Melbourne Football

Michael Ballack

Torn Asunder

Exactly, we would not like to hurt Hoff's legions of fans and take his spot as Central Bench away from him.

Most droll :D Whilst I agree with you about Hoff's bench warming prospects, we only have 3 squad places left, Hoff has a contract to play with us this year and so signing another midfielder just effectively drops our squad size by 1, we are better off using the opportunities where they will be most useful. I think that this is one of the lessons we learned last year when we couldn't have kept Madaschi even if he already hadn't signed a contract as we have no squad spaces.

Most droll :D Whilst I agree with you about Hoff's bench warming prospects, we only have 3 squad places left, Hoff has a contract to play with us this year and so signing another midfielder just effectively drops our squad size by 1, we are better off using the opportunities where they will be most useful. I think that this is one of the lessons we learned last year when we couldn't have kept Madaschi even if he already hadn't signed a contract as we have no squad spaces.

madaschi would not have signed for us on full time contract even if we had the space. He was always going O/S. If he wanted a full contract he would be playing with victory. They werent willing to give him a short term contract so he came to us because we were willing to do that.

madaschi would not have signed for us on full time contract even if we had the space. He was always going O/S. If he wanted a full contract he would be playing with victory. They werent willing to give him a short term contract so he came to us because we were willing to do that.

Yes, I know. My point thoughh is that the club doesn't want to be caught in the same position again and that's why the playing roster isn't full. There seems little point filling it with players we already have too many of. If we were talking Messi then I'd gladly make an exception :rolleyes:

Yes, I know. My point thoughh is that the club doesn't want to be caught in the same position again and that's why the playing roster isn't full. There seems little point filling it with players we already have too many of. If we were talking Messi then I'd gladly make an exception :rolleyes:

michael ballack is of much higher calibre than the players we would be leaving space in the squad for.. I dont see why we would leave space in the cap when such a great player is available (i do know we wont him cos we cant afford him. Just think its silly to say dont sign him so we can have room in the squad to sign some one of much lesser abiity at a later point)

• Like 2

Isn't the point that we already have five visa players? So, unless we negotiate a release for one of those, or one becomes an Australian pretty quickly, we can't sign Ballack other than as a guest player for 10 matches? And I think I read somewhere that he's rejected that idea anyway.

If we're going to start negotiating releases for players I can think of several I'd prefer to release rather than our current visa players.

Forget Ballack for this year. Give it our best with what we've got and see whether we can be competitive without throwing money everywhere. At the end of 2012-13 there'll be several more players moving on, so perhaps then we'll have to rethink our strategy.

Isn't the point that we already have five visa players? So, unless we negotiate a release for one of those, or one becomes an Australian pretty quickly, we can't sign Ballack other than as a guest player for 10 matches? And I think I read somewhere that he's rejected that idea anyway.

If we're going to start negotiating releases for players I can think of several I'd prefer to release rather than our current visa players.

Forget Ballack for this year. Give it our best with what we've got and see whether we can be competitive without throwing money everywhere. At the end of 2012-13 there'll be several more players moving on, so perhaps then we'll have to rethink our strategy.

I thought i read somewhere that fred was becoming naturalised. regardless I agree that we won't be signing ballack, just don't agree with some of what is being said about saving space in squad for a good player, but discounting ballack as a player who warrants giving up this "space to move"

• Like 1

michael ballack is of much higher calibre than the players we would be leaving space in the squad for.. I dont see why we would leave space in the cap when such a great player is available (i do know we wont him cos we cant afford him. Just think its silly to say dont sign him so we can have room in the squad to sign some one of much lesser abiity at a later point)

No I don't think that we should sign someone of lesser ability, we should try and sign someone of similar ability but a defender not a midfielder.

... just don't agree with some of what is being said about saving space in squad for a good player, but discounting ballack as a player who warrants giving up this "space to move"

And I'm with you there. I would have thought that Ballack was precisely the sort of player we are leaving spaces open for provided the price is right. We might have plenty of midfielders, but none of them can get anywhere near to holding a candle to Ballack. Jeez, 98 appearances for Germany with 42 goals...playing Bundesliga last season...why say more?

As above, perhaps we will change our strategy in the future and leave a visa place open 'just in case.' I think we'll have to because there's a risk that we're just going to be left behind by the other clubs. I'd rather see one player like Ballack than five mediocre visa players.