Melbourne Football

Matchday 7: v WSW - Friday 22nd November 7:30 pm at Bankwest Stadium

Harrison

It's getting to the stage that we ought to be able to sign an injury replacement player.

Florin has proved an absolute disaster as far as I am concerned. Barely made the grade last season - and some would say he never did -  and now injured. This is too repetitive with our overseas players to be just bad luck.

image.thumb.png.264b0b528b3564f2a8d0b0231f7cdb03.png

I was (and still am!) bored at work, so here's a plot of goals for (green dots) and goals against (red dots), on the left side of each of the two bars is the actual goals, while the right bar is the expected goals across the same period.

So Victory, after vastly out performing their expected goals last year are now hitting about what you'd expect.

Where Western Sydney and Adelaide are out performing their current expected goals this year - Sydney so far look an absolute class above the rest.

• Like 1

I think we're in a good spot here in that the Wanderers will go in favourites and should win with their superior homeground advantage and strong squad, so the pressure is off us to bounce back this week. 

Would honestly be content with a draw and even if we lose, it still isn't panic stations.

13 minutes ago, Nate said:

I think we're in a good spot here in that the Wanderers will go in favourites and should win with their superior homeground advantage and strong squad, so the pressure is off us to bounce back this week. 

Would honestly be content with a draw and even if we lose, it still isn't panic stations.

Any other season I'd agree. But being first requires different results, therefore different mentality. Sure it won't be panic stations but 2 losses on the road put serious concern on whether we are capable of becoming champions this season. 

• Thanks 1

My move would be out:

Luna*, Griffiths 

in: Metcalfe, Genreau 

plus possibly Wales for Cabbie.

* very worried. Can’t afford to pick a guy in midfield who is so little involved.

Wales would be for his defensive energy and ability to win corners which someone else then might score from. Defensive energy needed away from home. Not convinced on this move though, as not being able to pass or shoot is a problem.

Really looking forward to this, and with no little optimism.  I think we have what it takes. Be interested also to see what kind of impact RBB have at the new stadium.  

How many City fans will my teenage son and I be among? Average COYCB turnout for Sydney fixtures? Shamefully, this is my/our first ever away game in 8 years...... but no wonder...it's costing me a grand!

Edited by CityWildcat

14 hours ago, Shahanga said:

My move would be out:

Luna*, Griffiths 

in: Metcalfe, Genreau 

plus possibly Wales for Cabbie.

* very worried. Can’t afford to pick a guy in midfield who is so little involved.

Wales would be for his defensive energy and ability to win corners which someone else then might score from. Defensive energy needed away from home. Not convinced on this move though, as not being able to pass or shoot is a problem.

Cabbie played his best half for us and you wanna drop him for Wales yes faded in the second half but come on 

5 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Metcalfe in for Luna or Griffiths. Hard to see any other changes. Cabrera probably keeps his spot with two assists. 

I think prob unchanged with Metcalfe having had a pretty busy weekend with the Olyroos tbh, but if hes in good nick he obv plays a part. Luna the likely out for mine, but imo he was pretty good first half, like everyone else.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I think prob unchanged with Metcalfe having had a pretty busy weekend with the Olyroos tbh, but if hes in good nick he obv plays a part. Luna the likely out for mine, but imo he was pretty good first half, like everyone else.

I’m wondering how many minutes Metcalfe played. I think he played in the first match, so might’ve been rested for the second and then given minutes in the third. So maybe only off the bench. Genreau is another option to start.

Edit: He played against China and Korea, hopefully rested against Lithuania. 

Edited by Harrison
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Missing_Moy said:

Cabbie played his best half for us and you wanna drop him for Wales yes faded in the second half but come on 

I know what you’re saying, makes sense, but I wasn’t looking at it as “dropped” as more this one game we are going to need 11 guys defending with energy when we don’t have the ball.

Subbing Cabrera early second half (may not be fit enough for 90 A league style) may be a better option.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

If we want 11 guys defending then why we didn't keep Joyce. The forum wants defensive attractive football with youth players based on visa players with exciting guest players. 

There’s a difference between a half-baked defensive approach like Joyce’s where we dropped back with defensive players choking the midfield versus a high press for which you need quick, hard working forwards.

Just a pity Wales can’t shoot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Tom GLOVER, 2.Scott GALLOWAY, 3.Scott JAMIESON, 4.Harrison DELBRIDGE, 6.Josh BRILLANTE, 7.Rostyn GRIFFITHS, 8.Javier CABRERA, 9.Jamie MACLAREN, 10.Florin BERENGUER 11.Craig NOONE, 13.Nathaniel ATKINSON, 17.Denis GENREAU, 19.Lachlan WALES, 20.Adrian LUNA, 21.Ramy NAJJARINE, 22.Curtis GOOD, 23.Dean BOUZANIS, 30.Moudi NAJJAR, 39.Idrus ABDULAHI, 49.Stefan COLAKOVSKI

Ins: 1.Tom GLOVER (returns from international duty), 10.Florin BERENGUER (returns from injury), 21.Ramy NAJJARINE (returns from international duty), 39.Idrus ABDULAHI (promoted) 

Outs: 36.Kerrin STOKES (omitted), 46.Joe Gauci (omitted) 

Unavailable: 34.Connor METCALFE (hamstring), 40.Richard WINDBICHLER (hamstring)

I feel confident about this game, I don't think wsw are very good. Their win against sydney they should have had at least 3 goals scored against them

I'd be looking at giving Najjarine a start tonight, was player of tournament at under 23s so should be confident and will be up against wilmering, who is similar age and expirience 

40 minutes ago, neio said:

I feel confident about this game, I don't think wsw are very good. Their win against sydney they should have had at least 3 goals scored against them

I'd be looking at giving Najjarine a start tonight, was player of tournament at under 23s so should be confident and will be up against wilmering, who is similar age and expirience 

I've seen them three times this season so far and they haven't impressed me either. But these were all away from Parramatta. I suspect they are a different team at home.