Melbourne Football

Groundskeeper Awards

KSK_47

I know, I know- small things amuse small minds, but I have always had a fascination with the patterns on football pitches. Particularly after finding out it is all done for nothing more than aesthetics.

So, this thread is dedicated to those wacky groundskeepers who buck the trends and come up with more interesting patterns than boring old stripes/checkers

22050_292686811569_765987_n.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Now this is amazing! I have often wondered how it is actually done, is it just different heights when they cut or something?

I'm no expert but I've heard that with these patterns you can barely see them when your actually on the grass as it is simply grass being pressed in different directions.

Now this is amazing! I have often wondered how it is actually done, is it just different heights when they cut or something?

I'm no expert but I've heard that with these patterns you can barely see them when your actually on the grass as it is simply grass being pressed in different directions.

You are correct. The heavier the mower the more obvious the pattern.

Depends if the mower has rollers behind the reels as well, rolling it causes the grass to sit a certain way giving it the light and dark look when you go up and down, or whatever pattern you desire. Also some grass stripes up a lot better than others, and finally the more you cut over the same lines the darker it will get 'burning' the pattern into the turf.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

And i can assure you that it would have been a nightmare to cut. This was taking the aesthetic effect a bit far as when you are at ground level you would not be able to see it or not much of it anyway. Groundspersons /Grenkeepers 

change the direction of cut on a regular basis so as not to make either bounce or roll favour either side playing on it. It also helps with the correct growth and health of the grass and to overcome difficult areas of growth as these occur on most closely maintained arena's.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just caught the highlights from the overnight Premier League action and noticed Southampton's funky pitch design. Looks like their groundskeeper is wanting a job as a Warrior kit designer or something.

460022770857164800.jpg

d0096139-7d72-47e4-8063-2dbdc955dbbc-460

13393955851071814455521939456_16f54deb1d

*not the best pics 

Edited by KSK_47

Just caught the highlights from the overnight Premier League action and noticed Southampton's funky pitch design. Looks like their groundskeeper is wanting a job as a Warrior kit designer or something.

460022770857164800.jpg

*not the best pics 

I also watched the same game, i think the groundsman put a lot of thought and planning into the final design which i thought looked really good you have to realise that these stadiums are on national and global television and have to be presented well and also maintained well, they did a great job as the commentaters kept remarking about it throughout the match.

460022770857164800.jpg

*not the best pics

I also watched the same game, i think the groundsman put a lot of thought and planning into the final design which i thought looked really good you have to realise that these stadiums are on national and global television and have to be presented well and also maintained well, they did a great job as the commentaters kept remarking about it throughout the match.

I also really liked the way the pattern changed depending on the angle. Really well though out and must have been incredibly difficult to execute.

Very few things in life make me happier than seeing interesting pitch design.

Honestly though, whilst we may be having a laugh about the lines when the real groundsman do's the lines he puts down a string line pulled tight between the points he wishes to line and then follows that string line.

The person that did these lines was not very experienced at all and should really be embarrassed about his/her efforts.

soccerfieldfail2.jpg

soccerfieldfail3.jpg

the groundsman must have had a big night out doing the lines lol.

Fixed

Honestly though, whilst we may be having a laugh about the lines when the real groundsman do's the lines he puts down a string line pulled tight between the points he wishes to line and then follows that string line.

The person that did these lines was not very experienced at all and should really be embarrassed about his/her efforts.

• Like 1