Melbourne Football

Us & The League Table

Shahanga

14 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Is no one going to rate Adelaide? Same games played and down 5 points. Sydney has played one extra game and are 4 points behind. 

Think it’ll be Sydney who end up closer to us. They’re starting to find form.

I was concerned about Adelaide, but recently they’ve been ordinary. Beaten by Mariners, couldn’t get past WSW, beat Macarthur yes but drew with Sydney and most recently lost to Wellington. 

7 hours ago, Harrison said:

Think it’ll be Sydney who end up closer to us. They’re starting to find form.

I was concerned about Adelaide, but recently they’ve been ordinary. Beaten by Mariners, couldn’t get past WSW, beat Macarthur yes but drew with Sydney and most recently lost to Wellington. 

And now they've drawn at home to WU, and honestly deserved to lose but for some very dodgy decisions. 

• Like 1

thinking back to the Heart days, I can't say I'm completely confident despite our current "one hand on the trophy".  Too many times I have seen us drop / lose games at the end of the season.

That said  I think our current form means we can be confident (barring an injury run similar to that patch at the start of the season where we lost 4 of 5 - including to Newcastle and at home to Perth). we have just been sooo good that we are rightfully top at the business end of the season.

I honestly believe our two games this week (Perth away and Brisbane at home) are massive in terms of the consequences.

Win both, we jump to 41 points. we have 6 games left including against Newcastle and the mongs - as far as I'm concerned we would have the title in the bag.

Fail to win (even if it's 2 points from two draws), and we are well and truly back in the striking range of the chasing hoard.

Smoking the tea leaves, I think the team who wins the league will only need to amass 46-47 points. For Us, that equates to winning 4 of our remaining 8 (the max points we can get are 59 FWIW) - hence we do have reason to be confident.

While three teams (Adelaide, Central Coast and Western United) can reach a max 52 points and Brisbane (who are currently 8th by the way) can reach 54, there are so many "6 pointers" between the chasing pack they will be stealing points away from each other.

And before I get all of the "what ifs" where another team this year could go on a massive heater and wins 5 or 6 straight (I do realise there is a chance) - the fact we have a 4 point buffer, a game in hand and that the form of all other teams has been so inconsistent tells me we are in a great spot with our remaining games.  

4 hours ago, Deluka said:

Been a near perfect round for us this week

3 Points Dropped

Sydney FC

2 Points Dropped

Adelaide Utd
Western Utd
Brisbane
Wellington
Macarthur

Couldnt agree more.  Then again, the main consistency those teams have had is the fact they are inconsistent.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

thinking back to the Heart days, I can't say I'm completely confident despite our current "one hand on the trophy".  Too many times I have seen us drop / lose games at the end of the season.

That said  I think our current form means we can be confident (barring an injury run similar to that patch at the start of the season where we lost 4 of 5 - including to Newcastle and at home to Perth). we have just been sooo good that we are rightfully top at the business end of the season.

I honestly believe our two games this week (Perth away and Brisbane at home) are massive in terms of the consequences.

Win both, we jump to 41 points. we have 6 games left including against Newcastle and the mongs - as far as I'm concerned we would have the title in the bag.

Fail to win (even if it's 2 points from two draws), and we are well and truly back in the striking range of the chasing hoard.

Smoking the tea leaves, I think the team who wins the league will only need to amass 46-47 points. For Us, that equates to winning 4 of our remaining 8 (the max points we can get are 59 FWIW) - hence we do have reason to be confident.

While three teams (Adelaide, Central Coast and Western United) can reach a max 52 points and Brisbane (who are currently 8th by the way) can reach 54, there are so many "6 pointers" between the chasing pack they will be stealing points away from each other.

And before I get all of the "what ifs" where another team this year could go on a massive heater and wins 5 or 6 straight (I do realise there is a chance) - the fact we have a 4 point buffer, a game in hand and that the form of all other teams has been so inconsistent tells me we are in a great spot with our remaining games.  

Couldnt agree more.  Then again, the main consistency those teams have had is the fact they are inconsistent.  

A win against Brisbane will put a halt to any potential surge up the table from them. From a mathematical possibility perspective they are sitting in a better position to catch us than most other teams.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

We will win Premiers" Plate. Most likely we will host GF. Everything else is just filler episode.

IMO too early to predict with eight matches still to play, with two of the last three away from home. Agree with PK here - just focus on the next match.

Edited by jw1739
Correction
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Even after we win the Premiers Plate, I'll still be expecting that we'll find a last minute way to lose it.

This, and even after they present it, and we have it securely stored in bulging trophy cabinet there will be some enquiry and we will have it retracted. 

What was the quote "if we win, we will ultimately end up losing".

Edited by Jovan
Not exactly the quote but I'm going with it anyway
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommykins said:

We'd need 3 goals a game from here on out and we'll break the total number of goals in a season record - sounds a bit unlikely until you realise we've got Victory on the last day of the season.

Pencil in 8 for that one. (It’s not arrogance, it’s simple maths)

6 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Anyone know how many matches we need before it's sealed? Like the magic number they use in American sports.

Obviously other results can change the number but how many is it now?

I’d say 4 wins should do it. 

2 hours ago, Harrison said:

Anyone know how many matches we need before it's sealed? Like the magic number they use in American sports.

Obviously other results can change the number but how many is it now?

52 points I reckon, averaging 2 points a game is pretty bloody good! 

30 minutes ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

Fuck me, things just keep falling our way don't they!? Such a strange feeling. Sydney just dropped 2 points to Newcastle. We are now 6 pts ahead of them with 2 games in hand

It's increasingly about the maths now. Sydney have five games, fifteen points at best, to make up six points on us. Just as this unwinds week by week the chances of this slipping from our grasp get smaller. We have two challenging games in the next four days. IF we play to our potential, by the time we get to the game against Wellington, the fat lady may well be warming up her vocal chords. 

1 minute ago, fensaddler said:

It's increasingly about the maths now. Sydney have five games, fifteen points at best, to make up six points on us. Just as this unwinds week by week the chances of this slipping from our grasp get smaller. We have two challenging games in the next four days. IF we play to our potential, by the time we get to the game against Wellington, the fat lady may well be warming up her vocal chords. 

I enjoy seeing the forum optimistic and for good reason. However I personally will not be counting our chickens until they hatch... 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

18 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

I enjoy seeing the forum optimistic and for good reason. However I personally will not be counting our chickens until they hatch... 

Fingers crossed results go our way (and against) so we mathematically win the league against Victory.

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

I think we are home already, but win tomorrow and the door is nailed firmly shut imo.

I agree. Brisbane are looking like the only genuine threat now, with Adelaide and Sydney repeatedly dropping points. A loss tomorrow will give Brisbane the opportunity to move within 2 points (if they then win their game in hand) and keep their chances alive. 

But if we win tomorrow I'll be confident the title is ours