Melbourne Football

Eli Babalj Appreciation..

Mozilla

has the same goals per game ratio as David Williams, who has probably had way more starts off the bench

overrated

According to my records:

David Williams 91* Games, 6108 Minutes, 21* Goals, 0.23 Goals/game, 287 minutes/ goal

Eli Babalj 44 Games, 2495 Minutes, 12 Goals, 0.27 Goals/game, 208 minutes/ goal

So Babalj has a significantly greater (about 25% better in fact) strike rate in terms of minutes/goal than Williams.

Incidentally in season 2 Babalj scored 9 goals (0.41/game, goal every 177 minutes) where as in season 4 Williams scored 12 goals (0.46/game, goal every 161 minutes) 

* club record holder

The club's highest strike rate (min 5 goals) is held by Orlando Engelaar (5 goals, 0.42/game, 158min/goal).  

• Like 1

you Are probably right. I didn't start collecting penalty info straight away.  not sure why you asked though.

Because there's surely a strong argument that comparison between strikers is not apples with apples if you include penalty goals? Deduct Williams' penalty goals and Babalj is the better striker.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

Becaaue there's surely a strong argument that comparison between strikers is not apples with apples if you include penalty goals? Deduct Williams' penalty goals and Babalj is the better striker.

But he asked me then pointed out I was wrong!  Now if you know the answer, why ask the question.........

Edited by Shahanga

Fair enough.  Incidentally I have 2 pens for Willo in 2013-2014 and 1 last year.  Don't have an easy way to check this though, apart from going through game by game and am not really motivated to do that, so there is no particular reason that I'm right and wiki is wrong.

Pretty sure Eli scored at least 1 himself, though like I said, I didn't keep records of it.  

Regardless I do rate Eli higher than Willo, though like most I am concerned by his abject failure in Europe and the use of time honoured excuses like "the coach who signed me left".  

Who cares if Eli is better than Willow as far as I am concerned that conversation is about the struggling Melbourne Heart and not the cashed up Melbourne City.

Melbourne Heart were killed off and so I was left having to either not watch A-League or support its replacement in Melbourne City and if I have to do so then personally I feel they at least owe me a Striker of more consistency and pedigree than a David Williams or a Eli Babalj. 

• Like 3