Im not sure i agree with that re being good for 30 min, not based on what he was putting out there. Other than perhaps a couple games right at the start, where he might have been due a few more minutes, i thought he got given far more chances than his cameos warranted, as much as i wanted him to come on and come good.

I dont disagree re the point with pk and his subs, but i dont really think it changes things much given Cola was 5th banana at best for the front three.

If he wanted more consistent game time, he was unlikely to find it here.

Edited by bt50