Melbourne Football

And so it begins, the merger of Australia & NZ

Tesla

Step 1, create a customs union between Australia & NZ http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/economics/tasman-customs-union-considered-by-review-commission/story-e6frg926-1226399200285]

Then comes the economic union, and the same currency, and then "oh we might as well merge countries".

I, for one, welcome our future dominance of rugby, return to dominance in cricket, and slight improvment in football, once we merge.

In b4 Woody is mad.

In b4 the customs union starts in 2015 like the Eurasian, Gulf Arab, & North American unions. Who knows what shit they have planned for 2014.

Hopefully we learn from the shambles of the EU and don't go through with anything else than a customs union

Could only happen if we use a single currency but we aren't one country.

That's why we don't have postcodes 1***. They've always been reserved for NZ.

Nope, they are reserved for NSW. We also have 8xxx reserved for Victoria, for example, even though I have only seen 3xxx in use.

I, for one, welcome our future dominance of rugby, return to dominance in cricket, and slight improvment in football, once we merge.

In b4 Woody is mad.

Inafter all of the above is incorrect.

* No Aussie would get a gig in the 'combined' XV

* NZ cricket is shit

* Socceroo's starting X1 would be 'combined' XI, maybe with addition of Smeltz off the bench.

Why would I be mad anyway? Only makes sense ;)

* No Aussie would get a gig in the 'combined' XV

Absolute bullshit mate and you know it!

Nathan Sharpe, Will Genia, Berrick Barnes, Quade Cooper, Digby Ioane, Pat McCabe, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Kurtley Beale would all push for a spot. I'm not saying the All-Blacks don't have SOME better players but they would not sneeze at a Magnet board with some of those names.

• Like 1

Nathan Sharpe - Joke or serious? Can't tell. Our lock stocks range from 18 to 30 odd, wouldn't get a gig.

Will Genia - Concede on this one. Beats any half back we have

Berrick Barnes - Obviously wouldn't get a gig at first five with Carter playing 80 and our centres and looser backs are better.

Quade Cooper - Can play for us, can't though. NZRFU aren't that dumb.

Digby Ioane - Pacey enough, but if players like Gear and Fruean miss out when they are cut from finer molds, can't see him getting close.

The final 3 - Not being facetious, but with loose backs coming out of our anal cavity almost on the daily, couldn't see these guys getting anywhere near the aforementioned magnet board.

If any Kiwi made the Combined XI 'A' team it would be a disgrace, bar Vettori and Taylor and possibly McCullum

That's a third of a side there for you already.

TBH if WA had became its own country they would have had generally stronger Cricket sides than NZ over the past 50 years.

• Like 2

What all of you seem to not realise is that Cricket is held in the same regard as tiddly winks across the ditch. Summer is spent waiting for winters fixture to come out and crate days.

Because NZ is shit at it.

I agree though. My NZ experience(been there 20 odd times) has been:

All Blacks

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

Super Rugby

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

Every thing else. (NPC, Cricket, Horse Racing etc)

Edited by Braveheart

NSW has a higher population than VIC fwiw, and they are rugby mad up there. If I read your post correctly, your argument is invalid.

First off you are talking about League which is the more popular of the two codes in NSW.

Also people are not particularly mad about any sport in NSW in a comparable way to the Kiwi’s are about Rugby Union (Which is on par with our own state’s level of madness for AFL).

In the places where anything comparable to such madness does exist in NSW its usually for League, such as in Newcastle (Greater Hunter Area), Wollongong and parts of Western Sydney.

The people that are into Rugby Union in Sydney are those who usually attended Private Schools from around the North Shore and Northern Beaches and I can tell you that as supporters a lot of these people actually care more their old School’s winning Grudge Matches than any Waratahs or Wallabies game.

McCullum wouldn't get a gig in the Combined XI but I would put him as reserve keeper in front of Haddin.

I'm thinking you would have T.Paine in, right? Agree wholeheartedly there and McCullum is before Haddin.

Vettori is ageing (33 now) so I doubt he would be in the 1st XI aswell, especially with a younger generation of players coming through.

A finger-spinner who has taken 300+ wickets, 4000 odd test runs and a genuine all-rounder. Who would take his spot? nathan 'the groundskeeper' lyon? David 'the selectors hate me' Hussey? Cameron 'the spastic' White?

Vettori would strole in.

Edited by Braveheart

This supposed "Political" conversation has somewhat predictably ended up discussing sport...

However I reckon despite the politics, NZ and Australia would most likely always have separate National Sporting Sides in the sports people care about like how England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland (IRE in RU) do in Soccer and Rugby Union.

Edited by cadete

• 4 weeks later...