Melbourne Football

Stefan Colakovski

Harrison

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Even now I reckon this guy is under-estimated. Have a look at Atkinson's goal in the GF again - it's Cola and Tilio who start the move in our own half, and Cola who goes on the run through the Sydney defence before the final pass to Atkinson. It's a great goal in every respect. With this kind of football on show we should be drawing 15,000 to every match.

It was a great run that really highlighted the improvements as a team the past 2 seasons. I thought all 3 of our goals were really great quality! Actually even Barbarouses's was a great finish too... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Even now I reckon this guy is under-estimated. Have a look at Atkinson's goal in the GF again - it's Cola and Tilio who start the move in our own half, and Cola who goes on the run through the Sydney defence before the final pass to Atkinson. It's a great goal in every respect. With this kind of football on show we should be drawing 15,000 to every match.

when you look back to our 2-1 win against Geelong United early this season, you will see the quality run Colakovski made down the right to get onto that magical ball from Luna - Colakovski lays the perfect first time ball across for Maclaren to score a simple tap in from 6 yards.  it's around the 3 minute mark below

i remember thinking at the time that for all the hype around the Luna through ball (which again, was magical) not enough was made of Colacovski's run.  his ability to spoke a run, ghost past his opponent, take a ball on first time at pace - pure class.

it was the same when Colacovski scored in the semi.  got into a good position, ghosted his opponent and scored what he made to look a simple goal.  Tilio put in a great cross, but again i think Colacovski's performance was under appreciated. 

the fact he can play wide and play centrally at front shouldn't be underestimated 

edit:

i wouldnt be surprised if this reason is the exact reason that both Kamau and Wales both copped a lot of shit - our fans just expect this level of quality from our wingers.  maybe some of our fans unfairly believe this is norm, when in fact this level of quality is above the level of normal Aussie wingers in the a league

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 2

The other "Cola moment" in the GF is the little dink over the defence by Atkinson and Cola takes it on the volley while turning and it required a huge reflex save from Heward-Belle to stop a third goal at that point.

Edited by jw1739

After his goal in the first derby I was a bit worried about the Cola hype. I was nervous that we as fans would be so happy to have one of our own coming through the ranks we would be very forgiving of him, and for a while after the derby he looked a touch off and didn’t seem to be quite up to scratch. But the last few weeks of the season he stood up and showed he is genuinely a brilliant player. Incredibly impressed by him

• Like 6

1 hour ago, GreenSeater said:

After his goal in the first derby I was a bit worried about the Cola hype. I was nervous that we as fans would be so happy to have one of our own coming through the ranks we would be very forgiving of him, and for a while after the derby he looked a touch off and didn’t seem to be quite up to scratch. But the last few weeks of the season he stood up and showed he is genuinely a brilliant player. Incredibly impressed by him

Certainly is very special that one of the fans is now playing for the club!! But not only playing, but performing very well too! Excited to see how he, Tilio and Metcalfe go next season! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Certainly is very special that one of the fans is now playing for the club!! But not only playing, but performing very well too! Excited to see how he, Tilio and Metcalfe go next season! 

They are going to push the "senior" players all the way. I can see PK being faced with some tough selection choices.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

They are going to push the "senior" players all the way. I can see PK being faced with some tough selection choices.

It's a damn good problem to have at the moment. As someone mentioned the other day, we could field an 11 with just our local players and be very competitive! 

Glover

Galloway  Good  Griffiths  Jamieson 

O'Neil 

Atkinson.                           Metcalfe 

Leckie.        Maclaren     Nabbout 

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

But this is exactly what we've been yearning for all these seasons. 

A balanced squad with quality 16/17 players and the promise of youth as backup as opposed to journeyman. 

As the offseason kicks in and we start pontificating on the squad I think we still need to strengthen, and in paticular use atleast  4 visa spots. 

I know many are over it with Frenchy, but I'd keep him as well as Nuno and if Luna stays I'd keep. 

So for me id be looking at 2 replacements for Noone and Tsubaki (visa as opposed to position) and 1 more A League senior player. 

Happy days. 

Edited by Jovan

On 05/07/2021 at 12:22 PM, jw1739 said:

Exactly what we want. Brings the best out of every player with that kind of competition. Probably can’t keep them all for too long but we’re set for another season or two at least.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

If he goes there the shit really will hit the fan. He's one of us and more popular than any manager.

Agreed. I say again, what's the point of running an Academy if all you are doing is producing players for other clubs. It's not as if we're overly-successful in terms of trophies to keep supporters happy.

According to PK hes training and all is well. No reason he isn't getting game time from that perspective. If the rumour is true about WU, is he wanting to leave now because of his current dissatisfaction or was he sniffing around at a move earlier this season and PK isn't giving him game time as a result. I'm not quite ready to take a side on this but if there's any truth to the rumour it is overall very disappointing.  

If PK is not playing him now because he was looking at moving elsewhere at some stage (bearing in mind he's contracted to the end of the current season) then logically that isn't going to encourage him to stay, is it? It's more likely to piss him off completely. If you want him to stay the logical approach is to give him more match time, not less.

IMO Cola is a our player, and he proved last season that he's worthy of a lot more match time than he's getting now, irrespective of his contract status. It's not as if we're leading the field without him. FMD, blokes like Berenguer and Leckie wandering around like long-lost sheep and this guy is sitting on the bench. Doesn't make sense.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

If PK is not playing him now because he was looking at moving elsewhere at some stage (bearing in mind he's contracted to the end of the current season) then logically that isn't going to encourage him to stay, is it? It's more likely to piss him off completely. If you want him to stay the logical approach is to give him more match time, not less.

IMO Cola is a our player, and he proved last season that he's worthy of a lot more match time than he's getting now, irrespective of his contract status. It's not as if we're leading the field without him. FMD, blokes like Berenguer and Leckie wandering around like long-lost sheep and this guy is sitting on the bench. Doesn't make sense.

We are going of a rumor from the infamous @kingofhearts!!!!!!

• Haha 1