Melbourne Football

National Youth League 2019/2020

Harrison

Will be interesting to see what the expansion of the A-League bench to 7 does to the youth league. Particularly when we're playing on the same day, will we keep the 7 on the bench or give those less likely to be used the opportunity to play 90 minutes in the Youth League and use 5 subs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not a good start to the season, we lost 3-1 to the Tards on Sunday with what seemed like a decent team on paper. Najjar, got our goal in the 7th minute after we went behind in the 2nd minute. We're now on 2 points from 4 games, pretty pathetic considering how good we were under Palatsides. 

On 19/12/2019 at 3:40 PM, AXIOM said:

Is Armstrong the coach? 

Peter Kratsky is the coach. However he’s only a puppet for the twitchy neck back stabbing sub human, Kisnorbo, who picks the side. And yes, since Palasides has left, also thanks to cancer himself PK, the squad has struggled, actually, they’re shit.

1 hour ago, Mork said:

Peter Kratsky is the coach. However he’s only a puppet for the twitchy neck back stabbing sub human, Kisnorbo, who picks the side. And yes, since Palasides has left, also thanks to cancer himself PK, the squad has struggled, actually, they’re shit.

Hey man I'd be honoured if PK fucked my wife

• Like 1

If even a quarter of this is true then the club is still in a mess. It's always depressing to lose to Victory, and one should be wary of passing judgements immediately after a Derby loss, but it seems to me that there are some fundamental issues within the club that are not resolved. Ownership by City Football Group does not seem to be taking us forwards at all.

45 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

If even a quarter of this is true then the club is still in a mess. It's always depressing to lose to Victory, and one should be wary of passing judgements immediately after a Derby loss, but it seems to me that there are some fundamental issues within the club that are not resolved. Ownership by City Football Group does not seem to be taking us forwards at all.

The Club is not in a mess, however there’s dead weight there that needs to go for it to explode out of the blocks. My dislike for PK aside, he’s not the only one. Eric will make a difference but if he knew what I know there’d be a number in his staff that would already be gone.because they are swimming against the current. I’ll say this, PK is waiting in the wings for failure, and for him the sooner the better. He already has a staff lined up knowing him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We've got a lot of youth in the senior squad week in, week out. Plus all of our players are constantly on national team duty. I think the quality is there, but not the quantity. We've played a lot of very young kids while we've been under strength. Expect it to reap dividends in the future. In contrast Victory don't have anyone coming through other than Lesiotis and Deng.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, AXIOM said:

Victory youth make the GF v Sydney fc while we manage 1 win from 8 games. What has happened? We were very strong years gone by. Is this something to be concerned with?

33 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

We've got a lot of youth in the senior squad week in, week out. Plus all of our players are constantly on national team duty. I think the quality is there, but not the quantity. We've played a lot of very young kids while we've been under strength. Expect it to reap dividends in the future. In contrast Victory don't have anyone coming through other than Lesiotis and Deng.

What are the age comparisons? I though the bulk of our team was 14/15 year olds.

14 minutes ago, haz said:

What are the age comparisons? I though the bulk of our team was 14/15 year olds.

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/teams#!/y-league

Guys like Taleb, Graham, Bos, Stokes, Abdulahi, Dukuly, Byrns and Raphael all featured regularly and were 16/17 when the season started. 

Interesting to not that Florin is listed in the Youth Team profiles.

Tough 1-0 win against Perth in the final match of the season. 

Two wins from eight matches with four draws. Not a great season but as said above, we’ve had to field a very young team and it was good experience for a few of them. 

They need to extend and alter the Y-League season because now there’s a big break until the NPL season starts. 

• 1 year later...
42 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Does anyone know what is happening with this league?

I can’t find any information. Does it still exist?

This is a good article written by Joey Lynch. This season has been cancelled but they’re looking to reform it.

https://www.espn.com.au/football/australian-a-league/story/4294289/y-league-cancelled-for-2021-as-apl-flags-reform-for-australias-talent-pipeline

2 hours ago, Harrison said:

This is a good article written by Joey Lynch. This season has been cancelled but they’re looking to reform it.

https://www.espn.com.au/football/australian-a-league/story/4294289/y-league-cancelled-for-2021-as-apl-flags-reform-for-australias-talent-pipeline

@Harrison We used to hear regularly about a number of the City youth sides, and I believe that we have teams down to U-16s? We certainly have a number of coaches on our books. Nowadays however, we don't seem to hear about any of them on the club website. Have these under-age teams bitten the dust as well?

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I hope that you mob realise that the club hangs on every word I write...no sooner than I post the above there's a brief report on our senior NPL side...https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/weekend-wrap-three-three

You da man @jw1739.

In regards to the match report and the excellent Lynch article it appears the APL have taken advantage of the change in season to put the NYL on hold and instead our NYL side will play in the NPL.

Now if we field that starting XI every week I’d suggest we’d take some beating.