Melbourne Football

Architecture

Braveheart

I wouldn't profess to possess a detailed knowledge of the subject but I do have a strong interest in 'the art of the building'.

Most of the subject that peaks my interest is generally steeped in history and conspicuous expressions of ideology rather than traditional movements or schools but I do desire to learn about these other areas of man's Architectural journey.

I know there are some very well versed and knowledgeable fellow forumites who will lap this thread up and share some of their favourite works/individuals.

Anyway, here's some of my favourites.

Communist/Stalinist:

Druzbha Sanatorium, Yalta, Ukraine, 1985

qx4ffc.jpg

200ejbc.jpg

xndweo.jpg

Soviet Roads Ministry, Tblisi, Georgia, 1975

egol8k.jpg

2cdvo1i.jpg

The Soviet Central Design and Research Institute for Robotics and Technical Cybernetics, St.Petersburg(Leningrad), Russia, 1987

n33vur.jpg

'Mother Fatherland' Statue, Kiev, Ukraine, 1981

zk60bk.jpg

or6pgj.jpg

'Mother of the Motherland', Volgograd, Russia, 1967

sqjmoi.jpg

Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Moscow, Russia, 1953

k1ui9s.jpg

2ednoms.jpg

208xs2c.jpg

Krasnye Vorota Metro Station, Moscow, Russia, 1935

deget.jpg

• Like 5

Le Corbusier's plan for the complete development of central Paris; Plan Voisin, using his conceptual 'Radiant City' theory as the basis.

207a.jpg

Communal parks, gardens and recreational spaces sit between residential apartment buildings. Raised motorways weave in between carrying people to their respective destinations. The space on top of the apartment buildings is given over to roof-top gardens, and thus the city becomes the perfect machine.

109.jpg

• Like 1

At some point I'll have to talk about my manifesto for managing growth in Melbourne's middle and outer suburbs, of which good architectual design is of paramount importance. We must design places for living, not just spaces for using.

• Like 1

Traditional:

Matsumoto Castle:

800px-Matsumoto_Castle05s5s4592.jpg

Built by Ishikawa Kazumasa and his son Yasunaga in 1590, personal favourite.

Himeji Jo:

himeji-jo-himeji-japon-1.jpg

800px-Old_painting_of_Himeji_castle.jpg

Built in 1333, along with Kumamoto and Matsumoto, is one of the three original castles left in Japan. More notably, Himeji survived the bombing in '45.

Modern:

Tokyo Sky Tree:

sky_tree_2011.jpg

Second tallest structure in the world, completed recently, more notably built in the suburb I used to live in. A significant improvement from the ''Tokyo Tower''.

Kyoto Station:

800px-Kyoto8.png

Fuji TV HQ:

2410.jpg

Top class restaurant inside the ball, trippy as fuck inside.

The Bottle Opener:

Shanghai%20World%20Financial%20Centre%20%26%20Jinmao%20Tower%20in%20Sunset.jpg

What I like to call the bottle opener, my dads local bar is the the tower right next to it (Jin Mao) although not as aesthetically pleasing, considering it's the highest bar in the world, drinks are about the same price as you would pay here. Always the first place I head to when I go to Shangers. 5 star place to get maggot.

Edited by Hendo
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Call me ignorant, but I was unaware that the Ryugyong Hotel in Pyongyang, North Korea was unfinished. I honestly thought it just looked that way. Apparently me envisioning every building in North Korea as giant grim concrete monstrosities is a misperception created by the American pig media.

Construction on the hotel started in 1987 but work ground to a halt in 1992 after North Korea suffered a crippling financial crisis leaving the building unfinished and abandoned.

Unbeknownst to me construction started back up in 2008 and the hotel is due to open in August this year.

100571773_ec21b93bac_o.jpg

ryugyong_hotel.jpg

Ryugyong_Hotel_6b767.jpg

Edited by KSK_47

Walter Burley Griffin's Newman College, University of Melbourne. :D :D :D

newmancollege3_lg.jpg

IW_03_newman_college-oz.jpg

Newman-college-745855.jpg

newman-college-1.jpg

4585096012_788e328bae_z.jpg

Chapel.JPG

holly fuck! We stayed there for camp back in year 12. Two of my mates were fucked and ran around that court yard thing in the middle of the walls completely naked then swam in one of the fountains. Afterwards about five of us scaled the walls to sneak out and went out in Carlton.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

holly fuck! We stayed there for camp back in year 12. Two of my mates were fucked and ran around that court yard thing in the middle of the walls completely naked then swam in one of the fountains. Afterwards about five of us scaled the walls to sneak out and went out in Carlton. Rofl.
  • Like 1

holly fuck! We stayed there for camp back in year 12. Two of my mates were fucked and ran around that court yard thing in the middle of the walls completely naked then swam in one of the fountains. Afterwards about five of us scaled the walls to sneak out and went out in Carlton. Rofl. That's actually a pretty tame story for Newman College TBF.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...