Melbourne Football

Matchday 13: v Western United - Friday 3rd January 7.30 pm at AAMI Park

Harrison

Just now, neio said:

Erick just said that if we can we will look into appealing Delbridge red card (he didn't really know the rules here to be completely definitive) , so he may be available next week

Doubt he starts anyway. 

But should definitely appeal it. Such a bad call.

Edited by Harrison

3 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Seriously to be three nil up, stomping on their throats and to end finishing the game like that is fucking pathetic. This club is so beige 

You could see it coming, we just start stuffing around with the ball and then put ourselves under pressure with stupid mistakes.

We should have been 5 up by the 60th minute, we don't take advantage of easy opportunities and it costs us every week, then we panic and lose our shit and lose games in 5 minutes of play.

Just scratching my head. Don't know what else to add.

3 points yes but geez we have to do better than this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Won’t the yellow still stand then?

But you are right, red can easily be appealed.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36047575

If he was still given the yellow he still would be missing next week with acculturation of 5 YC. So what’s the point in challenging it cause if they downgrade it he will still miss next week 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, CityBoyz said:

If he was still given the yellow he still would be missing next week with acculturation of 5 YC. So what’s the point in challenging it cause if they downgrade it he will still miss next week 🤷‍♂️

I don't think they can downgrade it to a yellow now, its either red stands and he gets suspended or he gets off and there is nothing 

This could be completly wrong though

3 minutes ago, neio said:

I don't think they can downgrade it to a yellow now, its either red stands and he gets suspended or he gets off and there is nothing 

This could be completly wrong though

But we are appealing the wrongly given red card, not the handball. A triple whammy (red, penalty and suspension) is not allowed anymore unless it’s serious misconduct. If the appeal gets granted for the wrong red card then the yellow still stands.

Interesting, let’s wait and see.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

We're the most perplexing 2nd place team in a-league history. When we're at our best we're as good as any other team in the league but our worst is as bad as any team.

Nfi where we stand in the league. We're officially ok

We can beat anyone; we can lose to anyone. On that score very little has changed since day 1 of Melbourne City.

It's not a recipe to end the season in the top two, though that's where we currently reside. It's a blueprint to finish between third and fifth and get bundled out in the first or second week of finals. Like we always do.

• Like 1

Just got home.

Bizarre game, I guess we saw why Dean is the back up now. No way was that Geelong guy going to score from that position, just terrible keeping.

The Delly red just seemed weird I mean the guy slides in for the ball and I presume it brushes his arm, so it’s a red? Fuck me.

After that I thought the guys were professional at running the clock down, especially Noone who is the master of the rebound corner or throw.

PS: Shout out to @belaguttman. You’ve had a tough run mate. Glad the boys could at least give you a win.

28 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

This is what I’m afraid for as well in where we stand. We are fortunate that the other teams besides Sydney aren’t running away, hence a little lucky. I do expect that Perth will push through now.

Just seen this on social media, thought it was funny.

8FAA6099-8F02-43CB-A8E5-6634E9D6FF04.jpeg

Atkinson probably deserves to be included. That turnover to start the play that led to the Delbridge's penalty was truly horrific.

I think it's a positive that the media is no longer ignoring why these sort of scenarios always seem to happen to us and are now actively taking potshots at the mental strength of the club. It's kind of like the opposite of that sinking feeling you get when we have a slumping Victory coming up or we're in good form and playing a bunch of hacks in Brisbane, Gosford or Newcastle: where you just know that it's going to be a loss and we'll probably find a very creative way to cock it up. I have no idea off the top of my head what our record is over the past five Decembers, but I'm confident it's absolutely abysmal.

It's only when we're copping it from the pundits all week that we can be confident that team will actually turn up and put in a shift. It's a vicious cycle, it's been going on forever and it doesn't matter who's wearing the shirt and whether they've been part of a winning culture, or if they become part of a winning culture as soon as they leave us: while they're with Melbourne City they're infected with this fragility.

Edited by SF33

9 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Just an observation that might not mean anything, but our midfield seemed to fall apart after Florin went off.

Did it unbalanced out team or am I just over analysing?

Be interested to hear people's views

We played 6 minutes with 11 men after Berenguer subbed off, you can't say either way if it did or didn't 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SF33 said:

Atkinson probably deserves to be included. That turnover to start the play that led to the Delbridge's penalty was truly horrific.

Mmmm yes poor pass from Atko - but why slide in like a handball goalkeeper, Pierias was still in front of him and just stepped inside the box.

• Like 1

Just now, Mr MO said:

Mmmm yes poor pass from Atko - but why slide in like a handball goalkeeper, Pierias was still in front of him and just stepped inside the box.

Agree 100%.

I'm no expert but it's so galling to give away 'no doubt about it' penalties in the areas that we did tonight, where there's still plenty of work for the opposition to do before they even get a shot off.

FMD that was typical City. Almost invented another way to lose a match when we could very well have been ahead by six goals or more.

Bouzanis absolute shit IMO, and Noone not much better - such a wasteful player, and so predictable - goes inside the whole time.Thought Atkinson was solid apart from one terrible mistake. Wales may not be able to shoot, but he's fast and direct and causes the defence all sorts of problems.

But the main concern is as always this lack of self-belief that seems to bedevil the club. My jury is still out on Mombaerts.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Three reasons according to Mombaerts. He was on a yellow card, he copped a knock on his hip and it’s his first competitive match in a long time. 

Thanks for the reply the yellow card and the knock I understand but imo subbing a central defender after 45 mins is a waste of a sub 

1 minute ago, citypool said:

Thanks for the reply the yellow card and the knock I understand but imo subbing a central defender after 45 mins is a waste of a sub 

Tend to agree. Central defenders are low km positions so he should be able to run out 90 with extra intervals. Probably more the hip knock and the fact that he looked a bit compromised when attackers ran at him.

He and Good were very solid though. Handled everything quite well. 

3-0 up at half time and we decide to stop playing football instead of going for the kill they were there for the taking at half time for a big humiliating loss instead they get all the accolades for there come back fk me city please get some killer instinct in ya and bury sides good and proper 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fuck Jamieson, Fuck Noone. No but seriously...that second half was the worst I have seen in city colours. Obviously they condensed the middle and forced us out wide as a 3-5-2 should. lucky for them we have the worst crossers and shortest offensive line in the league.  do you ever see sydney smacking high crosses to kosta and le fondre.  we lack any ability to break through in the middle. Luna is not an AM, florin is fine but never receives a ball in a dangerous position.  No one tonight seemed to want to go towards goal, only out wide or backwards which is a real concern.

Noone is really pushing hard to take florins mantle as the most useless visa we have signed, considering the hype he had preseason.  predictable, cant cross, cant shoot, seems scared to go near the goals.

Jamieson doing his usual but to cost us a goal every game and be a pure liability. Delbridge's red was a direct result of jamieson not being able to react to pieras blitzing in behind him. He is to slow and his decision making is poor.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

People are way too harsh on Noone, he was good tonight. Set up Luna's goal with a perfect dink, threatened with crosses and shots from range (yes, some ended in Row Z but a couple weren't too far off).

We played extremely well in the half and were still controlling the game in the second half (maybe lacking a bit of intensity) which obviously led to the calamitous 5 minutes of sleeping at the wheel. However, I liked the way we regathered ourselves after the second goal and the red card and played out the game well. 

Yes it was shit to cop two soft goals after such a strong start but I think more credit is due - it was a good result against a rival in contention for our spot in 2nd with several regular starters unavailable. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Nate said:

People are way too harsh on Noone, he was good tonight. Set up Luna's goal with a perfect dink, threatened with crosses and shots from range (yes, some ended in Row Z but a couple weren't too far off).

We played extremely well in the half and were still controlling the game in the second half (maybe lacking a bit of intensity) which obviously led to the calamitous 5 minutes of sleeping at the wheel. However, I liked the way we regathered ourselves after the second goal and the red card and played out the game well. 

Yes it was shit to cop two soft goals after such a strong start but I think more credit is due - it was a good result against a rival in contention for our spot in 2nd with several regular starters unavailable. 

Taken in isolation I would agree, but this is one of just a long line of similar matches where we are in total control and butcher a bucket-load of opportunities to put the match out of reach only to disintegrate just when it matters. IMO three points does not paper over that very obvious crack.

As for Noone, we're talking about an ex-Premier League player and for me he just doesn't do enough. One perfect little dink - which it was, no doubt about that - isn't enough in 95 minutes.

And as for Bouzanis - last night was the last straw. I never want to see him take the field again. Not only did he start the "calamitous five minutes" but he can't even kick the ball straight any more. He has the wrong mentality for a GK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1