Melbourne Football

Aziz Behich

Murfy1

Behich looks overseas

July 19, 2012

OLYROO wing-back Aziz Behich is the latest player to potentially enter the Melbourne Heart departure lounge, with the left-side defender attracting interest from leading Turkish Super Lig side Besiktas.

Besiktas has been in touch with the Melbourne club about the left-back and should any deal go ahead Heart could pocket somewhere in the region of $500,000-$700,000 for a player of his age and experience, with the club looking to build in extra revenue streams on sale clauses or fees matched to first-team appearances. Striker Eli Babalj moved to Red Star Belgrade in June, while defender Brendan Hamill agreed to a deal with Korean club Seongnam at the weekend. Another young defender, Curtis Good, has attracted the interest of English Premier League team Newcastle United.

Heart football operations boss John Didulica said the overseas interest showed Heart's development program was on track and should encourage the best young talent to the club.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/behich-looks-overseas-20120718-22alh.html#ixzz20z3Fdb20

isn't this old news that has been resurfaced? aka been linked to this club before?

or my mind is completely out of loop atm

He was linked with gala I think not besiktas, pretty sure thats what I heard someone say, didnt see any article or anything.

Behich is currently a better player than the other 3 so not particularly surprising.

Definitely annoying if its a 4th guy gone now, though Good still not confirmed to have left and this Behich rumour is still far from substantiated.

In b4 Dugandzic goes as well, I honestly thought he was the most likely to leave this offseason

Edited by Tesla

It's remarkable that last offseason we couldn't even sell Marrone, now we've sold to big clubs in Serbia and Korea and have attracted interest from other big clubs in England and Turkey.

If the club want to sell it'll become more important that Heart know how to scout and negotiate replacements. I think there is a little bit of transfer fatigue, but that is the price of developing footballers successfully. We haven't sold players before, as Heart had only cut loose players like Heffernan and Beauchamp.

I don't think it was a fluke that Heart signed up so many good players like Behich, Babalj, Hamill, Zahra, Good, Kalmar, Dugandzic, Marrone etc etc etc. We also scouted and established a very good youth team last season from scratch.

If they sell Behich, who I reckon would really want to play in Turkey for Besiktas, I have faith that the club know what they are doing. Heart still have 5-6 weeks to sign players to allow for the full squad to have 3-4 weeks of preseason. I think there is a fair chance he'll stay for next season, but we'll see what happens.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Yeh I too thought dugandzic was going...

500 - 700K... If thats the price range... we may be able to install some ice baths lol.

we aren't a joke... We are the real deal. Good luck to all the players that get a chance to play in the bigger leagues. It's ever kids dream, these guys are living it and there pathway is through Melbourne Heart. I quite proud of that.

• Like 1

Solid cash injection of around 2 million all up this off season if he and Good go as well. Will definitely ease some pain and go a long way to balancing the books and paying off our debts, which I wouldn't be surprised if they were upwards of 3 million. I feel like the club isn't too phased with the performance on the pitch this season and are just trying to cut costs as much as possible until the next TV deal.

Hahahahaha! We are a joke.

How so?

All the interest in our players thus far shows that we have done a great job in bringing on these players after only 2 seasons of existence and is a testament to the calibre of the recruting by the Football department and the squad we had last season. A great reflection on the club if you ask me.

Wether the transfer eventuates is another story.

Besiktas are in fairly deep financial trouble atm. Demiroren royally shafted the club when he was leading it before taking up his post as president of the TTF. Basically on a shoe string budget for next season, closing sports branches, asking players to take paycuts, offloading foreigners + are also banned from European competition next season due to financial irregularities. With the reduced foreigner quota coming into affect over the next few seasons in the Superlig and accounting for the money flow issues mentioned above, I dont know wether they could offer us that sort of money for a player which may not qualify as a Turkish Citizen. If it does go through though, he would probably be a fair bit behind in the pecking order as Quasmera, Simao, Gulum, Necip, Koybasi etc. can all do what he does on the left side.

Not sure if it will be the best move for him, but the club can't stand in the way of a player's career. If they do it will just detract from us being able to sign other aspiring youngsters and will only serve to create an embittered player next season.

I don't know if Aziz has the technical qualities to make it at one of the bigger Istanbul clubs - I suspect he may likely end up at one of the less glamorous Anadolu sides (as most of the other Aussie Turks have done who have headed over there) but opportunities like this may only come up once in a player's career. If he wants to go, we must let him. I don't know if any of us could be truly upset at him for wanting to further his football.

• Like 6

I dont know wether they could offer us that sort of money for a player which may not qualify as a Turkish Citizen.

I'd imagine they would confirm this before signing him.

As far as I know his background is Turkish Cypriot (not sure if this is the correct term), so not sure how that effects his chances of being a Turkish citizen.

if his parents are Turkish then yes, he can get a Turkish passport. however, not sure if this means citizenship (?)

ive met his dad, im pretty sure i remember him saying he came from Turkey...

Edited by nicotera5

To anyone complaining that our quality young players are being sold overseas, it's pretty obvious to me that you don't understand yet how this league works and how the club is designed.

From day dot the club has stated that they want to be the premier club in Australia for developing youth and providing a pathway for our future Socceroos, which includes transfers to Europe/Asia if they are available. They've also stated that they won't stand in the way of a player if they're offered a contract overseas.

We have signed some fantastic young talent and, as you'd expect, different clubs are noticing their development and potential. The logical step from here is other clubs making offers to us.

Last season we could have very easily sold Michael Marrone for (then) $400k to Cagliari, and it would have happened if they hadn't changed their coach. This season we're seeing our other strong young players get noticed and offers come in. If a player has a buy-out clause and it's met, plus the player wants to further their development overseas, the club will NEVER stand in their way.

What is clearly frustrating people is that we've developed four strong players and we're having money thrown at us for them, meaning we're losing about 3 first XI players and one who is certainly up there.

Consider this:

We gain $2m total from the sales of Good, Hamill, Babalj and Behich. The biggest loss here is Behich, especially given we didn't get Goodwin as his replacement.

Imagine the club invests this $2m windfall in the La Trobe facility development to speed it up. Facilities are finished within 18 months, we've got a number of FIFA standard pitches, our youth team has a home ground that we don't have to rent anymore or, at minimum, that we can get income from, due to the better quality pitches we have a decrease in soft tissue injuries throughout the season (meaning more matches with your favourite players playing, more consistency in the starting XI and, hopefully, better long term results).

Having stronger facilities means that we're more likely to be able to sign higher quality players as well. Look at the way some morons froth over the Scum's facilities at AAMI Park.

tl;dr If you think the club is going to stop players from transferring overseas, you're gunna have a bad time.

Good to see that the Direct Line from Heart HQ @ your house is still in working order.

• Like 1

I hope there is a sign on clause as well, similar to that of Brescia and grella.

I believe FIFA regulations also state money must go to a players junior clubs.

Yes, we will get 1% of every transfer fee for the rest of his career. Victory will get 0.5%, including this transfer (if it happens).

Thats separate of any sell on clause we may include in the deal.

Hit the nail on the head kingawesomeness

A good example of exactly how well we've done selling our young players this off season is Curtis Good. Around this time last year we signed him from VTC (from memory?) for free and then paid him peanuts for the whole of last season, and now he's potentially going to go to NUFC for a 500k profit, considering our club is struggling big time financially, and we are improving a young Aussies career, it's a win win.

Edited by sikre

Hit the nail on the head kingawesomeness

A good example of exactly how well we've done selling our young players this off season is Curtis Good. Around this time last year we signed him from VTC (from memory?) for free and then paid him peanuts for thewoleof last season, and now he's potentially going to go to NUFC for a 500k profit, considering our club is struggling big time financially, and we are improving a young Aussies career, it's a win win.

This club needs ppl going to our games:

Its wins that bring ppl to games, not a good record of selling talented Youth to Europe.

• Like 3

Actually, we haven't sold anyone. Red Star haven't paid their first instalment for Babalj (see thread), Good has so far not transferred to Newcastle, allegedly because of visa problems, Hamill has gone for a medical, and the Aziz rumour is, well, just a rumour so far.

Everyone is jumping the gun.

Edited by jw1739

Really would like to know the source of the Good visa rumour because thats BS, he was never going to get a visa, they dont give visas to players like Good, Newcastle would obviously know this and not even try signing him. So he must have an EU passport or they were planning to loan him out to another country off the bat.

Really would like to know the source of the Good visa rumour because thats BS, he was never going to get a visa, they dont give visas to players like Good, Newcastle would obviously know this and not even try signing him. So he must have an EU passport or they were planning to loan him out to another country off the bat.

unless he eligible for eu passport but doesnt have one hence issues arrising from trying to get it. Ie not really eligible

• Like 1

1 of these sales provides equivalent funds to getting about 2000 members.

True but in the quest for survival:

It is like Rent Money – As in Dead Money.

It may be the same price as 2000 memberships BUT I would trade our club having this amount of money for 1000 new members any day of the week.

We could of had say 3 or 4 more wins last year and thus an extra 1000 members:

If JVS had treated our backline seriously and not been so arrogant that he did not worry about all our experience defenders all jumping ship at the end of Season One because he was so above Aussie Sokka he thought he could replace them with kids.

This club needs families buying memberships:

And families unlike EPL or Green and Gold Army Nerds don’t buy memberships on Club’s Youth Records or Attacking Football Policies they buy them on whether the team before them wins games of soccer.

At the end of the day you cannot console a crying five year old when their side loses a match with the feelgood benefits of a Youth Policy. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Edited by cadete

Supporters are more important to the long term stability of the club than a once off windfall. And if we keep relying on these transfer fees the club will never get anywhere

Who says the club doesn't understand the value of supporters? And who is saying the club is relying solely on transfer fees to get by?

From what was said at the fan forum the club takes supporters and converting them to members as their no.1 priority and they outlined a number of ways of which they were going to go about this. With the transfer speculation, we really don't have much of a choice here. The players that have moved on (Babalj & Hamill) were both asked to stay but they wanted to head overseas. Since they wanted to go, the club really had no choice but to let them go.

Speaking in general here, but some of you guys need to stop buying into the mindless rubbish posted on footballanarchy and mong.net about us and get back to reality.

If the club was shopping our players around for fees - then that would be a different story. But the fact that we have been trying to convince these guys to stay, suggests that isn't the case.

Edited by FB.
  • Like 1

Who says the club doesn't understand the value of supporters? And who is saying the club is relying solely on transfer fees to get by?

From what was said at the fan forum the club takes supporters and converting them to members as their no.1 priority and they outlined a number of ways of which they were going to go about this. With the transfer speculation, we really don't have much of a choice here. The players that have moved on (Babalj & Hamill) were both asked to stay but they wanted to head overseas. Since they wanted to go, the club really had no choice but to let them go.

Speaking in general here, but some of you guys need to stop buying into the mindless rubbish posted on footballanarchy and mong.net about us and get back to reality.

If the club was shopping our players around for fees - then that would be a different story. But the fact that we have been trying to convince these guys to stay, suggests that isn't the case.

What has MV.Net or FA got to do with anything?

I think that ppl on here can form their own opinions.

I just sick of every time something happens @ Heart, regardless of it be positive or negative:

Being told by our CEO and then his ever growing army of brainwashed Twitter supporters that whatever the result (On Field or Off Field) the club intended things to go that way as its best for “Our Football Philosophy”.

The "Our Football Philosophy" line has been the answer for everything we have done for over two years now and it really has started to become a bit overused.

It is been used for everything from “Saving Money by Combining NYL Training with Senior Training” to the “Letting go of Senior Players and Replacing them with Untried Juniors” and of course "Then selling of these Juniors once we have put games and they are about to become much better players".

IF “The Our Football Philosophy” line is not simply just an excuse trotted out for every Money Saving/ Bad Management decision by the club?

When does the " Our Football Philsophy" start to corelate with my primary reason and that of most Supporters for watching Heart:

To see them win games of Soccer???

EDIT: I know someone will say it will take time to click into gear but look how much time all of the many dead NSL and A League clubs had before it was too late?

In Australia, Soccer is a sport like Baseball or Ice Hockey that in this country requires us to convert Supporters (In particular Families) to the actual Sport itself for them to become Members.

This is made near impossible if we don’t provide them with a winning product straight away.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

when did i ever say anything like that about the club ffs. it is in response to all the ppl posting who want us to become the west ham of australia..

im sure the club would rather hold onto these players, but realistically they can't, its just silly that people think we need to keep selling our best players to stay afloat and viable in the long term

Edited by malloy
  • Like 1

"There is interest and we are looking at our options," Behich's Melbourne-based agent Dragan Jetvic said.

"They want to have a look at Aziz in camp in what would be a trial situation and we are not sure we are going to go down that path.

"It's a big club and it's flattering for him to have that interest.

"There is also the option to stay at Melbourne Heart for another year and improve even more.

"There is also interest from other clubs and we don't know where that will lead."

Behich's parents emigrated from Turkey and while he was born in Australia he speaks fluent Turkish. The 21-year-old has two years remaining on his Heart deal.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1113764/Options-for-new-North-adventure

Edited by Tesla