Melbourne Football

Newcastle Jest

KSK_47

Rudan has had a bit of NPL experience, but ideally should have been an assistant in the A League before taking a senior role. Anyway he talks a good story on Fox.

aloisi definitely needs a stint as an assistant to learn how to coach, but I don't think that appointment would do Rudan any favours, he needs an experienced assistant.

Rudan has had a bit of NPL experience, but ideally should have been an assistant in the A League before taking a senior role. Anyway he talks a good story on Fox.

aloisi definitely needs a stint as an assistant to learn how to coach, but I don't think that appointment would do Rudan any favours, he needs an experienced assistant.

Making comments after the fact on a tv show is a whole lot different. Even Aloisi sounds sane on TV.

Anywhom apparently his NPL career issnt too crash hot anyway?

Making comments after the fact on a tv show is a whole lot different. 

True enough.  But he did make astute comments on things like defender technique and positioning , which I found very interesting and presented himself a lot better than a whole host of other TV pundits (eg Foster, Slater, Aloisi, Kosmina).

It would be a big step up for him and (back to my other point) to make it he would need someone with considerable experience to help him, not to say "Here Marko, have a tinny brother, geez we were unlucky today, I was sure that Indonesian striker we brought in would have won a few more headers against Topor Stanley".

On the 29th of December 2009 I turned up to Newcastle Jets training facility after we had agreed to a short term deal, I was to sign for 6 months over the period of the Asian Champions League as the team was short on troops. I recall the original conversation when I was contacted by the club, my concern was that i was not match fit and needed a good 6-8 weeks of work under my belt. This was not an issue as there was some time before the Champions league kicked off.

A mutual friend drove me up to Newcastle and we left quite early in the morning to arrive in time for the teams training session, once I had arrived he spoke with a number of club staff and bid farewell. I was advised a club person would be waiting for me after training to take me to the hotel that had been arranged.

This is where I got my first taste of the Newcastle Jets and Garry Van Egmond, what a disaster!

Fortunately I had a few mates playing at the Jets and with their assistance I managed to get some training apparel, I had to scrounge for some strapping tape and strapped myself prior to training, not a real drama but I’d been at clubs like Adelaide United where these things don’t happen, players arrive on trial and they are given a full training kit, jacket, and any treatment needed prior or post training is taken care of by club doctor or physio. Either way this was not an issue for me personally, I didn’t mind strapping my ankle or wearing odd sized training gear, it just seemed unprofessional and generally when the back end is a mess its a reflection of the total operation.

Training was tough, an intense session and the boys had a real blow out, it was New Year’s Eve the next day so the club gave the boys a 2 day holiday, I guess Garry wanted to give the team a nice solid hit out before the 2 day lay off. I remember looking at poor old Spencer Prior during the session, veins were bulging out his neck and the heat was near unbearable… No doubt I battled through the session but I was happy to do the work and get some k’s into my legs.

Garry didn’t say two words to me that morning, we shook hands on arrival and then we were into it. After training I was a little unsure who to speak to, I started to get a little concerned as the playing group were leaving the training ground, I was waiting for one of the coaching staff or club staff to take me to the hotel but even they were taking off without looking back. I asked a few guys where I was staying but no one knew anything, the next minute I’m left standing in the driveway of the training facility all alone with just my suitcase, everyone had gone and I had no idea what to do.

After about half an hour Kaz Petafta drove past, obviously it was a little strange to see me standing on the side of the road with a suitcase, he stopped and offered me a lift, the thing was I didn’t know where to go, we went to grab a bite to eat and bumped into Mark Milligan and Justin Pasfield, two good friends of mine, I was relieved to see them, once I had explained what had happened they started calling Craig Deans and a couple of club staff, Craig said he would organise something and that he would be in touch within an hour. Milsy just threw my suitcase in his car and took me to his place to relax for the afternoon, we had a swim down the beach and just lazed around the apartment waiting for someone to call or come and pick me up. Around 10pm I figured no one was calling, nor were they coming to pick me up, I crashed in Milsy’s spare room and slept like a baby.

I woke up on New Years Eve to a message from Garry Van Egmond, he was sorry to inform I was no longer required and wished me all the best. Probably not ideal news to wake up to but I figured I’d call him back to get some sort of explanation, of course he would not answer my calls nor did he ever return them.

I was now stuck in Newcastle on New Years Eve. Between Mark and Justin we managed to get a hold of Craig Deans, his solution to get me home was to throw me on a train back to wollongong. Luckily for Craig when he picked me up to take me to the train station he had his kids in the car because had they not have been there I may have told him exactly how I felt. To top off the most humiliating 2 days of my life Craig then tried to hand over a $20 note for my train ride home. Needless to say I declined and left the car without a word. Of course the train schedules were all over the place due to the New Years celebrations so 3 changeovers and 8 hours it took me to get home.

I’m experienced enough to realise the reason behind Van Egmonds decision not to sign me, I’m also experienced enough to know that how Garry and the Jets treated me over the two days was a disgrace to say the least!

Football is a matter of opinion and I understand that, I’m a realist, I was released by Adelaide United for no other reason than I wasn’t good enough to be there, I had my oportunities and never took them. I was also given the respect by Aurelio who pulled me aside to personally advise of his decision. I don’t hold any ill feelings toward Aurelio or the club.

However…. In this case with the Jets, the way I was treated was unacceptable and it is my opinion that Garry Van Egmond is a coward, put his coaching ability aside, as a person he is a coward. What would I have done if I didn’t know any of the players? What if I had no phone or no money? I was left to fend for myself by a club I had just agreed to sign with!

My reason for sharing this story is to give my view on what was already a very unprofessional operation, the recent sacking of Phil Stubbins gave me reason to voice my thoughts and I feel that Phil had the right intentions and had the right idea, it was just unfortunate his Boss and Jets owner Nathank Tinkler was trigger happy.

Through past discussions with some good friends who played in Newcastle my opinion is that the Newcastle Jets had developed an unprofessional culture, this culture has just evolved and players were there only for what they had done in the past, not for what they were producing at the time of incident. Joel Griffiths comes to mind, without a doubt one of the best strikers to play in the A-league, David Carney played 50 odd games for the Socceroos, Billy Celevski played over 100 games in the A-League and won the competition with Victory, one of the best midfielders I’ve played with, and we can’t forget Marcos Flores! These guys have a CV to die for.

Where were they on the 14th of November 2014?

They were all at hunter stadium, on the park, getting beat 4-0 by Brisbane Roar, a fortnight later they were back at hunter getting a 3-1 drumming by Wellington. Let’s be realistic here, on paper the Jets had a good squad, but clearly these guys were not playing to their standards. During the trying times these guys should have been the first to stand up and be counted… They went missing!

Sure the administration has plenty to answer in regards to players contracts being torn up or sacking players halfway through a two year deal but if Nathan Tinkler Asked me in December who I’d let go, these guys would have been on my list. Do I agree with the decisions Nathan Made and the way he went about his affairs? No, but I don’t feel that Phil Stubbins is to blame for the poor business decisions made by the Jets owners. I’m sure Phil was asked what he felt needed to happen to turn things around at the club, my guess is that he wanted a change in culture. Remove the old timber for stronger foundations, of course as we all know it’s a very tough thing to do because a player like Joel Griffiths was a club legend. Well if my boss asks me tomorrow what I would change in my workplace I would happily tell him, if he then goes and makes the changes the next day is that my fault? Sure Phil had to then back Tinklers actions but who wouldn’t, Joel Griffiths wasn’t writing Phil’s cheque every week, Tinkler was. (or maybe wasn’t at times) I know Phil Stubbins well, I worked under him, in fact he may have been involved in my release from Adelaide United as he was Aurelio’s assistant, he never done me any personal favours so I’m not tooting his horn but what I will say is that he is about as knowledgeable and passionate as they come, a guy who was approachable at any time and a bloody good coach in my eyes, the game needs more people like Phil and I hope he is not lost to the A-League, I believe he made his choices for the good of the game and that meant russeling a few feathers, the poor treatment of the players involved is in the hands of the administration. The media are quick to jump on any negativity and in this case they cost Phil his job, I would have liked to see the FFA give Phil an opportunity to fulfil his commitment of change in the club, goodness they need it!

An appalling story of the trial. I don't care how broke you are, surely you can honour your commitments and treat people with respect.

Anyway how relevant is that to the poor performance of Newcastle on the field last year?

In regards to the stubbins situation I must say I'm intrigued that the players get what is in effect new contracts whilst the coach gets released.

Don't rate stubbins but I think the squad was pretty ordinary too. I reckon the PFA have pulled strings.

• 3 weeks later...

And looks as though they will be going back to their gold jerseys?

I would not be surprised to see Redmayne end up with them - he comes from Gosford just down the road.

Wow, very bold appointment. Good luck to him. But seriously the shit will hit the fan if he fails, I would have thought an experienced coach would have been the safe bet. FFA obviously know what they are doing, or........

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was a big day for Nathan Tinkler yesterday. He failed to turn up to court after flat out refusing to get on a plane, so there's now a warrant issued for his arrest. Then he decided to sack his whole legal team and hire Adelaide United's chairman as his new Lawyer. :up:

• Like 1

Was a big day for Nathan Tinkler yesterday. He failed to turn up to court after flat out refusing to get on a plane, so there's now a warrant issued for his arrest. Then he decided to sack his whole legal team and hire Adelaide United's chairman as his new Lawyer. :up:

Saw that in the paper.

The big fellas fall from grace is almost complete.  Its more sad than anything- obviously whilst he had a couple of sensational business deals, he's since made a lot of poor ones and has acquired a pretty ordinary reputation into the bargain.

• 5 weeks later...

Its actually kind of funny I often discuss with PPL how clubs like Derby, Forest, and Wolves and even the Villa these days can't emulate the success that they had at one point of time despite all still having fairly large dedicated supporter bases largely due to my younger brother being a pretty big Derby fan. 

And the main reason given is because the Midlands is not an attractive for place for professional ESP foreign footballers to live in and TBH if you look at the Jets over the past few years alongside the obvious issues the club has I think since the adding of two more sides from Capital Cities has seen them have combat a similar problem.

• Like 1

Its actually kind of funny I often discuss with PPL how clubs like Derby, Forest, and Wolves and even the Villa these days can't emulate the success that they had at one point of time despite all still having fairly large dedicated supporter bases largely due to my younger brother being a pretty big Derby fan. 

And the main reason given is because the Midlands is not an attractive for place for professional ESP foreign footballers to live in and TBH if you look at the Jets over the past few years alongside the obvious issues the club has I think since the adding of two more sides from Capital Cities has seen them have combat a similar problem.

I think in Australia it's an even more significant factor, because even Melbourne and Sydney are too low density for many foreigners especially from Asia and South America.

Anything outside of Melbourne and Sydney would be almost a deal breaker for a significant number of foreigners.

Edited by Tesla

Newcastle has nice beaches though so they would at least have some kind of incentive to move there (as long as you tell them not to look at anything west of Hunter st mall). Would be much harder selling Perth or Adelaide IMO

Been to Perth?

beautiful city, beautiful beaches. Not as many hipsters either.

Spent a night in Wolverhampton last year to go to the races. Biggest shithole ive ever seen. I have no doubt Newcastle would be much more attractive to anyone.

• Like 1