Melbourne Football

Yarraside Knowledge Bank

AyeCee

Fish oil vs Krill oil?

I take 6 fish oil capsules a day. Dont know much about this Krill oil.

I heard the benefits from either were bogus anyway.

Nope, plenty of research backing fish oil. Plus its cheap as phuck anyway.

was given a topic for my english essay on To Kill A Mockingbird.

here it is. “To Kill a Mockingbird” is about prejudice and ignorance, but it is also about wisdom and compassion. Discuss.

help. quick.

any pointers will do.

I only ever read one book,

To Kill A Mockingbird

, and it gave me absolutely no insight on how to kill mockingbirds! Sure it taught me not to judge a man by the color of his skin . . . but what good does that do me?

• Like 1

I only ever read one book,

To Kill A Mockingbird

, and it gave me absolutely no insight on how to kill mockingbirds! Sure it taught me not to judge a man by the color of his skin . . . but what good does that do me?

aahahhaha. cant believe i have to do this stupid essay FFS.

Any computer science or programmers or math students/professionals etc. here?

I have whats basically an interesting math problem that needs solving, not sure if worth asking here though.

Go on.

Not that confident if you couldn't work it out yourself though. Duchess does something to do with programming iirc though so he might be able to help more than me.

OK well, for you, the simplified problem would be

if I have a random integer between 1 and 2^x (where x is a positive non-zero integer that can be as high or low as necessary) how can I turn that random integer in to an integer between a specified minimum and maximum value, while maintaining randomness.

For Brendan or anyone else that is on dat programming time, see here for full problem http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10896997/how-to-get-integer-between-two-values-from-stream-of-bits

My solution is the 2nd/last answer there, I just dont think its efficient enough as I state there.

Edited by Tesla

• 1 month later...

Quick legal question.

I have studied basic contract law but I have forgotten most of it so just a quick question on that.

An agreement on paper in plain english with signatures would count as a contract right, even if it isnt formally done at this stage. IIRC as long as there is consideration from both side (eg both are getting something) its all good, amiright?

Why do both sides need to be getting something out of it?

Just how the law is, I'm pretty sure of that part just not sure if there are any other requirements for it to be legally enforceable.

Sidenote, I think if you have a formal contract with a seal on it then you dont need consideration.

if both are signing it, then i dare say both are agreeing to get what they want. it can be written on a napkin if need be, as long as both parties sign and are willing to stick by it, then its a legal binding document.

Yeah I know it can be in any form (even verbal as long as it can be proved) but just making sure there arent any other requirements.

Btw, whats stopping someone from being like 'oh that isnt my signature'?

Also anything that will make it more solid? witnesses? etc.

Edited by Tesla

Quick legal question.

I have studied basic contract law but I have forgotten most of it so just a quick question on that.

An agreement on paper in plain english with signatures would count as a contract right, even if it isnt formally done at this stage. IIRC as long as there is consideration from both side (eg both are getting something) its all good, amiright?

Pretty much, yeah. So long as it satisifies the key parts of a contract, ie You have promised something on specific terms, promisee agrees to it on said terms, and the contract is complete and clear then you have a contract, so long as you have adequate consideration / you don't revoke it.

Something to make it more solid: Having an express intention to create legal relations as a clause of the contract.

The old "oh that isn't my signature" is a pretty useless argument in a court of Law, i can't recall reading any case were that argument was found to be compelling, but having witnesses would definitely help.

Weeew contracts.

Edited by Che

Would like to know the answer, also.

But I think the usual way is to go working in pubs/hotles for a small amount of pay with accom/meals covered, moving from city to city as you go, etc.

Edit: Thanks BH, really interesting.

Edited by LR9

• 2 weeks later...

question i'd love to have answered and have wanted it resolved for a while:

let's say me and 3 mates are walking down the street and we get approached by a gentleman around 20. he demands we hand over phones and we belt him - are we in any significant legal trouble?

The footage is of a minor commiting a sex act.

I am 99% sure that it's illegal.

Cool, I figured it was something complex like this and completely situational. I asked as I was wondering if professional athletes could be charged for assault when they deck another player.

In short, the answer to whether a professional athlete can be charged for assault for decking another player, is yes. There's at least one precendent in Australian sport - Leigh Matthews was convicted of decking Neville Bruns of Geelong during a VFL match is mid-80's. To this day, he has a criminal record.

• Like 1

question i'd love to have answered and have wanted it resolved for a while:

let's say me and 3 mates are walking down the street and we get approached by a gentleman around 20. he demands we hand over phones and we belt him - are we in any significant legal trouble?

tomorrow's headline: "4 youths bash helpless 20 year old"

seriously i'd say you are as you can't really call self defense cause all he has done is tell you to give your phones

• Like 1

Another law relatedish one:

If I was to leave the country after obtaining my degree, and never pay back my HECS, would they send people over to arrest me, or do I just have to make sure I never return to Australia?

The short answer is no. You need to be earning a taxable income in Australia. Although the Federal Government have changed tax laws relating to repayment of HECS over the past 12-18mths. In the past, if you were negatively gearing any assets and were claiming money from the tax office, certain income wasn't considered taxable, and HECS wasn't levied. Now, the Government wised up, and even if you can legally claim deductions, the Government will deem certain deductions still as income, and they recover larger amounts of HECS.

The moral of the story is.....either don't work in Australia, or get a very good accountant and have loads and loads of deductions to offset tax you pay.

• Like 1

Would take someone with major retardation to think the legal system is flawless.

Example A: Breivik murders 78* people in a premeditated, politically motivated killing spree - but only received 21 years in prison with a minimum 10 years. How is consistent with the rest of the world, where you would in some places face the firing squad for one murder, and in other places a life sentence for every murder?

Beyond fucked up. The thing that shocked me the most was that the relatives of the victims where reported to have been happy and 'relieved' with the punishment? Could someone who has followed the happenings closer than I explain how he was in essence 'let off' for his crime? For fuck sake - the guy has more priviledges in a Norweigan cell than someone convicted of low level drug trafficking in an Aussie boob.

If I was a relo of a victim - I wouldn't be happy unless he faced water boarding 23hrs a day for the rest of his unworthy life.

For fuck sake - the guy has more priviledges in a Norweigan cell than someone convicted of low level drug trafficking in an Aussie boob.

plain fucked up. prison is meant to be harsh ffs, not a 5 star resort.

another question: if some paedophile tries to grab one of my mates, and we kick the shit out of him - any significant legal trouble?

Edited by macrrii

Struggle to see any of the positives in that Tesla, you being sarcastic?

America's gun laws create 1,000's of problems to 1 problem solved. Kind of glad how strict aus govt is on guns, just a shame that so many people had to die for it to happen. Imagine suburbs like Dandenong/Sunshine/ if guns were more readily available..