kingawesomeness

I dont take that many supplements in all honesty. Right now I take:

Whey

Casein

Multi

Fish Oil

BCAAs

pre workout

I also have some creatine coming in, but thats dirt cheap and pretty much the only legal supplement that is proven significantly effective so why not.

Only using pre workout because I have it, wont be buying any more.

BCAAs have had the same tub for ages from when I first done fasted training and using it again for that now, but its probably not even necessary for that so might not buy again.

Whey I buy because I cbf eating a lot of meat

Casein I buy because its more enjoyable to drink than whey

So only ones I would drop I'm probably going to drop anyway.

Its mainly the protein powder which I use a lot and costs me a lot.

By main lifts you mean squat, bench, dead or you also want press and row?

Look at getting a blended whey/casein protein perhaps?

In reality, protein requirements aren't as high as most think, if you have protein from food at breakfast, lunch and dinner, you will probably be sorted for the day.

Yeah, squat (side on), deadlift (side on), bench press (45 degrees), barbell row (side on), overhead press (side on), chin ups (max reps, from behind).

Look at getting a blended whey/casein protein perhaps?

Yeah, actually interested in that, i dont know why whey and casein separate are so popular when maintaining the natural protein mix found in milk surely cant be inferior (silly humans, thinking they can beat nature) and would probably be cheaper since they dont have to isolate the whey and casein.

Yeah, squat (side on), deadlift (side on), bench press (45 degrees), barbell row (side on), overhead press (side on), chin ups (max reps, from behind).

i'll get onto it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22158142

Thoughts lads?

Basically says that doing 8 sets of squats is much more effective at developing strength than the usual 3-4.

cbf checking fulltext but it would matter how many times a week this squatting was done. If it turns out it was 3 times a week and 8 sets was proved more effective, that would be interesting. If it was once a week, well then of course 8 sets is going to be better.

Edited by Tesla

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22158142

Thoughts lads?

Basically says that doing 8 sets of squats is much more effective at developing strength than the usual 3-4.

Re-read the abstract: 8 sets was significantly different from 1 set, but not 4 sets, nor was 4 sets significantly different from one set.

8 set group improved on average 19.5%, whilst 1 set group was 10.8%. 4 set group was 14.4%.

They did a standardised 3 week program, then were randomised into 1, 4 or 8 set groups. Each set of squats was taken to failure. Split was Chest/Shoulders/Triceps on one day, back and legs on the other (squats were the only leg and lower back exercise done). Each muscle group was trained twice per week.

There was no sig diff in avg repetitions per set.

So you are better off doing four sets than 8 from a time and effort point of view - law of diminishing returns kicks in.

However, you would be better off (imo) doing lower rep, heavy lifting one day and then to failure on the other day (or dynamic (speed) work instead) if the goal is to increase max strength (measured by 1RM).

Once again, thanks tachy for your always helpful information. Much appreciated.

mind blown at how much a difference proper chinup form with tight core, knees bent at 90 degrees, back somewhat arched makes compared to just hanging down with a bit of bend in the knees.

Yeah, has become one of my favourite exercises now, nothing compares to trying to complete that final rep. Also amazed at how much strength I've gained in my biceps from them, haven't even touched curlz.

Yeah, has become one of my favourite exercises now, nothing compares to trying to complete that final rep.

How I feel about press. That last rep, just managing to get it overhead. Feelsgoodman.

Also amazed at how much strength I've gained in my biceps from them, haven't even touched curlz.

But bro, how will your biceps grow if you dont work them. I do 20 sets of bicep curls every session, I hate when someone is doing squats in the curls rack ffs.

Some kunt was defs trolling me the other day, actually took two dumbbells over to the squat rack and starting curling. I was serz mad brah.

Doesn't beat the kid from school who thought that finishing his workout out with 50 reps of curls was going to make him swole. Oh gawd how I laughed.

• Like 1

mind blown at how much a difference proper chinup form with tight core, knees bent at 90 degrees, back somewhat arched makes compared to just hanging down with a bit of bend in the knees.

This is something I often forget to explain online, or when talking with people, but when I'm coaching in person, is definitely an important point that I don't miss.

It applies to most exercises: for instance, in the squat, pull yourself down with your hip flexors and then you will get a sling shot effect out of the hole.

For push ups, you pull yourself down to the floor before pressing up.

Row the bar down to you for bench presses.

For back exercises, think constant tension, and shoulder blade (not arm movement).

Watch bodybuilders train (good ones) on youtube, they use a what appears to be a limited ROM on back exercises, but they are just focusing the work where it needs to be. Watch how Dexter Jackson keeps tension on his lats - for growth, time under tension is king.

You still need strength to be able to use a decent load though, so beginner's should focus on strength. Once you have a based level of strength, a powerbuilding approach works best imo - heavy lift per body part followed by moderate/higher rep work focusing on TUT.

I would have thought someone that big is at least 90kg

This is what I was referring back too, re: muscle bellies and bone size.

But considering you read a lot of Martin Berkhan's stuff, you should realise that for naturals maximum lean mass is roughly your height in cm - 100 +/- a few kg depending on such genetic factors.

Interesting. Haven't read whatever article he has said that in.

I've been thinking for my next bulk to try some high volume training, surely it will force my body to grow?

Also how much volume do you think i can get away with while cutting? i'm tired of this low volume shit, doesnt feel like a proper workout. What if I cut to 2 days of fullbody training a week, would that allow for more volume as there is more time to rest even though calorie intake is low? It would also make fat loss faster since off days is when I have my calorie deficet.

I was so over this low volume training that today I done a session of

8 set bench

8 set chinup

16 sets of accessories, all of those compounds apart from a couple of sets of barbell curls I done for the lols.

Felt good, thats the kind of routine I am contemplating for when I am ready to bulk again, and then do upper, lower, day off, repeat (so 4 workouts in 6 days). Tempted to add even more volume but, with the amount of rest I like between sets, something like this would take around 90 mins, add stretching and warmup and it becomes 2 hours. Wouldnt want to be at the gym longer than that.

Obviously wont be doing this for now while cutting, but I just felt like putting in a hard session today, its been to long.

Edited by Tesla

Interesting. Haven't read whatever article he has said that in.

I've been thinking for my next bulk to try some high volume training, surely it will force my body to grow?

Also how much volume do you think i can get away with while cutting? i'm tired of this low volume shit, doesnt feel like a proper workout. What if I cut to 2 days of fullbody training a week, would that allow for more volume as there is more time to rest even though calorie intake is low? It would also make fat loss faster since off days is when I have my calorie deficet.

I was so over this low volume training that today I done a session of

8 set bench

8 set chinup

16 sets of accessories, all of those compounds apart from a couple of sets of barbell curls I done for the lols.

Felt good, thats the kind of routine I am contemplating for when I am ready to bulk again, and then do upper, lower, day off, repeat (so 4 workouts in 6 days). Tempted to add even more volume but, with the amount of rest I like between sets, something like this would take around 90 mins, add stretching and warmup and it becomes 2 hours. Wouldnt want to be at the gym longer than that.

Obviously wont be doing this for now while cutting, but I just felt like putting in a hard session today, its been to long.

For cutting, look into something like this: http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/291/German_Body_Comp_for_Athletes.aspx

For bulking:

Go for a power building route - 1 heavy compound, 1 moderate compound, 1 isolation/light compound per large muscle muscle group

Can split as day1 chest/back, day 2 legs/abs, day 3 off, day 4 shoulders/arms, day 5 off then repeat.

Heavy 3-5x3-5

Moderate 2-4x8-12

Light 2-4 x 10-15

Basic barbell exercises for heavy lift, moderate go for DB/BW/Cables light go DB/BW/Machines/Cables.

Day 1 = 6 exercises

Day 2 = ~8 exercises (2 for abs - if wanted)

Day 3 = 9 exercises, but arms aren't as draining

Edited by tachycardia

For cutting, look into something like this: http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/291/German_Body_Comp_for_Athletes.aspx

For bulking:

Go for a power building route - 1 heavy compound, 1 moderate compound, 1 isolation/light compound per large muscle muscle group

Can split as day1 chest/back, day 2 legs/abs, day 3 off, day 4 shoulders/arms, day 5 off then repeat.

Heavy 3-5x3-5

Moderate 2-4x8-12

Light 2-4 x 10-15

Basic barbell exercises for heavy lift, moderate go for DB/BW/Cables light go DB/BW/Machines/Cables.

Day 1 = 6 exercises

Day 2 = ~8 exercises (2 for abs - if wanted)

Day 3 = 9 exercises, but arms aren't as draining

Hmm, so you dont see much benefit to any more volume than that?

There is gym equipment everywhere you look mate. I promise you. Mate of mine is big and very well defined and has never set foot in a traditional . He used chairs for dips, he does inverted push ups off his bed, bicep curls bags of rice/plaster etc, body weight squats or chucks a two sacks of rice/plaster over his shoulders, upside down handstand press against the wall etc

here's an article detailing my favourite gym free exercise. Cloth flys. check em out. theyre great.

vq4qqx.jpg

lol that last one in BH's post has to be BS.

Check out this dude OmegaBlaze, claims he only does calisthenics. Tempted to believe him, however he would surely also have the strongest case of black genetics I ever seen.

I like bodyweight exercises because they do also improve balance and not just strength.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know about getting blood tests done privately? The process involved, costs, etc.

All path labs need a referral from a doctor. Most can bulk bill if you ask them. Otherwise you'll get charged for the most expensive three tests on the referral and the others should be covered by Medicare (AFAIK). You can't walk into a path branch and ask for tests to be done, though.

All path labs need a referral from a doctor. Most can bulk bill if you ask them. Otherwise you'll get charged for the most expensive three tests on the referral and the others should be covered by Medicare (AFAIK). You can't walk into a path branch and ask for tests to be done, though.

Only in Australia.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/initial-body-fat-and-body-composition-changes.html

Not sure if feelsgoodman or feelsbadman.

First part, everytime I bulked was above 15%bf so explains lack of gains so just need to get lean first, feelsgoodman.

Second part, even if get lean first it wont help much and wont be the same as naturally lean person, feelsbadman.

Third part, get down to 10-12% bf and bulk to 15% bf should result in good results, feelsgoodman.

In comments, Lyle - "The dieted down person will never achieve the same physiology as the genetically lean", feelsbadman.

feels_fdbfe8_806026.jpg

Edited by Tesla