Melbourne Football

Yarraside Knowledge Bank

AyeCee

TBH knowing someone who can set you up with someone they know who will let you do Work Experience in the field you need it in... that's what I did so I had Political Work Experience on my Resume which helped me to get a job in that field.

Yeah, there's a few paths I could pursue in an attempt to get some basic work experience, which I'll be looking into. The issue is that my contacts are at large firms with extensive development programs, so I'm not confident that they will accept work experience positions on top of the formal student positions. No harm in asking though.

Cadetships, is it worth extending the length of a degree in order to participate in one? They seem like a good program, but it's a lot of commitment when compared to an internship.

If not, what other options are available for someone not ready for an internship, but still wanting to get experience whilst studying?

Yes they are.

Second question, dunno. Depends on field I guess, as in some there isn't much else on offer apart from formal programs like internship. 

Im currently doing something similar.

Essentially its a full time job with a school base to it. ie I still have 38 hour weeks but take two subjects a semester instead of four. Essentially I work 3 1/2 days a week in-semester whilst studying the other day and a half, and then revert to full time when in 'holidays'.

Would definately recommend, it helps with passing the courses too.

• Like 1

Yes they are.

Second question, dunno. Depends on field I guess, as in some there isn't much else on offer apart from formal programs like internship. 

Similar stuff to what you would be looking at, finance, economics, etc. Would possibly even give accounting a crack, would help me more than sitting at home on the holidays.

Im currently doing something similar.

Essentially its a full time job with a school base to it. ie I still have 38 hour weeks but take two subjects a semester instead of four. Essentially I work 3 1/2 days a week in-semester whilst studying the other day and a half, and then revert to full time when in 'holidays'.

Would definately recommend, it helps with passing the courses too.

My only concern is that I want to finish my education ASAP, but it is a decent approach. 

When did you apply? First year uni?

I applied for the position as advertised by a local accounting firm. Apparently quite a few do it because they can get a few years out of employees at a cheaper trainee rate before they become qualified. Bit of a win-win really.

I had zero qualifications at the time. Started about 2 years ago in my mid twenties.

Due to my elective phases being knocked out of the degree cos of a prior course I did I now have about 2 years left to complete. All whilst earning slightly more than the job I left. Good result for me, still not sure if I'll stay in the game once I finish but either way its a ticket on the resume and invaluable life experience.

Also, some employers are flexible in terms of how many courses you take, so theres some possibility you can take more on at a lesser but reasonable wage etc

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

Similar stuff to what you would be looking at, finance, economics, etc. Would possibly even give accounting a crack, would help me more than sitting at home on the holidays.

My only concern is that I want to finish my education ASAP, but it is a decent approach. 

When did you apply? First year uni?

TBH I dont know of any other country where degrees are of as little value to job prospects as this country, because it's so easy to get them in Australia compared to other places in the world, I'm guessing probably only parts of Europe would be similar (eg scandanavia and other well off left leaning countries). Hence why there is a clear oversupply of uni grads in every field looking for jobs, while there is a clear under supply of people doing trades.

Anyway, that's off topic a bit, but basically getting experience is much more important than your degree, so if you can get a cadetship or any other type of relevant experience you shouldn't hesitate to take it even if it delays you finishing your education. There are some disadvantages to a cadetship, in that you will still be a cadet while people starting uni the same time as you will enter grad positions, but once you have a cadetship you're basically set whereas going the grad route there are no guarantees you will get anything.

A good cadetship and you have no stress, just go to work and go to uni, you dont even need to give a fuck about your grades, just pass. You should be able to continue at the same firm at the end of uni, or go to something/somewhere better.

You also get to start your life given you're earning a proper salary, rather than being a poverty student.

From what I know, there isn't much in the way of cadetships in finance or economics, it's more an accounting thing.

Internships are good too, and won't delay your studies, but if you can get a cadetship you should rather than thinking you'll get an intership later.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Who is the best divorce lawyer firm to buy shares in?

Law firms are generally not going to publicly traded.

Instead, you can invest with Tesla Enterprises Pty Ltd as they seek to raise $5m capital to launch a new, secure, website for facilitating extramarital affairs.

Seriously though, whoever came up with the idea of hacking Ashley Madison is a genius troll.

So many people are now going to have their  life destroyed, not too mention surely Ashley Madison is ruined and no one will ever trust them again.

11/10 trolling.

Also LOL @ the dumbasses using their government emails for this shit, first ones everyone is going to look at. 

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

Seriously though, whoever came up with the idea of hacking Ashley Madison is a genius troll.

So many people are now going to have their  life destroyed, not too mention surely Ashley Madison is ruined and no one will ever trust them again.

11/10 trolling.

Also LOL @ the dumbasses using their government emails for this shit, first ones everyone is going to look at. 

I doubt the fallout will be as bad as expected. I assume most people who do not want to get caught would have used prepaid credit cards to sign up (so it doesn't show on there usual statements) and would sign up using a fake name.

• Like 1

Knowledge bank.

Recently had the opportunity for an apartment in West Melbourne. Having never spent any time around that area, what are my chances of getting stabbed if I move in?

Stabbed by who? Doubt the lentil eating hipsters in the area even have enough strength to hold up a knife let alone use it.

Just try not to enthuse about your love for freeways too much and you should be fine.

Edited by Tesla

Stabbed by who? Doubt the lentil eating hipsters in the area even have enough strength to hold up a knife let alone use it.

Just try not to enthuse about your love for freeways too much and you should be fine.

Seriously mate have you even ever spent longer than twenty minutes outside of "Outer Western Suburban Fortress of Solitude and Awesomeness" and on the other side of Bell Street because your descriptions of Inner City Life and Hipsters are really becoming more and more comical in their inaccuracy?

Seriously mate have you even ever spent longer than twenty minutes outside of "Outer Western Suburban Fortress of Solitude and Awesomeness" and on the other side of Bell Street because your descriptions of Inner City Life and Hipsters are really becoming more and more comical in their inaccuracy?

No need to get so defensive mate, we all remember you were a founding member of the Supras and so of course your loyalty lies with your fellow inner city hipster lefties :up: 

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

No need to get so defensive mate, we all remember you were a founding member of the Supras and so of course your loyalty lies with your fellow inner city hipster lefties :up: 

None of those guys were Inner City Lefties... 

Your above quotes illustrates the whole problem with your constant posts about "Hipsters" you have no idea who they are as you have never meet one and as some who lives amongst, hangs out, eats lentils and even dates these PPL occasionally that's why I find your countless "Hipster/Lefties/Lentil Eaters" Posts so annoying.

But more to the point your way of writing off an entire whole large subsection of PPL your age (As you definition of a Hipster is so loose it would basically include at least half the people I fucken know) it is just a really plain fucken boring of both commenting and interacting with the society IMO.

Edited by cadete

None of those guys were Inner City Lefties... 

Your above quotes illustrates the whole problem with your constant posts about "Hipsters" you have no idea who they are as you have never meet one and as some who lives amongst, hangs out, eats lentils and even dates these PPL occasionally that's why I find your countless "Hipster/Lefties/Lentil Eaters" Posts so annoying.

But more to the point your way of writing off an entire whole large subsection of PPL your age (As you definition of a Hipster is so loose it would basically include at least half the people I fucken know) it is just a really plain fucken boring of both commenting and interacting with the society IMO.

I was using the stereotype of someone from the inner city to make the point that West Melbourne is pretty much just another inner city suburb. It doesn't mean I think everyone living in the inner city fits that stereotype.

I was using the stereotype of someone from the inner city to make the point that West Melbourne is pretty much just another inner city suburb. It doesn't mean I think everyone living in the inner city fits that stereotype.

LOL - Your uneducated critique of Hipster Phaggots (Your words - Your Spelling) is endless.

Edited by cadete

• 2 months later...

http://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/police-investigate-dramatic-shooting-incident-on-eastlink/story-fny0rl6i-1227604829879?utm_content=SocialFlow&utm_campaign=EditorialSF&utm_source=News.com.au&utm_medium=Facebook

Hasn't the officer done the wrong thing here (possibly broken the law? Or at least should be fired or something?)

He shot the gun after the guy tried to run him over, in retaliation, when no one's life was directly in danger? I thought the law was they can only shoot someone if theirs or others lives are in danger?

51 minutes ago, Tesla said:

http://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/police-investigate-dramatic-shooting-incident-on-eastlink/story-fny0rl6i-1227604829879?utm_content=SocialFlow&utm_campaign=EditorialSF&utm_source=News.com.au&utm_medium=Facebook

Hasn't the officer done the wrong thing here (possibly broken the law? Or at least should be fired or something?)

He shot the gun after the guy tried to run him over, in retaliation, when no one's life was directly in danger? I thought the law was they can only shoot someone if theirs or others lives are in danger?

How would you define lives being in danger? I would have thought driving a car directly at someone is pretty life endangering. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy said:

How would you define lives being in danger? I would have thought driving a car directly at someone is pretty life endangering. 

Yeah, if he fired before, not after, or as they put it "during" which most likely means after.

Just now, Tesla said:

Yeah, if he fired before, not after, or as they put it "during" which most likely means after.

Fair point, I haven't read anything other than skimming over your article but who's to say other people weren't in immediate danger? He's just had a swipe at a cop and there's probably more around him, blokes obviously a loose cannon if he's doing that, who's to say he's not about to run down another cop or pedestrian?

Not that I'm saying he was in the right/wrong as I don't know anything about what happened but if police can't shoot at someone trying to run them over then who can they shoot at?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Fair point, I haven't read anything other than skimming over your article but who's to say other people weren't in immediate danger? He's just had a swipe at a cop and there's probably more around him, blokes obviously a loose cannon if he's doing that, who's to say he's not about to run down another cop or pedestrian?

Not that I'm saying he was in the right/wrong as I don't know anything about what happened but if police can't shoot at someone trying to run them over then who can they shoot at?

Well that's what I was asking isn't it?

I was just saying it doesnt seem right to me, not sure if he is actually allowed to shoot.

6 hours ago, Tesla said:

Well that's what I was asking isn't it?

I was just saying it doesnt seem right to me, not sure if he is actually allowed to shoot.

This was my first thought as well. The police officer answering questions seemed to be purposefully vague on the timing and the articles seem to be lacking details.

6 hours ago, Tesla said:

“He pointed at the guy, as he pointed, the (driver of the black car) turned the car wheel ... and took the copper out and hit him ... he went over the safety median wires.

At the same time the policeman drew his gun and fired into the car.

It seems a number of things happened between the cop pointing at the driver to him going over the median wires. The question is at what point during this did the cop shoot. 

18 minutes ago, n i k o said:

“He pointed at the guy, as he pointed, the (driver of the black car) turned the car wheel ... and took the copper out and hit him ... he went over the safety median wires.

At the same time the policeman drew his gun and fired into the car.

It seems a number of things happened between the cop pointing at the driver to him going over the median wires. The question is at what point during this did the cop shoot. 

The 'at the same time' seems very dodgy to me TBH, I doubt he actually shot at him at the same time as he was being hit by the car, and if so that seems retarded he could have ended up shooting in any direction. I'd put my money on him shooting after he got hit.

24 minutes ago, Tesla said:

The 'at the same time' seems very dodgy to me TBH, I doubt he actually shot at him at the same time as he was being hit by the car, and if so that seems retarded he could have ended up shooting in any direction. I'd put my money on him shooting after he got hit.

I agree it is does sound dodgy but see it slightly differently. To me it seems the most likely time the cop would shoot would be before he got hit when he sensed his safety would be in danger. Not saying it didn't happen after but that just seems the most likely assumption to make. The problem is the report doesn't clarify 'when' the cop took the shot and so makes the cops actions questionable. 

Edited by n i k o

Just found this:

Witnesses said the police officer’s gun went off just before he bounced up the bonnet and into the windscreen, finally falling on to the road.

Apparently:

Victoria Police professional standards command is investigating the incident.

Edited by n i k o

• 1 month later...

How long do people reckon it takes to pick up driving manual after only driving auto? Struggling to find an auto car to rent and i've driven manual a couple of times before. in my head it seems pretty simple, just get on the clutch and change gears when you need to, but i've probably forgotten that its a bit more complex than that...

Basically, do people think i can pick it up instantly or is it something that takes a few days/weeks?

4 minutes ago, Tesla said:

How long do people reckon it takes to pick up driving manual after only driving auto? Struggling to find an auto car to rent and i've driven manual a couple of times before. in my head it seems pretty simple, just get on the clutch and change gears when you need to, but i've probably forgotten that its a bit more complex than that...

Basically, do people think i can pick it up instantly or is it something that takes a few days/weeks?

If you're committed, the first few days will be tough but if you push through and arent retarded (you strike me as someone who would manage) then a couple weeks to be fully comeptent.