Melbourne Football

The Sydney FC Thread

Jimmy

This can't be great for WSW. I reckon all the fickle supporters who jumped over to the Wanderers will now be jumping straight back.

Also new fans who aren't sure which side to support are likely to go to the team with Emerton and Del Piero over the team of ex-Jets and other A-league rejects whose supporters are all ethnic gang members who pelt children with rocks.

We stand proud to say we would rather build a team and club that are locally bred and not waste all that money on a superstar.

It would be good to get a marquee of his status.. Maybe one day in the future,

Im happy with the team wsw have.. Expect for a couple flops..

We dont need a Superstar to give our membership a kick in the ass, at the end of the day.. They are ambitious for signing adp..

But also weak due to the fact that its the only way to get fans..

They see wsw as a massive threat.

Adp signing is great for the league.. Would rather see him go to any other club but scumfc.

But hey it is what it is..

Petty much agree with what has already been said. Absolutely massive and great for the profile of our game. Hopefully it will entice more stars to come down under ("hey, if its good enough for del piero, its good enough for me") I cant wait to see him play.

*edit- Just realised his contract ($2mil a year for two years) would pay our debt and leave some change to play with!

Edited by KSK_47

This can't be great for WSW. I reckon all the fickle supporters who jumped over to the Wanderers will now be jumping straight back.

Also new fans who aren't sure which side to support are likely to go to the team with Emerton and Del Piero over the team of ex-Jets and other A-league rejects whose supporters are all ethnic gang members who pelt children with rocks.

Who gives a fuck, what Soccer Club wants “Fickle Supporters” anyway?

It’s hardly like they will offer much to club in any form of commitment or even proper financial assistance.

PPL are not going to jump of their newly started Local Team either because a ageing star is going to be at a club from the other part of town for two years.

Also if u think that all WSW supporters are ethnic gang members who throw rocks at PPL u prob may as well think that all Heart Fans are kidnappers as well FFS.

Edited by cadete

Apparently Sydney FC have been selling memberships galore since the news became official... and surprise surprise, the internet is ablaze with people fucking moaning about it! Its no wonder football never gets anywhere in this country. They want the game to grow but as soon as people start showing an interest for reason they dont see as acceptable they start paying out on them.

All I can say is- welcome to all new dawners/band-wagoners/born agains. Hopefully our self righteous whinging fans dont put you off our beautiful game and you stick around.

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 5

Lucky this league drags any good player that comes here down to its level, otherwise del piero would probably score a hatrick every game, instead he will be nothing special eg Kewell, Emerton, Culina.

At least I hope thats the case.

TBH I hope Del Piero DOES score a hatrick every game...

but they also cop four in their own net.

Edited by Braveheart
  • Like 2

Can u imagine all those adp fan that purchased scumfc membership to wTch him play.. Only for him to get cleaned up and out for the season...

(dont get me wrong.. I want nothing more than to see adp succeed and play a full 2 seasons)

But things like that happen.. It would be a shock to the system for those "bandwagoners"

Ps people have to stop with the ws rock throwing

Scandal.. We all know the nrl/afl media wAs leeching for a anti-football story.. They found it..

I just hope all this adp hype shits all over them..

Dont we all want a high calibre marquee like this..

Just hope plasticfc use his global fame for the right reasons..

Can u imagine all those adp fan that purchased scumfc membership to wTch him play.. Only for him to get cleaned up and out for the season...

(dont get me wrong.. I want nothing more than to see adp succeed and play a full 2 seasons)

But things like that happen.. It would be a shock to the system for those "bandwagoners"

This is true and a very real possibility. Would be unfortunate if it did happen and if it did, I would imagine a lot of people wouldnt bother showing up and we would just be back to where we started in terms of crowds- however it will still mean Del Piero will be involved in the A-Leauge for two seasons at some level which will always be a good thing

The Roos bounding carefree around Bundoora are a long way away from the elegant Ladies riding their ponies around Centennial Park in Paddington...

Had an orienteering competition in that bundoora park with the roos once, running next to them scared the shit out of 14 year old me.

And in all honesty, I would much prefer money that would potenitally go towards a marquee go to establishing a pernament and respectable Heart HQ - which is where I would hope most of the money is going.

Better for the club / development etc etc young players etc.

Isn't the Grosso news old?

Thought it was floating around months ago that he could join Victory or the Wanderers?

Its new again apparentley

It is reported that the left-back turned down proposals from Australia a few weeks ago, but has changed his mind after no offers came in from European clubs.

http://www.football-italia.net/24803/grosso-joins-del-piero-oz

I think the league only has space for one true marquee in any given season, any signing from now on will look like shite copared to ADP (unless it is a Drogba or a Timmy Cahill type)

We saw Emo did nothing to bring the putters through the gates, after Kewell had signed on. And there are other examples like Culina, Fowler, Aloisi, York, Juninho, Romario, etc.

Maybe next season, MH...

Edited by LR9

I think the league only has space for one true marquee in any given season, any signing from now on will look like shite copared to ADP (unless it is a Drogba or a Timmy Cahill type)

We saw Emo did nothing to bring the putters through the gates, after Kewell had signed on. And there are other examples like Culina, Fowler, Aloisi, York, Juninho, Romario, etc.

Maybe next season, MH...

Errr, kewell didnt do anything to bring people through the gates neither.

Actually none of those guys did except maybe Fowler for a bit.

SM & JD were right at the fan forum TBH, marquees dont really bring people through the gates.

Though if there ever was going to be an exception, ADP could be it.

• Like 1

Errr, kewell didnt do anything to bring people through the gates neither.

Actually none of those guys did except maybe Fowler for a bit.

SM & JD were right at the fan forum TBH, marquees dont really bring people through the gates.

Though if there ever was going to be an exception, ADP could be it.

Yes, that's why memberships completely sold out, (both, full season, and Etihad only ones), MVs first 3 home games drew 35k avg and a season avg of almost 25k, and his debut was the highest drawing telecast in HAL history.

And York had a huge impact you gronk, to this day he is still credited for his impact on the league by many football pundits (even though he has publicly stated that it hasn't quite 'taken off' since he left).

Edit: not to mention the corporate side of things.

Edited by LR9

Yes, that's why memberships completely sold out, (both, full season, and Etihad only ones), MVs first 3 home games drew 35k avg and a season avg of almost 25k, and his debut was the highest drawing telecast in HAL history.

And York had a huge impact you gronk, to this day he is still credited for his impact on the league by many football pundits (even though he has publicly stated that it hasn't quite 'taken off' since he left).

Edit: not to mention the corporate side of things.

Victory's average crowd increased 33% while the league's average crowd increased 25% last season, its not really much more above baseline and not significant enough to say it was due to Kewell given other teams averages increased more, including Sydney FC whose average increased 54%, so looks like Emerton may have had a greater impact actually.

Victory's average crowd increased 33% while the league's average crowd increased 25% last season, its not really much more above baseline and not significant enough to say it was due to Kewell given other teams averages increased more, including Sydney FC whose average increased 54%, so looks like Emerton may have had a greater impact actually.

Perhaps the league average rose because of the buzz that Emo and kewell brought, the away crowds for victory were really good all season.

Meanwhile, Sydney are close to adding to their roster former Adelaide midfielder Paul Reid, who has apparently impressed sufficiently in an extended trial to earn a deal.

"We're not too far away now from getting something finalised," coach Ian Crook said yesterday. "In the short term, Terry Antonis and Hagi Gligor could be away with the (Australian) under-20s side.

"And Nicky (Carle) having gone, who I was thinking of playing there, it leaves us very bare. It's certainly something we're looking at."

Crook said should Jason Culina prove his fitness after nearly two years out with knee and leg injuries, Reid's signing would not preclude the former Socceroo from also adding to his midfield stocks.

"Jason's got that determination to come back," he said.

"If someone had said three months ago he'd be out there doing what he's doing, I'd have laughed at them. I don't know (how long his rehab will take). It's day by day. It could be two weeks, 10 weeks, 10 months."

Edited by LR9