Melbourne Football

NSL CLASSIC MATCHES

Olympic Ultras

This is one of the more memorable matches I attended during the NSL days. It was a bitter sweet match. Newcastle needed a 3-0 score line to host a grand final, but fell short by a goal. After the final whistle, Bobby Despotovski came over to our end and gave us a bit of stick. My wife curses his name to this very day!

The next match we were knocked out by... Olympic

I never knew where Halpin actually was from but I have a clear image of him in the number 8 bossing the midfield @ Perth Oval.

Looking at Wikipedia, he even played for 11 clubs even 12 games for Telsa's team over in the West: Stirling Lions.

• 4 weeks later...

NSL on primetime public television

7 years on Z-League still yet to be shown on Free to Air!

You really do deserve some recognition from our Prime Minister for your services to the Online Australian Soccer Community Mini.

Edited by cadete

NSL on primetime public television

7 years on Z-League still yet to be shown on Free to Air!

Yes. It is a shame we miss out on what would be coverage like this

But seriously, thank you channel 7 and C7 sport. Your contribution to domestic soccer was fan-fucking-tastic. I also liked channel Nine's coverage of FA cups and World Cups in the past. The A-League can only dream of such prestigious coverage. (me? Sarcastic? NEVER!)

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

Yes. It is a shame we miss out on what would be coverage like this

But seriously, thank you channel 7 and C7 sport. Your contribution to domestic soccer was fan-fucking-tastic. I also liked channel Nine's coverage of FA cups and World Cups in the past. The A-League can only dream of such prestigious coverage. (me? Sarcastic? NEVER!)

I knew you would pipe up Harry, I have to say I found it amusing myself to see a NSL fan bring up the words "Channel Seven" which I remember was prob the worst thing you could say at Perth Oval in 1999.

Rofl, also do u remember the Adverts during the game on Channel Nine during the WC where you would actually miss parts of the game?

“Its fucken soccer , nothing will happen it’s not like they will ever score a goal”

I remember watching an Olympic Field Hockey game and Channel 7 doing the same and actually missing 2 goals.

And having to be told: “While you were away”

It’s like FFS we did not go anywhere mate.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Possibly the best site I have found for pre A-League images and videos. Does not have the anti FFA message like a lot of the other pages too. Be sure to give the page a like.

http://www.facebook....348439605204368

Yeh, I've been following this page as well. It's a great resource. Those anti-FFA facebook pages are decent in terms of providing links to NSL pictures/videos, but their anti A-League stance gets rather old after a while (even though I agree with some points).

Edited by MKD

Rewatching the 2000 grand final and seeing a relatively young Nick Theorodrakopoulos jumping up and down ecstatically on the sidelines is a fucking throwback. What could have been with him, deserves another shot at the professional level. Literally speaking he has been missing since 2009 and funnily enough is still quite young for a manager, bit of a shame to be honest.