Melbourne Football

Welcome Markel Susaeta

kingofhearts

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Looked unfit to me, not only as a footballer but as a person generally. "Pale and wan" is the expression I would use.

Probably still jet lagged and aclimatising. Reality is, Eric did not need to play him anyway. It was probably a cameo to excite the fans - and it did. That run and cross to Jmac had the whole of the wing on their feet. I think that goes to show the generally excitement with what seems to be an excellent acquisition.

Edited by JMSTEP123

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Looked unfit to me, not only as a footballer but as a person generally. "Pale and wan" is the expression I would use.

I did say he was pasty but let's face it he comes from Northern Spain and he has just spent several months in a Japanese winter. Even I became white whilst living there.

He also clearly had no chemistry with his team mates. The classic example was when he propped for the ball at his feet and Jammo played it behind for him to run on to. He’ll be better for the run but I think all fans should be patient, fitness and understanding of his teammates (especially their limitations) will take a while.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

He also clearly had no chemistry with his team mates. The classic example was when he propped for the ball at his feet and Jammo played it behind for him to run on to. He’ll be better for the run but I think all fans should be patient, fitness and understanding of his teammates (especially their limitations) will take a while.

Chemistry with Jamo, doubt that will ever come sorry - It doesn't seem to matter who we play there in front of him. I know I'm being harsh but don't seem to be as fluid going forward on the left as on the right side. It will interesting to see if Noone will move back to the left.

Edited by Mr MO

8 hours ago, Shahanga said:

He actually went to make tge run saw jamo doin nothing with it and with his head down so stopped to come back to get it to his feet, then jamo just knocked it forward without taking a split second to see what markel was actually doing.

Fwiw I am pretty fed up with Jamo.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, malloy said:

Fwiw I am pretty fed up with Jamo.

Jamo had a pretty ordinary game in my book.
Made a number of mistakes (which is very bad for defenders of course) including passing it to one of their forwards on the edge of the box, which fortunately Delbridge managed to cleaned up. 

With only 4 available defenders he’ll be a definite starter though.

21 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Jamo had a pretty ordinary game in my book.
Made a number of mistakes (which is very bad for defenders of course) including passing it to one of their forwards on the edge of the box, which fortunately Delbridge managed to cleaned up. 

With only 4 available defenders he’ll be a definite starter though.

Unfortunately yes, but even if Galloway weren't injured I couldn't see him being dropped.

9 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Yes he needs to dumb down his chemistry to accommodate Jamo being the average player he is. Jamo was too slow on the uptake, missed Markels run, then tries to give him the ball 5 seconds after. 

• Like 1

In all likeness i could be very wrong. But my take to describe Markel after seeing tonight's game is underwhelming. Could be a number of likely factors why but seemed content to give the ball to someone else to create an opportunity. 

Edited by n i k o

Luna looked like a waste of a Visa after the first 5-6 weeks having done pre season with the squad. Susaeta is gonna need at least another month before we start seeing what he can really produce. So far he's had some nice touches and his movement is good,  Just needs to get more involved.  

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

Luna looked like a waste of a Visa after the first 5-6 weeks having done pre season with the squad. Susaeta is gonna need at least another month before we start seeing what he can really produce. So far he's had some nice touches and his movement is good,  Just needs to get more involved.  

Did you notice Susaeta was trying to get involved in many things always trying to setup one twos. His runs get missed a lot too. But still looks a little rusty.

At one stage in second half he was all over the pitch trying to setup play with teammates. We looked confused as in why aren’t you in your static left wing position.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 3

Susaeta still looked good considering how the team was playing overall. Lots of little clever link-up play which wasn't rewarded and as mentioned, I liked that he was able to float through the middle and collect the ball when the play demanded it despite being a winger - something we haven't really seen in our squad since Mooy. Obviously Mooy was a central midfielder but he'd often request the ball out wide if that was where the play was, and Susaeta seemed to show glimpses of that playmaker's license and ability. 

Still needs time to be effective but the early signs are nice. Good engine too.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Hope he proves his worth before giving him a full contact

He hasn’t offered much so far. Not surprising to be honest, given how out of shape he appeared and he’s effectively had no pre-season.

Right now we are giving him games on the basis that when he does come good it’ll be worth it. Which makes a lot of sense, given his pedigree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

He hasn’t offered much so far. Not surprising to be honest, given how out of shape he appeared and he’s effectively had no pre-season.

Right now we are giving him games on the basis that when he does come good it’ll be worth it. Which makes a lot of sense, given his pedigree.

Seems pretty spot on what you've said. That's what I'm hoping for as well. That he will become more influential during games. Watching him play makes me wonder if he's ever been in a position like this before. Not sure if he was supposed to be the stand out player at Bilbao but here there is certainly that expectation with his pedigree. 

8 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Perhaps the wrong opinion to have but if you cant make a player of his ilk have a huge impact to your club, there are probably issues with the club not the player. Extremely happy he seems to enjoy it here and wants to stay.

They way I see it there are two type of players; a player who thrives and lifts with better players around him. Then there’s the player who makes others play better.

It can very well be that that he’s in the first bracket; struggling with our level.

10 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

They way I see it there are two type of players; a player who thrives and lifts with better players around him. Then there’s the player who makes others play better.

It can very well be that that he’s in the first bracket; struggling with our level.

You say struggling, id call it adapting

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr MO said:

It can very well be that that he’s in the first bracket; struggling with our level.Please

quote your research @HeartFc

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

Is this guy even worth trying to keep next season?

no idea how he made 500+ apps in la liga. Can see why he was warming the bench in Japan. Slows every attack down

He reminds me of Colazo (the dude with the nice wife). He's got the technique Etc but jesus he doesn't do much else.