Melbourne Football

Matchday 16: v Perth - Saturday 25th January 7.30pm at AAMI Park

Harrison

The more I reflect on last week the more I feel it was an exercise in defensive mentality and keeping a clean sheet - addressing our culture and mindset. It was probably an exercise to prepare us for Perth, who will go for the jugular.

We are going to have to be at our best. Noone, Jmac and Luna need to continue their form. My guess it we will play 2 DMs with Griffo and Brilliante to try and break down Perths attack. Goals will be hard to come by, so a loss or draw is more likely. At our best, though, we just might scrape in. 

This is the biggest game of the season to date. COYCB

1 hour ago, JMSTEP123 said:

The more I reflect on last week the more I feel it was an exercise in defensive mentality and keeping a clean sheet - addressing our culture and mindset. It was probably an exercise to prepare us for Perth, who will go for the jugular.

But then we will have to score first! I struggle to see we are going to break then down with our current game, we seem to be stuck with that. Don’t get me wrong I’ll be happy if we score first.

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

But then we will have to score first! I struggle to see we are going to break then down with our current game, we seem to be stuck with that. Don’t get me wrong I’ll be happy if we score first.

We have to go central and our fb's have to provide the width, winning the midfield battle will be key I think.

Edited by moops

44 minutes ago, Nate said:

have we played in a 0-0 this season?

if not, I'm betting this one will be the first.

First Derby. Could be a nil all if we defend well.

Says a lot.

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

I agree 👍

17 hours ago, moops said:

We have to go central and our fb's have to provide the width, winning the midfield battle will be key I think.

Agree with this. What I hope we see is an unchanged midfield plus Susaeta and Noone trying to play through them. Their system gives them compactness and a lot of deep protection but not a lot of control over the middle third because they’ve basically just got the two midfielders (Kilkenny and Juande/Brimmer) versus our three. Get past the first pressing line and it’s 3v2. So it gives us a good foundation to break them down but like you say, the width from our FBs is important because there will be space there. But I hope we resist the temptation to always go out wide (like last time) because it’s safer and easier. Keep our FBs wide and it stretches their back 5, which is very important.

We can produce attacking width like this but attacking depth will be much trickier. As always, fast combination play is the best way to break them down and maybe we see a deeper line from us to stretch them a bit and produce space between lines.

Brillante will need to be fucking brilliant when they come for us though.  

4 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

This game won’t be easy, but I don’t see why we can’t win it.

Having access to some quality on the bench will be a big help, not to mention actually being able to train.

Good point, that last one. He said yesterday in the press conference that we were able to hold five training sessions for the first time in a while.