Melbourne Football

Matchday 10: v Newcastle - Sunday 15th December 6:30 pm at McDonald Jones Stadium

Harrison

12 hours ago, Harrison said:

No doubt good for his conditioning. 

Agreed, he needs to work on that.

Really, after 10 rounds in the season you can’t play more than 45min at professional level. Unprofessional, lazy, injury, climate - what’s happening here?

Second half he was trying to offload the ball as quickly as he could, no more gas.

Yes he scored twice but surely there were far better performers on the pitch last night, that’s for those who called Luna MoM.

Edited by Mr MO

53 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Agreed, he needs to work on that.

Really, after 10 rounds in the season you can’t play more than 45min at professional level. Unprofessional, lazy, injury, climate - what’s happening here?

Second half he was trying to offload the ball as quickly as he could, no more gas.

Yes he scored twice but surely there were far better performers on the pitch last night, that’s for those who called Luna MoM.

He was very important to our build-up play. He and Cabrera were dismantling the Newcastle midfield and defence. They isolated Kantarovski and Kotroumbis and used triangles really well. Some of our moves were simply brilliant and Luna was an important part of it. Genreau did much the same on the other side.

Also, we pressed in a 4-4-2 after we lost possession, with Luna next to Maclaren leading the press up top. So I’m not surprised he was buggered by HT, because he did a mountain of work. 

• Like 3

Wow that was some really nice football - i'd go as far as to say that was the most pleasing and creative football i have seen from us for a few years. Some of those beautiful quick fire/one touch triangles were lovely and just such a change from the week before. 

Great to see how the coach responded with his changes and how the team did as well.

More please.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, rass said:

Wow that was some really nice football - i'd go as far as to say that was the most pleasing and creative football i have seen from us for a few years. Some of those beautiful quick fire/one touch triangles were lovely and just such a change from the week before. 

Great to see how the coach responded with his changes and how the team did as well.

More please.

It’s exactly what I wanted to see. I’ve obviously been a vocal critic of our midfield and mainly it’s been to do with the composition of it. 

That midfield works much better. It’s able to keep more of the ball in dangerous areas, which prevented Newcastle from holding the middle even with their double pivot, it’s more mobile and it’s very flexible too. The shift in shape as we moved between phases was making it difficult for Newcastle to find any sort of rhythm or control. Petratos is a tricky player to defend but I thought we did well when they countered. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, rass said:

More please.

I loved the way our lads were still burning off the Newcastle defenders right at the end of the match. 

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Wales is an excellent player to be subbed on even though he can’t finish.

I am no fan of Wales, but I agree. The last thing a tiring full back wants is for some twat who doesn't stop running being subbed on late in the game. And until the salary cap restraints are lifted we need to accept that squad players are gonna have certain deficiencies and it really comes down to the coach to effectively utilise the players strengths.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

Since the beginning of our club, I have been to or watched every single one of our A-League matches, and I cannot recall a game when we played better

In your opinion how does it compare to the derby at Etihad where Cahill scored the long-range goal?

3 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

Since the beginning of our club, I have been to or watched every single one of our A-League matches, and I cannot recall a game when we played better

I agree. The Mooy era was pleasing on the eye but this was tacitcally beautiful and everyone on the pitch was giving it their all and in sync. I doubt we can recreate it every week but it was an exceptional team performance (the press and the triangle play as well as some great long balls - Glover was a calming presence too.) All round - team performance and hoping it is just the beginning.

10 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Bicuspid valve (2 leaflets instead of the normal 3 leaflets) caused by a random genetic abnormality - "just unlucky"

Best wishes on a speedy recovery mate. My old man had a valve replacement ~25 years ago and still going strong. At least with no JVS the heart pulpitations might be a bit less.

• Like 1