Melbourne Football

Cycling thread/ tour de france

salzy

Cav is a dog. Send him home. What an idiot.

At least he admitted to his error...

"I'm gutted about the crash today,” said Cavendish. "It was my fault. I'll personally apologize to Simon Gerrans as soon as I get the chance. In reality, I tried to find a gap that wasn't really there. I wanted to win today, I felt really strong and was in a great position to contest the sprint thanks to the unbelievable efforts of my team. Sorry to all the fans that came out to support - it was truly incredible.”

Get around my boy Vincenzo! That was an intense stage for the second stage of a grand tour. I thought Sagan had it covered til Nibali made that attack.

Sagan let him go!

He was being marked by everyone in that front group because of his speed, so Nibali attacked smartly when Sagan was on the front.

Sagan could easily have closed the gap, but didn't want to tire himself out before it was really necessary, and everyone else was so scared of Sagan that they didn't want to do the work!

Great stage though.

Really exciting to watch - goes along well with my love for classics rather than the longer races.

Been a super entertaining tour so far. Made all the more interesting with Richie Porte now Sky's team leader. Would love to see him have a crack at the podium. He is a decent time trialler so who knows what he can do. Still backing Contador in at this stage.

This is getting ridiculous!
The best two GC riders are gone.
Gives Nibali, Valverde, Kwiatkowski, van Garderen, Costa, etc. a good chance of competing now.
Joaquin Rodrigues probably would have won it if he actually went for the GC and not for stage races this time around.

Valverde I don't think has the legs for grand tours to be honest. Van garderen and Kwiatowski I don't think have the experience yet. Expecting a podium of Nibali, Porte, Kwiatowski now. Although who knows what will happen if we've lost the two favourites before we even hit the big mountains.

• Like 1

Nibali and Porte to crash out and my man kwaitkowski to make a charge for the yellow!!

Oh and Wtf is Nibali on coz I want some...

Nibali is riding well. But in reality he has no one to challenge him now that Froome and Contador are out so it's making his riding look so much better. Apart from Valverde there isn't any riders in the top bracket of GT contenders left now and as I stated earlier I don't think Valverde is GT rider just dominant in week long type races. Is a shame because Nibali in this form against Froome could have made for one of the all time great tour battles. I had a feeling even before he crashed that Contador wasn't quite there this year.

It is an atypical tour this year. When this is normally where the tour is decided it's now going to be a cruise through the alps / Pyrenees for Nibali and a bit of an anti climax really. However the first 9 days were a lot more exciting than most tours I've watched. Just wish they had of chucked in a TTT at the beginning to give OGE a shot at winning something.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

SYDNEY: Cadel Evans, the only Australian to win the Tour de France, announced on Thursday he will retire next February.

The 37-year-old, who won the Tour in 2011, told a news conference from the world championships in Ponferrada, Spain, that he would call it quits after riding Tour Down Under and the inaugural Cadel Evans Great Ocean Road one-day race on Feb 1.

“The chance of winning another Grand Tour is probably past me, something I have to accept. Now is a good time to say stop,” said Evans, also twice runner-up on the Tour in 2007 and 2008.

He won the world championships road race in 2009. He also took third place overall in the Giro d’Italia in 2013 and in the Tour of Spain in 2009, adding the prestigious Fleche Wallonne classic to his palmares in 2010.

“I knew I’d not be racing at 40, I had it in my mind that I’d never want to race at the high level at 40. I knew that it’d be before 40 years old that I’d stop, and now I’m at that period,” Evans added.

http://www.nst.com.my/node/37687

• 9 months later...

I don't know, but all the characters seem to have left the cycling scene. Blokes like Mario Cippolini. I used to sit up half the night to watch the thing but now I can't be bothered to even watch the highlights show. Cavendish is OK but I can't understand a word he says. The rest all seem like clones of one another.