Melbourne Football

Munro off Heart's list

heart_fan10

MELBOURNE Heart directors will meet tomorrow to ratify decisions on who will be John Aloisi's assistant and who will take charge of the club's youth team following the managerial shake-up at the club after the departures of John Van 't Schip and Ante Milicic.

But Perth Glory assistant Stuart Munro, who was one of the frontrunners to be Aloisi's No. 2, has pulled out of the race.

Glory had been pressuring the Scot to make a decision on whether he was returning to his Melbourne base, but Heart had not been able to give him a decision in time.

So it now looks like a race between Perth-based Kenny Lowe, a former assistant at Glory, and Joe Mullen, the former Adelaide United youth coach who was a teammate of Aloisi's when the ex-Socceroo was a youngster at Adelaide City.

Hayden Foxe, a former Socceroo and West Ham United defender, is set to replace Aloisi as youth team coach.

The centre back endured an injury-plagued career but was highly regarded for his technical ability. He also played in Holland and Japan.

Read more: http://www.theage.co...l#ixzz1y3pbWRMZ

Edited by heart_fan10

As I said in the thread re:Milicic. We look like an amateur league club. If this is the clubs idea of succession planning, it is very poor indeed. Perhaps we could rename ourselves MHBC - Melbourne Heart Beggers Club. I would have expected that the club would have decided before breaking the news to Ante who they had in mind.

As it is we may well get good people in, but are they the people we wanted or the people we need? Do they fit the mould of the stylish football, internal development/promotion model the club has been shouting about as it's point of difference?

V*****y throw money at everyone elses success to bring them to Melbourne (Rojas, Ange etc.). Whilst I don't like this approach, I don't think we should be leaving ourselves open to pick up stragglers. Rather we should target those who we want to do the job we need them to do and be sensible as to who we upset and let go. If we don't look after coaches/players, our club will be nothing but a stepping stone for the self interests of those who work for and are a part of our club. After all, if we don't show loyality to players and coaches (and also members) why would we expect loyalty to be shown towards our club?

no no no no. Perth Glory want to keep their assistant who is going for an identical job at a rival team. They know the rival team are interviewing other candidates and that a decision is not likely until x date. So they pressure their assistant (Munro) and tell him that he either commits to his current job or he quits and continues to seek other employment. Munro sees this as a gamble, either i have guaranteed stability or i quit for a chance to move my career in a sideways direction. So obviously he chooses to stay at Perth. It's shrewd business by Perth imo. For Heart to offer him the job without completing the process would have been bad business on our behalf.

keep calm and carry on

• Like 4

I would far prefer Kenny Lowe over Munro regardless. He fits in perfectly with the Heart philosophy whether he can translate his excellent youth development skills to senior football is the main question that would be asked I would imagine and has also sent his teams out to play a positive brand of football.

• Like 1

no no no no. Perth Glory want to keep their assistant who is going for an identical job at a rival team. They know the rival team are interviewing other candidates and that a decision is not likely until x date. So they pressure their assistant (Munro) and tell him that he either commits to his current job or he quits and continues to seek other employment. Munro sees this as a gamble, either i have guaranteed stability or i quit for a chance to move my career in a sideways direction. So obviously he chooses to stay at Perth. It's shrewd business by Perth imo. For Heart to offer him the job without completing the process would have been bad business on our behalf.

keep calm and carry on

Nash Equilibirum 101 - has no real incentive to deviate (leave Perth) so why would he? Which is a shame, having experienced him personally I think he's an excellent coach and would have really benefitted us.

A short list of Mullen or Lowe gives us 2 good choices and shows that the club's selection criteria and processes are sound. The fact that there's been silence from the club for several months raises some anxiety in us but I'm more confident from the nature of this short list that all is on track. Players like Karagounis won't make any commitments until after the Euros anyway. Hayden Foxe is an astute choice for NYL Coach, if he'd had less bad luck with injuries he could have had a stellar playing career.

As it is we may well get good people in, but are they the people we wanted or the people we need? Do they fit the mould of the stylish football, internal development/promotion model the club has been shouting about as it's point of difference?

V*****y throw money at everyone elses success to bring them to Melbourne (Rojas, Ange etc.). Whilst I don't like this approach, I don't think we should be leaving ourselves open to pick up stragglers. Rather we should target those who we want to do the job we need them to do and be sensible as to who we upset and let go.

I tend to agree that we look too passive. For an assistant to Aloisi, I think we should have in mind exactly what we're looking for - experience, track record of success, tactical prowess, whatever - find the person who fits the bill closest, and go after them. And we should've been thinking about it back when we decided on Aloisi.

In contrast, it looks like we've announced that there's a position, seen who's applied, and gone through the normal process. That's ok for filling an office position, but the assistant will be one of the 3 or 4 most important people employed by the club. With a rookie coach, it's really important we get it right. I don't know about Munro or any of the other candidates, but if he was the guy that most closely resembled who we need, they should've put process to the side and made more of an effort to get him. Anyway, this is just the impression I'm getting, without being close to the situation.

• Like 1