Melbourne Football

Us & The League Table

Shahanga

I've been waiting for a collapse, and last night at 2:1 I started to have a sense it all could go to shit.

PK made a triple change, for a rookie that's ballsy. Best thing it actually worked but for me the actual change as opposed the result was the most significant outcome. 

He solidified belief i think in the squad and as someone that needs alot of convincing I'm now 100% convinced we got this. 

We are actually going to win the fucking League, let that sink in.

All those seasons looking up the table thinking how the fuck are we ever going to be the best, then to have a run but only to realize for whatever reason were just not good enough, i know unequivocally know we are the  best and going to win it. 

Well done to all and its absolutely deserved. 

Anyone who wants to put the permutations argument out there, we won't lose 5 or 4 or even 3 more games.

We are finally the best in this land!

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Well done to all and its absolutely deserved. 

Anyone who wants to put the permutations argument out there, we won't lose 5 or 4 or even 3 more games.

We are finally the best in this land!

Agree, we are going to win the Premiership because, this season,  we don't ever look like we are going to lose it.

That's different from every other season where that mental fragility has always been there.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

Agree, we are going to win the Premiership because, this season,  we don't ever look like we are going to lose it.

That's different from every other season where that mental fragility has always been there.

This is the difference. If and I mean if we do loose a game which can happen and probably will, we absolutely wont loose another 4 and no way any other team this year will win 5 in a row. 

29 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

And looked pretty mediocre doing it. 

Yeah they looked very average, just not sure what players they would lose to Socceroos.

Genreau, Milligan or Meredith at most? Can’t see all three going as none have been stellar.

Doubt Federici would go just to be 4th fiddle over starting in a finals series.

9 minutes ago, Deluka said:

Yeah they looked very average, just not sure what players they would lose to Socceroos.

Genreau, Milligan or Meredith at most? Can’t see all three going as none have been stellar.

Connor goes before Deni and Good before Milligan imo

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Deluka said:

https://www.socceroos.com.au/news/socceroos-great-mark-milligan-announces-international-retirement

milligan is retired from international football 

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

Adelaide lost last night.

my instinct tells me we have enough points already - none of the trailing group will actually pass 45 (their form has all been so poor).

We will win the league by a considerable margin.

Sydney will be second. All the others are falling away at the pointy end of the season.

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

my instinct tells me we have enough points already - none of the trailing group will actually pass 45 (their form has all been so poor).

I'm of this view too. Sydney are really the only side i can conceivably see winning their last three but even then i certainly wouldn't back it.
In saying that, i REALLY want us to do it Saturday, it will be more special to win to get it rather than results falling for us.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Unless my arithmetic fails me again @bt50...

Adelaide can't win it now.

Of the rest, Sydney can get to 47, Central Coast to 48, Macarthur 47, Brisbane 46, assuming in each case they win all their remaining matches. Of these I fear Sydney the most, a good side, dogged and determined.

It's in our best interests to settle it on Saturday. Certainly mine - I don't think my nerves can stand it if we don't.

• Like 1

We have been blessed in recent weeks, everyone has been dropping points, and really Sydney beat a decent NPL level side last night.

Saturday night will see us lift the plate, and if for whatever reason we don't it will happen the following game vs Jets, currently worst team by some margin.

We have earnt the right to be confident and I am convinced the playing group have zero nerves come Saturday. 

57 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Unless my arithmetic fails me again @bt50...

Adelaide can't win it now.

Of the rest, Sydney can get to 47, Central Coast to 48, Macarthur 47, Brisbane 46, assuming in each case they win all their remaining matches. Of these I fear Sydney the most, a good side, dogged and determined.

It's in our best interests to settle it on Saturday. Certainly mine - I don't think my nerves can stand it if we don't.

Correct. Likewise even a draw on Saturday takes CCM out of the equation as there isnt a snowflakes chance they are winning their last three, we are losing our last three AND overturning a GD of 24.
Our GD isnt catchable really, so two points out of 12 will suffice, but winning it Saturday will be far more enjoyable, and will enable us to position the chess pieces to give ourselves the best chance at winning the toilet seat too despite the players unavailable.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting to look back on recent years.

2016/17: City finished 4th with a 11-6-10 record, 49-44 goals for and against, 39 points. Sydney won it on 66 points.

2017/18: City finished 3rd with a 13-4-10 record, 41-33 goals for and against, 43 points. Sydney won it on 64 points.

2018/19: City finished 5th with a 11-7-9 record, 39-32 goals for and against, 40 points. Perth won it on 60 points (their first Premiership).

2019-20: City finished 2nd with a 14-5-7 record, 49-37 goals for and against, 47 points. Sydney won it on 53 points.

2020-21: City have won it with two matches to play. So far a 15-3-6 record, 55-29 goals for and against, 48 points.

2 hours ago, Imtellingyou said:

Nicely summarised. It could be the weakest A-league season or the most even. It depends on the pair of glasses. The more teams, less games. 

What I take out of it is that we're a regular top-6 club, but as yet we still lose too many matches to be considered an A-League powerhouse club.

FWIW Sydney were second to Perth in 2018/19 and likely to be this season as well.

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

What I take out of it is that we're a regular top-6 club, but as yet we still lose too many matches to be considered an A-League powerhouse club.

FWIW Sydney were second to Perth in 2018/19 and likely to be this season as well.

Keeping the bulk of the squad together makes a huge difference in my book. Especially with the salary cap benefits.

Random idiot pundit “I can’t believe Sydney are under the cap”. When nearly every key player in their squad is long term, I certainly can.

We, with key youth players and at last some retention, are starting to head to a similar place.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, malloy said:

With Newy looking likely to get up over CCM, they will only need a point to overtake Victory provided that we beat Victory (which imo is anything, but a forgone conclusion, but its added incentive for us to get up).

Win this week then throw the newy game perfect situation lol

• Like 4

On 01/06/2021 at 3:44 PM, jw1739 said:

Indeed, Sydney must finish second - no-one can catch them. A remarkable run. Also worth noting that the unmentionables have not been Premiers since 2014-15.