Melbourne Football

Wimbledon

LR9

Yet another huge tournament to add to this Crazy Euro summer.

Dunno if anyone was watching last night, but Tom Berdych got done by Gulbis 6-7,6-7,6-7.

John Isner was probably the other big upset going down in 4 Alehandro Falla.

Aussies play tonight, from 8:30 on 7 Two.

Yeah, he isn't much of a grass court player amd he comes into Wimbledon slightly injured, so Hewitt could be in with a chance, taking over his seed, etc.

Tomic won the 1st set, and currently down a break in the 2nd.

Edited by LR9

Hewitt doesn't stand a fucking chance, Tsonga is way too fast, way too powerful & way too good for Hewitt.

I honestly think Hewitt should retire, the last 5 years have been dreadful.

fwiw, Tsonga plays fine on grass, made the Semi's last year etc.

Edited by DutchPride
  • Like 2

He is slightly injured and his grass game is by far his worst, stranger things have happened but Hewitt is in horrible form and far from it.

Agree Hewitt should retire, has a brilliant future as a commentator ahead of him.

Edited by LR9

The only more lucky winner of Wimbledon than Hewitt was probably fucken Pat Cash.

The difference was Cash got all the best players injured/on the other side of the draw for only one Tournament rather than everything lining up in such a manner for a couple of years.

FFS even Stich was better Wimbeldon Winner than Hewitt IMO as he at least had to play against Becker, Edberg, and Lendl and a young Sampras and Agassi.

Hewitt was lucky enough to find himself playing in between two great eras, his quite possibly the luckiest man in professional Men’s Tennis History. Underservant up themselves winners of Wimbledon like Hewitt annoy me so much as an Ivan Lendl fan.

Edited by cadete

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Bump.

As a casual observer, one thing that usually bothers me and stops me following the sport more is how overpowered having a good serve is. Someone like Karlovic being a prime example, because he looks pretty shit to me apart from his serve. Seems to detract from the game. But then you see something like that and on the one hand it adds to what I've just said, but on the other hand it also contradicts it because it's crazy the amount of focus and mental strength that sort of game seems to require, and in the end that's what got Djokovic got over the line, more mental strength than Anderson who just lost his focus for a few serves (in regard to the last set). 

Just my uneducated opinion anyway.

Edited by Tesla

Besides some of those bigger guys who rely on their serve as their major weapon the game is dominated by athletic players with big ground strokes. And the serve isn't as effective as it once was at Wimbledon due to the surface being slower. I'm heavily involved coaching in the sport and I can say your observation is correct, the mental focus is on a different level to many sports. Refer to Mourinhos reference to tennis players mental strength about 3 weeks back. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

Bump.

As a casual observer, one thing that usually bothers me and stops me following the sport more is how overpowered having a good serve is. Someone like Karlovic being a prime example, because he looks pretty shit to me apart from his serve. Seems to detract from the game. But then you see something like that and on the one hand it adds to what I've just said, but on the other hand it also contradicts it because it's crazy the amount of focus and mental strength that sort of game seems to require, and in the end that's what got Djokovic got over the line, more mental strength than Anderson who just lost his focus for a few serves (in regard to the last set). 

Just my uneducated opinion anyway.

A big serve is indeed a huge weapon but over 3,4 or 5 sets it will eventually break down or be broken down. Karlovic has a huge serve but like you said its hard to consistently put the ball where you want it and not only that, you need to mix it up coz players like Murray and Novak will catch on to where the ball is going and crush it. 

• Like 1