Melbourne Football

David Williams

sharpy

JvS tends to use him as an inverted winger. At the moment, he is using Dugandzic on one wing in this role, but using Worm as a wider winger on the other wing. We also have Babalj occupying the central striking role, which would also suit Williams, but Eli is in a bit of form at the moment.

Having a wealth of tactical options in the squad doesn't mean we should give him the boot.

why would you sack worm?

he's been pretty bloody good. watch derby II replay. he makes the 2nd goal. he and thompson have a pretty good understanding on the pitch and you can't buy that

Agree, Worm is playing fantastic this year, way better than i though he could.

At NQF he was given a free reign to attack in any way that he wanted, whereas here he is being told that he has a number of defensive responsibilities as well. It's not that he's shit or needs to be sacked, he just needs a season to get used to our style of play and better learn how to defend as a wing-unit in a 4-3-3 system. Probably won't become a regular this season beyond time off the bench, however will improve for next year.

Just to throw everyone back to mid last year, before the season: when we signed him, everyone including him though that he was going to waltz in, destroy the league under our system, and be off to Europe before his 25th birthday.

I take Williams inability to rediscover his NQF form as a testament to our squad depth and playing style. If you can't match the style, you're not going to make it.

David really has struggled playing with limitations and less game time. But he is a very, very capable player and I'm sure he'll come good with time, much like a few other members of our first XI.

We can't just 'sack' David. He's on a 3-year contract. If he wants to, he can just sit here and take his wages for the next couple of seasons and there's not a thing we can do about it. I could never understand why we signed him in the first place, and I'm not surprised that things have turned out the way they have. Although we'll never know, I'd be interested to find out who was the instigator behind his signing. It was painfully obvious that we were short on defenders, and either at the time or shortly before, JvS was scouting around in Europe for one or more defensive players, then all of a sudden we sign David Williams. He'd done absolutely nothing for Sydney, and they let him go, yet we signed him. He doesn't have the speed, ball skills, aerial ability etc. to add anything to the squad that wasn't already there. He just doesn't fit the style of play that JvS wants. As somone remarked on RWU, when he comes on as a sub it's as if we have suddenly gone down to 10 men.

If you go though the squad, David is one of a number of players who simply are not pushing for a first-team berth on their merits, and that's just not good enough. No club can afford to carry passengers on their list.

Williams shouldn't be making the extended squad, but this week he's been named over Zahra and Ibrahim. I don't how sharp Ibrahim and Zahra are but if they are up for selection and not injured one of them should get picked over Williams. Like with Babalj and Maycon earlier in the season, even if Zahra or Ibrahim isn't 100% they should still be much better than Williams is currently.

I think Williams could come good but I don't see that happening this season.

zahra is still not 100% he said he still has to work his way upto a full 90 mins with the youth before even considering the seniors and that he doesn't want to rush back and potentially be out longer, whats a few extra weeks to make sure you are 100% right compared to months out cos of an aggravated injury

as for kamal i got no idea where he is in terms of fitness, but he has been training with the youth

I think Kamal doesn't seem to be applying himself enough to get into the senior squad, almost appears content to play in the NYL. He probably has his best chance to get a game in the next week with squad rotation, but even then I think he'll struggle to make the bench in any of the games.

The people who are saying that we should sack Williams or play injured players in his stead are probably the same ones who initially lambasted Madaschi for his first game or two, then sung his praises shortly after. We signed him on a three year deal for a reason. Just remember that he's 23, he's not a current Socceroo and he's not the son of God. Give him time to adapt to the system.

• Like 1

Quite a bit of jest in my use of the word 'sack'. Just wanting to bring up debate/conversation on his form as I have been extremely disappointed with it. I actually prefer Maycon to him to be honest, yeah I went there!

Maybe we can swap there passports? Surely the club has contacts that could do that? ;)

I think Kamal doesn't seem to be applying himself enough to get into the senior squad, almost appears content to play in the NYL. He probably has his best chance to get a game in the next week with squad rotation, but even then I think he'll struggle to make the bench in any of the games.

The people who are saying that we should sack Williams or play injured players in his stead are probably the same ones who initially lambasted Madaschi for his first game or two, then sung his praises shortly after. We signed him on a three year deal for a reason. Just remember that he's 23, he's not a current Socceroo and he's not the son of God. Give him time to adapt to the system.

It is interesting you mention Madaschi as the sides form with him in side is the exact reason we have should not of signed Williams.

We just went through the longest Off Season ever and JVS failed to sign a more experienced Defender, despite declaring he intended to do so.

I am not disputing he did well signing Good and Hamill but a quick look at the Win/Loss stats shows that when the two very unexperienced Colts play together in Central Defence we are far more prone to concede stupid goals and lose/draw games.

This is opposed to when Madaschi was in the side which coincided with the club greatest period of form in its short history.

I am not suggesting we could have signed Madaschi on a season long deal but we could at least signed another experienced Central Defender.

Instead the only one we have is Colosimo who is mistake and injury prone and clearly on the way out next season.

Instead we sign a guy who is a now a Fourth Choice Winger on a three year deal.

Not only this we also already have another decent young Winger recovering from a long term injury in the NYL side, alongside another even younger winger in Kamal.

Our senior squad currently has 6 players (4 Fit) for its 2 wings, and one of those positions will obv always be filled by the Number 23. So really we have 5 players (4 Fit) for 1 position on the field.

This is opposed to how we have 3 players (2 Fit) for the 2 central defensive spots.

Therefore I think it’s fair enough that people feel aggrieved that one our better paid players on a three year deal cannot found enough form to warrant a place in the team.

Edited by cadete

It is interesting you mention Madaschi as the sides form with him in side is the exact reason we have should not of signed Williams.

We just went through the longest Off Season ever and JVS failed to sign a more experienced Defender, despite declaring he intended to do so.

I am not disputing he did well signing Good and Hamill but a quick look at the Win/Loss stats shows that when the two very unexperienced Colts play together in Central Defence we are far more prone to concede stupid goals and lose/draw games.

This is opposed to when Madaschi was in the side which coincided with the club greatest period of form in its short history.

I am not suggesting we could have signed Madaschi on a season long deal but we could at least signed another experienced Central Defender.

Instead the only one we have is Colosimo who is mistake and injury prone and clearly on the way out next season.

Instead we sign a guy who is a now a Fourth Choice Winger on a three year deal.

Not only this we also already have another decent young Winger recovering from a long term injury in the NYL side, alongside another even younger winger in Kamal.

Our senior squad currently has 6 players (4 Fit) for its 2 wings, and one of those positions will obv always be filled by the Number 23. So really we have 5 players (4 Fit) for 1 position on the field.

This is opposed to how we have 3 players (2 Fit) for the 2 central defensive spots.

Therefore I think it’s fair enough that people feel aggrieved that one our better paid players on a three year deal cannot found enough form to warrant a place in the team.

I would agree with you if the timing of what you're talking about wasn't so far off. Williams was our fourth signing of the off-season (22 June 2011) and was followed only by Maycon, Germano and Roganovic. Yes, in hindsight, you could say that we needed another defensive signing, but that's what Germano was initially signed as. At the start of our season, our defenders were:

Colosimo, Thompson, Good, Hamill, Marrone, Behich, Germano and Taseski

Since then we've had Thompson and Germano move to midfield, Taseski and Colosimo get injured and, as mentioned, Madaschi come and go.

When Williams was signed, our attacking players looked pretty slim:

Babalj, Terra, Worm, Ibrahim, Dugandzic, Hoffman and Zahra (+).

With his history at NQF, he was in a position to be starting every match, playing well and scoring goals.

It's impossible to say that the club should've had the foresight to sign Madaschi, even more so by saying we should've done it in Williams' place.

I understand both viewpoints, but if someone had told me, during the period we were after Williams, that we could have signed him but didn't, I would have been very disappointed. He was class at NQF and his signing made sense.

Hindsight is a useful tool.

Centre Back is our priority now, definitely.

The one most worrying position for us atm, imo.

That makes no sense Scouse, we only had three senior wingers, one very young winger and one injured winger at the start of the year for all of our many wings.

In central defence we had two kids that had never played before, and two guys that are always injured and a Box to Box midfieler,and a Defensive midfielder.

I'm under the impression Heart only has so much to spend on signings, which is why all of our signings have been smart buys. For instance, getting Williams, a player from a club going defunct, signing the cheap and quality AIS defender Good, bringing Fred back to Melbourne and discovering the real find Germano.

We did think we might need to sign a new striker early in this season, so its definitely only with hindsight that Williams is appearing to be superfluous.

I do think another central defender would be a useful signing, but if Colosimo comes back soon then it shouldn't be an issue. And according to Scott Munn he should be back soon: "And I think Simon [Colosimo] will have a test and if he's not available on Wednesday, he'd be available for Saturday. That's our first goal," http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/228859,hearts-transplant-woes-for-injured-fred.aspx .

We'll come good without a signing I reckon.

There's two different issues here. The first is the signings during the off-season. Of the defenders in the original squad from last season, Heffernan and Beauchamp sought and were granted release. The addition to the list was Curtis Good. IMO it's too long a bow to draw to classify Jonotan Germano as a defender - he might be a defensive mid, but he shows a liking for attacking mid, and IMO he must be deemed a midfielder. We know that JvS was trying to sign a defender, and we know that terms were offered to Levchenko and unltimately declined. So we went into the season short of one defender, and that was borne out by the signing of Adrian Madaschi, a defender, as an injury replacement. QED.

The second issue is the form of David Williams. The title of the thread is a little unkind - perhaps it ought to be 'Whatever happened to David Williams?' With David's history, and form for NQF, and his self-professed intention to use Heart as a means to re-ignite his career in Europe, I think fans would have expected David to be a regular match squad member. That hasn't happened, and it's fair enough people are asking why.

There's two different issues here. The first is the signings during the off-season. Of the defenders in the original squad from last season, Heffernan and Beauchamp sought and were granted release. The addition to the list was Curtis Good. IMO it's too long a bow to draw to classify Jonotan Germano as a defender - he might be a defensive mid, but he shows a liking for attacking mid, and IMO he must be deemed a midfielder. We know that JvS was trying to sign a defender, and we know that terms were offered to Levchenko and unltimately declined. So we went into the season short of one defender, and that was borne out by the signing of Adrian Madaschi, a defender, as an injury replacement. QED.

The second issue is the form of David Williams. The title of the thread is a little unkind - perhaps it ought to be 'Whatever happened to David Williams?' With David's history, and form for NQF, and his self-professed intention to use Heart as a means to re-ignite his career in Europe, I think fans would have expected David to be a regular match squad member. That hasn't happened, and it's fair enough people are asking why.

It was meant as a smartarse title, he has disappointed though.