Melbourne Football

The Sydney FC Thread

Jimmy

On 18/08/2017 at 9:47 PM, HeartFc said:

Mierzejewski was very handy for the NT a few years back and could've done a lot better than Turkey when he left Poland. Clearly went for the cash coz he went on to collect plenty arab cash. Very handy signing and I'll go as far as saying he'll be top 3 in the JW medal this upcoming season.

I never got a green line in my life. Can I please get a green line. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Ninkovic staying at Sydney for a further two seasons.

Which means Adrian either has to accept what he was on, or he leaves as there is no marquee position open for him now. IMO he's gone.

EDIT : Tbf im assuming Ninkovic has resigned at around or above his previous contract and as such is occupying the marquee slot. To come back into cap contention would mean a pay cut of at least 300k depending on what you believe his previous deal was worth.

Edited by bt50

6 hours ago, bt50 said:

Which means Adrian either has to accept what he was on, or he leaves as there is no marquee position open for him now. IMO he's gone.

EDIT : Tbf im assuming Ninkovic has resigned at around or above his previous contract and as such is occupying the marquee slot. To come back into cap contention would mean a pay cut of at least 300k depending on what you believe his previous deal was worth.

Don't even need to discuss this. We all know Sydney will have all 3 next season

• 1 year later...
8 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

I think a midfield of Retre + Brats doesn't strike fear into a team like Brillante and O"Neill would have - however to his credit Corica has got a lot more out of both players than I think we saw here.

Imo I'm not sure he's got more, but he's got enough out of them that will work within the squad and system he has. Under Joyce we tried to get too much out of Brattan. With Ninkovic there Brattan can stay within his capabilities and the team can function well. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, n i k o said:

Imo I'm not sure he's got more, but he's got enough out of them that will work within the squad and system he has. Under Joyce we tried to get too much out of Brattan. With Ninkovic there Brattan can stay within his capabilities and the team can function well. 

I think this is pretty spot on. Bratts was always required to have a bit more attacking focus with us due to our lack of a potent 10 over the journey. At Sydney he can focus on his own role while Ninko does his thing, which means theres also far less pressure on him from an offensive standpoint.

8 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

So Scum have sold O’Neill for “an undisclosed fee” to Pohang.

For those who may have forgotten O’Neill was the young guy Arnold picked up on a free after Perth released him, unwanted. An outstanding bit of scouting and coaching.

$300K apparently. Seems a bit low to me. 

• 3 weeks later...

I believe he offered to step aside as he thought the travel might be too much for him.

“The truth is that it will be hard for me – I’m not 25 anymore and the travel in the ACL is difficult, it takes a toll,” he said. “I probably need a bit more time for recovery than I used to.

“I’ve spoken to Bimbi (Corica) about it already. We have an unbelievable relationship, and I know we’ll make the right decision for me and for the club.

“We have a few more days to think about it (before the squad is chosen) and we’ll make the right decision.”

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...
19 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Now that their season is over and Steve Corica is coming off contract, I wonder which way they will go. Their list is too old and lacked pace, their younger players were not much chop.

I know their fans largely want Corica out as they feel as though his success at the club only came about because of Arnold's impact before him (whose club does that remind you of).

If they can keep Narsingh, they can build a team around him honestly. They've still got really good players (Brattan was a huge out for them this season) and despite his below-average season, Grant is still one of, if not the best RB in the league. 

If they recruit well, I have no doubt given the nature of the league that they will be right back in contention next season. Too strong a club not to.

2 hours ago, Nate said:

I know their fans largely want Corica out as they feel as though his success at the club only came about because of Arnold's impact before him (whose club does that remind you of).

If they can keep Narsingh, they can build a team around him honestly. They've still got really good players (Brattan was a huge out for them this season) and despite his below-average season, Grant is still one of, if not the best RB in the league. 

If they recruit well, I have no doubt given the nature of the league that they will be right back in contention next season. Too strong a club not to.

I wasn't saying that they didn't have a quality team and that Brattan being out was a major loss. But will they go for a large overhaul or a minor one? Will their strategy of paying big $ to a handful of players that start week in week out continue or will they decide to have better quality on the bench? Ultimately, as has been noted in this forum, their success also depended on having their core players on the pitch and in form. With the loss of Brattan, the strategy wobbled, with the loss of speed and form (Bobo and Barberousses) it was definitely on the wane.

As to Corica's success being dependent on Arnold's recruitment, I would need to consider the two team lists. However their fans may have a point as in part I feel the same way about Eric and PK.

4 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I wasn't saying that they didn't have a quality team and that Brattan being out was a major loss. But will they go for a large overhaul or a minor one? Will their strategy of paying big $ to a handful of players that start week in week out continue or will they decide to have better quality on the bench? Ultimately, as has been noted in this forum, their success also depended on having their core players on the pitch and in form. With the loss of Brattan, the strategy wobbled, with the loss of speed and form (Bobo and Barberousses) it was definitely on the wane.

As to Corica's success being dependent on Arnold's recruitment, I would need to consider the two team lists. However their fans may have a point as in part I feel the same way about Eric and PK.

It's a situation that may face us next season because we have a number of higher-paid senior players on longer-term contracts, meaning that we're restricted on who we might bring into the squad.

• 1 year later...
11 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Does that 3rd straight loss spell the end of the road for Corica? Or does he have a lifeline with the Aus Cup win¿?

Sure the Sydney fans are calling for his head like we were this time last week...

I feel like the club took a big punt backing him recently with a new contract, would be surprised if they jumped ship so early - especially with the cup win. But fwiw, if I was a Sydney supporter, I'd want him gone. Think the team has been on a steady decline since he took over.

11 hours ago, IssySG said:

I feel like the club took a big punt backing him recently with a new contract, would be surprised if they jumped ship so early - especially with the cup win. But fwiw, if I was a Sydney supporter, I'd want him gone. Think the team has been on a steady decline since he took over.

Yeah I reckon you have nailed it...although they won the cup I don't think the board will accept too many more losses this season!

1 hour ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Yeah I reckon you have nailed it...although they won the cup I don't think the board will accept too many more losses this season!

His 5 year record is good: premiers, champions and Australia Cup winners. I think the problem came down to list management. As I mentioned elsewhere, they have two or three youth with great potential. Their problem is Lolley and Mack. Good enough to get a game but not good enough to win matches consistently. Upgrade those two and Sydney will be in a better position.

1 hour ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Depends what value they put on the Australian Cup and therefore AFC Champions League-2 for next season. IMO Australian clubs overall don't put enough value on participation in Asia (or is it the fans who don't?). I value participation highly because it's an opportunity to see something other than the same clubs season after season.

On 04/11/2023 at 11:13 AM, MHFC-FAN said:

Does that 3rd straight loss spell the end of the road for Corica? Or does he have a lifeline with the Aus Cup win¿?

Sure the Sydney fans are calling for his head like we were this time last week...

Yeah looks like the Aus Cup was no saviour there...3 straight losses on the trot simply not acceptable.