Melbourne Football

Welcome Marcos rajos

kingofhearts

17 minutes ago, Bob Latchford said:

Cabrera is definitely gone, and Rojas is indeed the number one choice to replace him.

That would be good business if we can make it happen. 

8 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Number one choice, as in 'the deal isn't done yet'?

That would be my interpretation too Bela. Fingers crossed on this one. Le Patron said he wanted to upgrade out attacking options and they are clearly trying to make something happen. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bob Latchford said:

Correct. Nothing signed and Cabrera is still training with the team until everything with Rojas is sorted. Club don't want to be caught out by selling one and missing out on the number 1 target.

..and this is exactly why the club doesn't release info early now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bob Latchford said:

Correct. Nothing signed and Cabrera is still training with the team until everything with Rojas is sorted. Club don't want to be caught out by selling one and missing out on the number 1 target.

Probably feel a little uneasy  after the whole Troisi thing too

from A league tweet

Unión coach Leo Madelón on the impending arrival of Melbourne City winger Javier Cabrera: “I spoke with him yesterday, he is in Australia. He will be good for us. Cabrera will be arriving Sunday or Monday maybe, but you must resolve some issues in Australia."

Well that would be interesting. CFG oil money gets trumped by WU pesos.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/danish-twist-to-o-neill-s-looming-switch-to-k-league-20191231-p53nwa.html

Rojas return

Former Johnny Warren Medallist Marco Rojas could be back in the A-League next week.

The New Zealand international left Danish club Sonderjyske last week and is understood to have received a flurry of offers from A-League clubs.

The Hairdryer understands Western United are the front-runners to land his signature.

Given our cap/marquee situation, whatever offer we put in front of him is probably going to be substantially back ended, which may not suit him as I'm sure he'd love to fuck off back to Europe at the first opportunity.

WU could potentially offer him a juicier deal, and maybe even a short term contract.

Personally, if he's looking for flexibility, I'd happily offer him whatever we can afford on a 6 month deal if it gets him across the line, could make all the difference for us this season.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1

Western United do also have a bigger cap than us this season think extra 500k. Just offer back ended marquee deals and the prospect of returning to Europe with our pathways. Should be a more enticing club / destination club  than Western United. Also to be added they don’t play wingers so don’t see how he could fit in their system. Thought they would be targeting a Striker not winger 

It would be concerning if we can’t even sign a player like Rojas, provided his demands are market value. Perhaps we are turning to be less attractive to players than we think. If we are stuck in the salary cap and marquee packages with having the wrong players allocated than we can only blame ourselves.

13 hours ago, Embee said:

Given our cap/marquee situation, whatever offer we put in front of him is probably going to be substantially back ended, which may not suit him as I'm sure he'd love to fuck off back to Europe at the first opportunity.

WU could potentially offer him a juicier deal, and maybe even a short term contract.

Personally, if he's looking for flexibility, I'd happily offer him whatever we can afford on a 6 month deal if it gets him across the line, could make all the difference for us this season.

Yeah I agree that he would make a huge difference and possibly take pressure off the defence. Although, now that I know that WU are after him I dont think its going to get done. I also wouldnt be surprised if there is a bit of 'loyalty' toward victory going on in his head, which further tilts it into WU favor.

Although given the payments rumors, youd probably feel a bit sus to sign for them IMO, I also dont think he fits into their system and Rudan will probably fall out with him given Rudan seems to be a nightmare to play for if you arnt one of those old school work hard blah blah blah players. ie: Seems like Rudan is a bit of a Warren Joyce

Edited by Dylan

• jw1739 locked this topic