Melbourne Football

Matchday 7: v WSW - Friday 22nd November 7:30 pm at Bankwest Stadium

Harrison

What a huge result. Maclaren is the best player in the league and it’s not even close. Wales was (as I expected) far better off the bench against tired legs than starting, great fight back from the lads. Defence is still a big concern, but the attitude to come back and win that is huge. 4 points clear on top. What a way to start the weekend :wub:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, rass said:

Big, big win thoroughly deserved. 

Lol reading the earlier posts, classic forum.

Honestly, sometimes I despair!

WSW scoring early set the scene. They dominated for the first 15 but we slowly worked into the game and were soon on top, with WSW keen to get their entire side back and defend in numbers. 
Their packed defence made good opportunities rare and it seemed we’d have to graft a chance. 
Then the big moment. Georgevski holds Genreau back in the box and a penalty is awarded and converted. No doubt it’s a foul, but one refs seem to ignore regularly. Anyway I’m calling it karma for last weeks 2.

Once that happened WSW felt a draw wasn’t enough and they moved their bus and thus the game opened up. The addition of Wales proved crucial as he was involved in both subsequent goals, whilst in form striker Jamie MacLaren showed he was the most valuable player in the league. Topping off a lethal display with a classy finish from a difficult position.

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Honestly, sometimes I despair!

WSW scoring early set the scene. They dominated for the first 15 but we slowly worked into the game and were soon on top, with WSW keen to get their entire side back and defend in numbers. 
Their packed defence made good opportunities rare and it seemed we’d have to graft a chance. 
Then the big moment. Georgevski holds Genreau back in the box and a penalty is awarded and converted. No doubt it’s a foul, but one refs seem to ignore regularly. Anyway I’m calling it karma for last weeks 2.

Once that happened WSW felt a draw wasn’t enough and they moved their bus and thus the game opened up. The addition of Wales proved crucial as he was involved in both subsequent goals, whilst in form striker Jamie MacLaren showed he was the most valuable player in the league. Topping off a lethal display with a classy finish from a difficult position.

Exactly what happened.

• Thanks 1

A very very important win. Now, I believe.

Positives:

We've rarely won away after an away loss. I won't say never, but it isn't a 'feature' of our mentality

Good tactical adjustment by Le Patron to open the channels that WSW had closed so effectively in the first half

Good to see the team not drop their heads after conceding a dumb goal within a minute of the start

Stuck to the game plan and we remained patient

Maclaren's finishing, Brilliante's passing

We won!

Negatives:

Sloppy goal to concede so early

Jamieson really doesn't understand his role as an inverted FB and is often poorly positioned in transition moments

Every single player on the park watching the ball except Schwegler. Hands all over Genreau as he tries to make his run. More of these should be given to cut out all the shirt grabbing and wrestling from defenders.

Edit: top pic you'll notice Beath looking directly at the incident. 

S91122-224519(1).jpg

S91122-223234(1).jpg

Edited by mus-28
  • Like 5

48 minutes ago, neio said:

I know it's a running joke, but Bouzanis distribution was superb tonight. Some of the long balls he hit that landed right on the spot were great. When he is kicking it like that there isn't a keeper in the league that does it as well as he can 

Yeah that's because all the other keepers are busy making saves than worrying about distribution! He is such a liability....

43 minutes ago, haz said:

If anyone was an idiot like me and decided to drive home with 30 mins to go, here are the extended highlights

https://www.a-league.com.au/match/western-sydney-wanderers-fc-v-melbourne-city-fc-a-league-22-11-2019/2023977

So we've now beaten our previous best of 3 weeks consecutively on top of the ladder.

What minute was bouzanis’s world class save?

11 hours ago, Mr MO said:

It sure was! Just rewind and look Genrau’s run in the box 

Since two seasons ago there is stronger punishment for holding in the box.

Yes, the foul occurred earlier than the 'spectacular' backwards leap that had minimal contact. The problem is that it was technically correct but most refs other than Chris Beath wouldn't have paid it. VAR can only overrule a clear and obvious error, not Chris Beath's pedantry

10 hours ago, neio said:

I know it's a running joke, but Bouzanis distribution was superb tonight. Some of the long balls he hit that landed right on the spot were great. When he is kicking it like that there isn't a keeper in the league that does it as well as he can 

Yes, a very unusually solid game from him. I'm mumbling it through gritted teeth but he commanded his box tonight.

For once.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, citypool said:

What minute was bouzanis’s world class save?

I don’t recall any extraordinary world class stuff but he made some decent saves, no more ball watching and the ball seemed to stick to his gloves for once. Was just reliable with good distribution, hope he continues this.

Just now, belaguttman said:

Jamieson's positioning is an ongoing concern. I'm happy with the idea and role of the inverted FB, I just don't think that he reads the game well enough to be well positioned. It then pulls the whole defensive line out of shape

Precisely - esp with a pacey attack. I thought both teams made a game of it in different periods. Wish I was there!

5 hours ago, Originalmeme said:

seems the cbs cannot handle pace like yeboah.  same with toure in the ffa cup final.  takes either someone like bart to run with them or someone with great game sense and reading of the game to beat the striker or shut them down. think bintickler must be a shoe in when hes fit

We seem to struggle particularly with younger, dynamic and unpredictable younger talented forwards - Toure, Yeboah and also Holloway played their best games against us. Delbridge and Jamieson seem to struggle most to a lesser extend Good and Galloway.

But as long as we out score the opponent I’m happy!

47 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Jamieson's positioning is an ongoing concern. I'm happy with the idea and role of the inverted FB, I just don't think that he reads the game well enough to be well positioned. It then pulls the whole defensive line out of shape

I’m getting more upset about Jamo’s basic skills such as ball control, passing and crossing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr MO said:

We seem to struggle particularly with younger, dynamic and unpredictable younger talented forwards - Toure, Yeboah and also Holloway played their best games against us. Delbridge and Jamieson seem to struggle most to a lesser extend Good and Galloway.

But as long as we out score the opponent I’m happy!

Jamieson is the weakest link.  He exposes Delbridge time and and time again because Delbridge has to cover for him.  Didn't Delbridge get the yellow making up for Jamieson losing it?  And when Yeboah skinned Delbridge he came from Jamiesons side.  Every club attacks Jamieson because they know he's the weakest of the back four.

I like the way our CB's are working together. Delbridge in particular is a tower of strength in the air. Both he and Goode also have been driving through the middle and starting some of our most promising moves.

14 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

Jamieson is the weakest link.  He exposes Delbridge time and and time again because Delbridge has to cover for him.  Didn't Delbridge get the yellow making up for Jamieson losing it?  And when Yeboah skinned Delbridge he came from Jamiesons side.  Every club attacks Jamieson because they know he's the weakest of the back four.

I like the way our CB's are working together. Delbridge in particular is a tower of strength in the air. Both he and Goode also have been driving through the middle and starting some of our most promising moves.

Isn’t Delbridge our right CB? Jamieson and Good play on the same side. But you are right as mentioned before it just occurred to me seem concede only from the left.

I see the Delbridge struggles against dynamic players seperate from the Jamieson discussion to be honest, can’t blame everything on Jamieson!

Edited by Mr MO

2 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

like the way our CB's are working together. Delbridge in particular is a tower of strength in the air. Both he and Goode also have been driving through the middle and starting some of our most promising moves.

Yes, this is a new element of our attacking transition that makes us unpredictable and pulls defences out of shape

53 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Both our fullbacks were too narrow whenever Wanderers attacked. But it’s more to do with poor positioning by losing concentration and sheer laziness rather than the inverted tactic, although this obviously contributes to their starting position when we begin our defensive transition. The fullback needs to quickly drop diagonally and track any runner when we lose possession because he tucks in only while we are building up from the back. As soon as that defensive transition begins he should be tracking the winger. Are we expecting too much from A-League quality fullbacks? Maybe. 

Regardless of this particular tactic, we can definitely improve our defence. Windbichler probably starts. I can see both Berenguer and Metcalfe coming back into the midfield when they’re both fit. Gives us a better balance and stronger retention of possession in the midfield, which protects the defence. Wales will probably start now that he’s beginning to sharpen up offensively and his pressing is very good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

Yes, the foul occurred earlier than the 'spectacular' backwards leap that had minimal contact. The problem is that it was technically correct but most refs other than Chris Beath wouldn't have paid it. VAR can only overrule a clear and obvious error, not Chris Beath's pedantry

I've watched the replay a few times now and it's very unclear which part the penalty is for. On the wide shot there is initial contact with Genreau as he approaches the penalty spot but it is very hard to determine if he is unfairly impeded from any of the footage provided. However when he jumps for the header he clearly has his shirt held (you can see his collar being pulled down to expose his chest) and considering his head only missed the perfect cross by about an inch you could argue he was pulled down enough to stop him being able to make contact with the ball. Whether or not he would of scored or even gotten high enough who knows, but to me while it seems a s soft penalty if you grab shirts in the penalty box like that then you put yourself at the mercy of the ref. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Aardvark said:

I've watched the replay a few times now and it's very unclear which part the penalty is for. On the wide shot there is initial contact with Genreau as he approaches the penalty spot but it is very hard to determine if he is unfairly impeded from any of the footage provided. However when he jumps for the header he clearly has his shirt held (you can see his collar being pulled down to expose his chest) and considering his head only missed the perfect cross by about an inch you could argue he was pulled down enough to stop him being able to make contact with the ball. Whether or not he would of scored or even gotten high enough who knows, but to me while it seems a s soft penalty if you grab shirts in the penalty box like that then you put yourself at the mercy of the ref. 

Don't think it's a soft penalty at all. If you allow that to go unpunished, then every defender will be holding on to a forward in the box and the game becomes a farce. Got to be a foul, and therefore got to be a penalty.

We beat them fair and square, and they have only themselves to blame. Maclaren was completely unmarked and alone for that third goal.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, The Aardvark said:

It could be for either part, or maybe both with a pedant like Chris Beath

22 minutes ago, The Aardvark said:

He was held all the way through his run towards goal, soft at the individual points in time but it seems accumulated. The ref had a different viewing angle and he seemed pretty adamant when he blew his whistle 

Edited by Mr MO