Melbourne Football

Lets talk about the Olympics for a sec

Tesla

Olympics starting soon. Should provide some entertainment.

Some highlights to watch out for:

Football, obviously.

Gymnastics, IMO one of the most underrated, difficult, and true sports, and one of the greatest test of physical ability (SRS).

Swimming, cause Australia runs shit, or used to run shit, not looking great ATM

Weightlifting, always an entertaining sport to watch for some reason, always great potential for some quality injuries to happen as well if we are lucky.

Handball, great sport, doesnt get enough love in this country.

Woman's Hockey, because there are a fair few hot females as uncovered in the gratuitous hot chicks thread.

etc.

Could go on. Pretty much everything except the equestrian events, gay gymnastics (rhythmic), synchronise swimming.

Edited by Tesla

love handball TBH.

wouldnt mind watching the Hockey either. ;)

Diving is cool too but wouldnt want to watch it for more than half an hour.

Diving isnt too bad. Apart from those 3 I listed in the OP, I can watch any of them and be entertained. Even the equestrian I have watched before and it wasnt too bad, just a really stupid olympic sport.

Don't really care, it's the international version of the SPL (Pre-Rangers Liquidation)

China, U.S.A with Russia taking the scraps.

Love the Equestrian, the rest is shit, even the football.

Edited by Hendo

To teslas list id ad BMX, Wrestling, Judo, Mountain Biking, Sailing, Badmington, Modern Pentathlon and that White water down stream rafting (kyaking?) is also fugn shat.

Will watch the other 250 events. :P

Quality of tennis is usually pretty shithouse too.

-I love the amateur boxing and have always made a habit of paying close attention to it being a boxing fan. Seen a lot of quality fighters learn their craft in the amateurs.

-Love all the track and field events tbh

-Love the velodrome and its helps that the aussies are always strong in track cycling. partial to the Road Race as well.

-Archery and shooting are also underrated IMO too.

• Like 1

Don't really care, it's the international version of the SPL (Pre-Rangers Liquidation)

Mad that softball was dumped from the olympics.

Clearly u are unaware of the UK's spending and form coming into this games - Will break the Top 3.

It's really all about the Men's track events for me - the shorter the better. Ever since seeing Lewis vs Johnson in 88 I have loved the build up to the 100m.

Clearly u are unaware of the UK's spending and form coming into this games - Will break the Top 3.

They will be battling for 4th and 5th on the medal talley with Germany IMO, but if things really go their way, they might be able to challenge Russia on golds for 3rd, not on total medals though.

Australia looks like it will have its worst Olympics since 96, 6th is the best we can do and probably where we will finish, but tough competition for it again France, Italy, Japan & Korea. Even Kenya might get more golds than us FFS.

Ever since seeing Lewis vs Johnson in 88 I have loved the build up to the 100m.

In b4 Jamaican 1, 2, 3. Dem Jamaican sprinting genetics.

Edited by Tesla

Will watch Swimming and Water Polo intensely.

Actually strongly disagree with the sentiment that our swimming team is not great. Lots of really good underrated swimmers in there - Matson Lawson and such, and our men's relay teams are looking decent for about the first time in 5 years. Womens won't do as well as in Beijing or Rome Aquatic Championships but I'm still quietly optimistic about it all. Track Cycling too, we did well at the World Champs despite the UK's best efforts.

I fucking love the olympics.

Will watch Swimming and Water Polo intensely.

Actually strongly disagree with the sentiment that our swimming team is not great. Lots of really good underrated swimmers in there - Matson Lawson and such, and our men's relay teams are looking decent for about the first time in 5 years. Womens won't do as well as in Beijing or Rome Aquatic Championships but I'm still quietly optimistic about it all. Track Cycling too, we did well at the World Champs despite the UK's best efforts.

I fucking love the olympics.

Our men's swimming is really bad at the moment, relative to other nations, apart from the medley relay team, woman's is definitely worse than before, but still better than men's and will get us more medals.

We arent dominant like we used to be, like when it was pretty much just Aus vs US not to long ago

Fuck, on the topic of the strayan swimming team. Totally fucking forgot my old school mate back in Newy, we played League together when we were kids (Lethal five-eight and halfback combo) is fucking going to London. Tommy won the 200m freestyle in the qualifiers, will keep tabs on him at the games, was always a class athlete and I have to say, my dad did have some influence on crafting his talent. ;)

Fraser_Holmes.jpg

-Love the velodrome and its helps that the aussies are always strong in track cycling. partial to the Road Race as well.

Fuck, good to see someone else has any interest in the cycling.

The track makes for good entertainment for anyone regardless of If your into cycling or not. Also australia will be very strong in both men's and female categories this year

Fuck, good to see someone else has any interest in the cycling.

The track makes for good entertainment for anyone regardless of If your into cycling or not. Also australia will be very strong in both men's and female categories this year

Did a barista gig at the Thornbury/Northcote velodrome, been to the velodrome there? I'm pretty sure it was olympic cycling qualifiers, it's even better live, the speed is fucking ridiculous.

Also australia will be very strong in both men's and female categories this year

Yes, but again the women will probably do better.

Lucky that women's medals are regarded as highly as men's medals for some reason, otherwise we would really struggle in the olympics.

Our men's swimming is really bad at the moment, relative to other nations, apart from the medley relay team, woman's is definitely worse than before, but still better than men's and will get us more medals.

We arent dominant like we used to be, like when it was pretty much just Aus vs US not to long ago

Our men's 4x100 Freestyle Relay is amazing. Magnussen and Roberts have been the two fastest swimmers this year, plus Targett and sullivan who are both top ten swimmers - that's a tonne better than the last Olympics already for the men.

This being said, I agree with you that Australia no longer dominates. But it's not because we're really bad, but rather that everyone else has caught up. You would never have seen a Brazillian swimmer winning anything 10 years ago, nor a French swimmer, or a Brit, or a Norweigen, who are increasingly enforcing a presence on the international stage. Australia went through the same proccess - we won barely any swimming medals before 1992 - with some exceptions (shane gould, Dawn Fraser). We aren't any worse - everyone else has caught up.

I still believe we have a really strong team this year, but it has become more competitive and thus we probably will win fewer medals than in Beijing. That said i think our mens team is much stronger than four years ago, barring the 1500 free which for whatever reason no one in Australia can swim anymore.

Edited by Che
  • Like 1

Good points. Other countries improving rather than us getting worse is the correct way to look at it. Tough competition for the 4x100 freestyle (France, USA, etc.), but then again there is tough competition across the board. Best bit is that Magnussen and Roberts are both young (well maybe not that young by swimming standards), by next Olympics we might be back to dominating in the 100m at least.

Edited by Tesla

men basketball

I await the results of the qualification tournament which starts on Monday, but Macedonia should qualify for the Men's basketball.

Having both Australia and Macedonia competing in the same competition, that will be a first for me I think.

• 4 weeks later...

bad luck boomers! Out of all the things to happen in that last 30 seconds to get a kickball was just unlucky.

Man how bad were the men's 4x100 Freestyle Relay team? Choked big time. were going good in the rowing though,

it'll probably make up for all the medals we'll miss out on in the pool

China & North Korea beastmoding it. Thats what happens when they dont have to put up the charade of not being on performance enhancing drugs like all the other competitors have too, allowing them greater flexibility and the ability to get on more effective drugs and only having to concern themselves with masking them for the official tests.

Got a tally for the amount of times a losing Aussie 'hero' uses 'Disbelief' after missing out on Gold.

Sitting on 9 thus far.

Also close to this to this number for everytime the commentators say "She/he has put so much work into this one race, they must be so dissapointed".