Melbourne Football

SPECULATIVE Striker Options for 2012/13

biancorosso7

With the season fast approaching, and strikers still unsigned, how about some speculative options?

1. Nate Foster - he would take our last visa spot, but has had a prominent season in the VPL, topping the goal scoring table with 8 goals in 11 matches (equal with Luke Flynn);

2. Zac Walker - a promotion from the NYL side who could serve as the new Babalj or an impact player off the bench, as he did last season.

3. Richie Cardozo - has recently returned from Austria to the VPL with Hume, where he had proven himself with 19 goals in the 2010-11 season. He is an attacking mid by nature, but maybe he'll fit right in to JA's plans.

Well if twitter is correct, and we all know it always is, we have apparently signed Michael Owen ;)

And if so,

1) SM and JD have been pulling the wool over our eyes with the "no need for a big name" line;

2) Christian7/8 will probably claim this; and

3) WOW! How are we looking now?

Just Fontaine.

lol. But i'm curious about the Richard Porta - Arab Money business i keep hearing about. Has he actually been sold there or is it all just speculative based on his loan there from nacional?

And Michael Owen, the fuck?

Edited by Che

The source is pretty spot on usually isn't he/she? Gets you excited for sure, but can't get your hopes up.

3 reasons:

1. Club has continuously said no big names will be signed. "We are not a circus"?

2. His wages would have been ridiculous an United, surely he could get better $$$ somewhere else.

3. Christian7/8 predicted something like this, must be bullshit.

ozsportsinsider does get some things right. For example, Matt Acton to be Brisbane's no. 2 keeper, which he predicted in May and was confirmed today. But he also said we were deep in talks with Hernandez, which was rubbish.

When you read Owen's private life - flying, cars, his mansion etc. - it's hard to imagine him trotting out of the tunnel against the Phoenix come October.

Be a hell of a coup for us though if we could pull it off!

• Like 2

on a personal note im a huge LFC fan and would love owen...my dads a united fan...so he likes owen...so there might peace in the family after all...cmon scotty mun...splash the cash...it would be a big step from maycon to owen lol...

(now back to reality....were not signing big names)

Might be on my own on this, but would be pretty dissapointed if we went ahead and imported some big name player.

Can only assume Owen's wages would be ridiculously exorbitant for our club, after we have made so much sacrifices this season in trying to cut down on our expenses.

Reeks of something flashy that Bling FC would have tried to pull circa 2005. Its just not Melbourne. We are a city of substance, and the policy of deveolping our own stars has thus far proven to be a succesful one.

Bringing big name marques into the league has failed in almost every instance, whether that be in bringing sustained increases to crowd numbers/supporter bases or with results on the field. It's just not worth it in my view.

At the end of the day this would probably end up pushing back plans for fan ownership and the devolpment of proffesional training facilites at LaTrobe which is what I'm far more concerned with - as a supporter, in the long run.

Edited by FB.
  • Like 1

When you read Owen's private life - flying, cars, his mansion etc.

Just read about his private life after seeing this post. Damn this guy is balling so hard, "Owen also bought an entire street for his extended family (Austen Close, Ewloe), which is in an area close to where he used to live"

I don't think we need to worry about being outbid if these rumours are true. Owen would only come here for the lifestyle as he has had offers in the UK and elsewhere which would offer more than we can.

Maybe we can sign him on a special working holiday visa.

Edited by Peter

Striking Options Realistically:

Michael Owen (Would love for it to happen as an LFC fan, but it won't)

Richard Porta

Nate Foster?

Zac Walker?

Kerem Bulut?

Out of those three, I'd take Walker, but would would love to see Bulut get his crack in the A-League, so much potenital, just has to get his head right though.

Might be on my own on this, but would be pretty dissapointed if we went ahead and imported some big name player.

Can only assume Owen's wages would be ridiculously exorbitant for our club, after we have made so much sacrifices this season in trying to cut down on our expenses.

Reeks of something flashy that Bling FC would have tried to pull circa 2005. Its just not Melbourne. We are a city of substance, and the policy of deveolping our own stars has thus far proven to be a succesful one.

Bringing big name marques into the league has failed in almost every instance, whether that be in bringing sustained increases to crowd numbers/supporter bases or with results on the field. It's just not worth it in my view.

At the end of the day this would probably end up pushing back plans for fan ownership and the devolpment of proffesional training facilites at LaTrobe which is what I'm far more concerned about for in the long run.

I half agree with the not wanting to bring in a big name player because it makes us look like bling fc, but i genuinely believe that this would be beneficial to our club, and is probably a route towards long term development rather than pushing it back.

Michael Owen was huge, and still is pretty big. Casual soccer fans will want to come and see him play. Therefore, i genuinely believe that this would increase our crowds. I think the previous examples of big name players coming to the A-League haven't made an impact based on circumstance: Fowler went to Townesville, a city that never really looked interested in the first place, and Kewell came to what was already the biggest club in the A-League that went on to have a terrible season and was also competing against a cross-town rival for dominance in the Melbourne market. Genuinely believe we are in a circumstance that could make it work. More crowds = bigger revenue = better chance of developing those facilities in the long run.

Owen is also clearly a much better striker than anyone in our club, or really anyone in the A-League at the moment. Scoring goals = winning games = attracting crowds = revenue = capital for long term development, which as you said should be a priority.

I think he's worth it, much more than Flores or Kewell, or even Bresciano.

But i still don't believe it's actually happening.

Edited by Che
  • Like 3

inb4 some stupid 10 game deal is made.

Whilst I'm excited by the rumour, I do share some of the sentiments of FB.

Huge player, bigger than Kewell, massive statement and all, but it's the complete opposite of that so called youth policy crap the club keeps going on about, just as it's been shown to work.

We sell two young players for reasonable amounts, both identified as future talents, and then spend the money on a close to retirement player? Complete backflip.

I'm against the idea, but a huge signing will always create excitement.

I don't think we need to worry about being outbid if these rumours are true. Owen would only come here for the lifestyle as he has had offers in the UK and elsewhere which would offer more than we can.

Maybe we can sign him on a special working holiday visa.

i agree this is why i thought i was getting a joke played on me when my mate sent me a text.

if lifestyle is going to be something/tool we as a club can try to lure players with there a guy who playes in south america i saw on setanta sports not long ago, he was playing a brilliant game, his name is Rodrigo Depetris im not sure if anyone has herd of him but his young...something like this guy would be amazing!!! (he may have to big a future to come to the A Leauge though IMO)

inb4 some stupid 10 game deal is made.

Whilst I'm excited by the rumour, I do share some of the sentiments of FB.

Huge player, bigger than Kewell, massive statement and all, but it's the complete opposite of that so called youth policy crap the club keeps going on about, just as it's been shown to work.

We sell two young players for reasonable amounts, both identified as future talents, and then spend the money on a close to retirement player? Complete backflip.

I'm against the idea, but a huge signing will always create excitement.

Could also be seen in helping develop young strikers - imagine Zac Walker learning from Michael Owen and JA instead of just JA, that sounds pretty fucking boss to me

Edited by Che