Melbourne Football

Tim Cahill is a dog

marteaux

I dont see a problem here. The A-League is a step down from the MLS.

Its not like any A-League club could have signed him anyway, there was a 1mil pound transfer fee.

its the more i don't want to play in Australia that gets me even though he would become a coach here id still love to see him play.

I dont see a problem here. The A-League is a step down from the MLS.

Its not like any A-League club could have signed him anyway, there was a 1mil pound transfer fee.

agree. it isnt like he dogged any one over. FFS he is just being honest better than him saying some utter BS

Tim Cahill is right in wanting to go to the MLS rather than here. In Australia we cannot compete financially with the likes of Japan, Korea, the Middle East and the US. That is one of the reasons why we are losing our better players from the A-League and why we cannot attract quality Australian players to Australia when they are comming to the end of their playing careers.

Also, if these players do come back they are expected to star in the A-League and often can't play to the best of their ability due to the players around them being of a lesser quality (ie.slower, not reading situations/opportunities etc.), and yes they are past their prime.

The MLS has the likes of Beckham, Frings, Henry, Nesta, Keane etc. Which players do we have to provide similar opposition or to be team-mates for the likes of Cahill?

This is a link to the post I put in the MHFC How to increase membership thread:

http://mhfcsupporter..._200#entry44376

I think it is just as relevant in regards to getting top Aussie players to return home as it is to increasing club membership and A-League attendances. Larger crowds, more money and better competition is needed to enhance our league.

Hopefully our league will prosper and the Likes of Tim Cahill will want to return to Australia to finish their careers.

Edited by Peter

Excuse my Dutch, but FFS we support Heart not the A League so who cares if he choose to play in a stronger league over the one our side is in...

Also anyone thought about how this way he gets to live in New York?

Pretty cool place from what I hear.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Fuck all your logic, he didn't have to say that and he's still a cunt.

Yep, majority of posters missing the point here.

For that to come out of the mouth of arguably the most identifiable player Australia has at the moment, at a time when the HAL has been floundering for support, is deeply dissapointing and does a great disservice to the code and it's perception in this country. Many of our overseas players forget the realities of the situation football finds itself in Australia, with the constant struggle fior exposure and Vulture like media circiling the game waiting for it to fail. Comments like this only serve to give fuel to their arguments and damage all the goodwork that is being done by the football community in trying to grow the game here.

Pim Verbeek shamelessly said the same thing about the A-League in his time as national coach and was rightfully lambasted by the football community and media for it. Cahill should not be excused for it either. He may very well be right, but that is besides the point. Some things are better left unsaid and Cahill could have quite easily used other 'less damagaing' wording to explain his move to the MLS.

Secondly, the argument that we as supporters of Melbourne Heart should not have any interest in the A-League, is a misguided notion. Unfortunatley, wether we like it or not, the HAL and Melbourne Heart are inextricably linked with one another. And having a sucessful A-league is crictical to ensuring the success of Melbourne Heart, because without a sucessful A-League, Melbourne Heart will be nothing.

Edited by FB.
  • Like 3

Yep, majority of posters missing the point here.

For that to come out of the mouth of arguably the most identifiable player Australia has at the moment, at a time when the HAL has been floundering for support, is deeply dissapointing and does a great disservice to the code and it's perception in this country. Many of our overseas players forget the realities of the situation football finds itself in Australia, with the constant struggle fior exposure and Vulture like media circiling the game waiting for it to fail. Comments like this only serve to give fuel to their arguments and damage all the goodwork that is being done by the football community in trying to grow the game here.

Pim Verbeek shamelessly said the same thing about the A-League in his time as national coach and was rightfully lambasted by the football community and media for it. Cahill should not be excused for it either. He may very well be right, but that is besides the point. Some things are better left unsaid and Cahill could have quite easily used other 'less damagaing' wording to explain his move to the MLS.

Secondly, the argument that we as supporters of Melbourne Heart should not have any interest in the A-League, is a misguided notion. Unfortunatley, wether we like it or not, the HAL and Melbourne Heart are inextricably linked with one another. And having a sucessful A-league is crictical to ensuring the success of Melbourne Heart, because without a sucessful A-League, Melbourne Heart will be nothing.

As I said before I support Heart and not the league, I never said it was logical thinking but its the way I have always approached my football - Showing barely little interest in anything other than the club I support.

• Like 1

No, Cahill is right to state the truth.

This is better than some dribble which would cost him credibility.

The A-League needs to become more competitive.

I agree. Australian football fans have always had issues looking at their football for what it is, particularly when it comes to the A-League. Its just not that good- on and off the pitch. He made the right choice, for the right reasons and should be able to say so without thinking twice.

• Like 1

He speaks his mind, why bullshit and say what people want to hear? The man has given everything he possibly could for the national team, has always fought for the Australian cause!

Anyone who legitmately thinks he is a dog is a dog themselves! Go hump someones legs ya twats!

No, Cahill is right to state the truth.

This is better than some dribble which would cost him credibility.

The A-League needs to become more competitive.

Thanks for stating the bleeding obvious.

Everyone who follows the A-League is accutely aware that it needs to improve. And the only way it will improve is through getting better support from the public. Getting more fans through the gate, increasing participation levels, increasing interest levels & media exposure which will in turn generate more investment from government and buisnesses.

We all bemoan the fact we have poor crowds, that our season is so short, that we don't more teams to play against, that we don't have an FFA Cup - Well this all comes down to the game not having enough interest from the public domestically. If had that support from the public, alot of those ambitions would be able to be realisied. Having arguably our greatest Socceroo lambasting the compeititon in no way does a favour to the game, or helps it's position in Australia when it's struggling for traction in an already over-crowded sports market.

Cahill could have quite easily said "I didn't chose to go to the A-League because it wasn't the right time for me" or something else similar. It still would have been true, his crediblity would have still been intact, it wouldn't have been dribble and most importantly the game would be in a stronger position today then it is now, had he said he said that instead.

Sometimes in life a few simple different words make all the difference. Yesterday was one of those moments for Cahill.

Edited by FB.
  • Like 2

I do agree with what you are saying FB. He could have been a bit more tactful but at the end of the day, is it really for him to worry about? People wanted to know why he didnt go to the A-League and he told them. Because its a step down, which it is.

Instead of people getting upset at players "not giving back to the local game" (as though the A-League had anything what so ever to do with his career being what it is today), why are we not getting upset about the state of our league and asking our administrators why we have never been able to keep our best players here? What can we do to change this? Can we actually do anything to change this?

All he did was give us a reality check. And judging by some of the comments floating about the internet, its a reality check we need. Enough kid gloves.

• Like 1