Melbourne Football

City players for Olyroos

moops

16 minutes ago, Harrison said:

It was terrible. He’s put the wall right in the middle and he is standing behind it, so he can’t sight the ball, which results in a goal despite him ‘cheating’ and being nearer to the middle. 

Young keepers make mistakes. Hopefully this doesn’t happen again.

A6D2F7C0-71BB-4104-B42E-5524B420B27B.jpeg

If you and I know not to do that, surely he does.

i can only guess that the inexperienced defenders set up incorrectly and Glovers inexperience led him to roll with it. As you say I can’t imagine he’ll do it again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, moops said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Rammy come on for Barenguer, he looked good central, might give him more game time as well.

Not sure about this. He’d have to do a lot of running end to end and defensive work, something he’s not very good at and is probably the main reason why he’s not in the team. 

Don’t get me wrong, I think he’s a serious talent and would be his biggest advocate, but putting him on the wing is probably his best chance of making it. Unless we moved to a 4-2-3-1 and he could be more of a pure attacking midfielder with a simpler defensive role. 

13 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Not sure about this. He’d have to do a lot of running end to end and defensive work, something he’s not very good at and is probably the main reason why he’s not in the team. 

Don’t get me wrong, I think he’s a serious talent and would be his biggest advocate, but putting him on the wing is probably his best chance of making it. Unless we moved to a 4-2-3-1 and he could be more of a pure attacking midfielder with a simpler defensive role. 

Ramy played a lot in the middle in the youth team but eventually moved wide to accommodate the rapid development of Metcalfe to try and get Metcalfe + Ramy + Najjar in the one side.

3 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Ramy played a lot in the middle in the youth team but eventually moved wide to accommodate the rapid development of Metcalfe to try and get Metcalfe + Ramy + Najjar in the one side.

Yeah I know but now that we have a proper defensive system, I worry that his defensive work rate just isn’t good enough. Seems to me like he’s played mostly on the wing this season in the Y-League, probably because we’re also trying to implement the same system in the Academy to help the development of our younger players. 

He has the skill set to play anywhere but maybe not the mindset or physical attributes. 

• Like 1

Olyroos lost 2-0 to the good Korea, Metcalf started but looked gassed at the end of the first half by Genreau, which means his turned ankle wasn't bad.

Metcalf was pretty good I thought, one of the better players, he had strapping on his thigh so I hope he's not carrying an injury, could be why he hasn't played much.

3 minutes ago, moops said:

Olyroos lost 2-0 to the good Korea, Metcalf started but looked gassed at the end of the first half by Genreau, which means his turned ankle wasn't bad.

Metcalf was pretty good I thought, one of the better players, he had strapping on his thigh so I hope he's not carrying an injury, could be why he hasn't played much.

Haven’t seen anything from the match but what do you mean about Genreau? I saw he was on the bench but did he get minutes?

Metcalfe just seems a bit out of sorts with his fitness. He’s probably done his first full pre-season and having played most matches for us he might be struggling with the load, especially with the conditions over there. 

11 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Haven’t seen anything from the match but what do you mean about Genreau? I saw he was on the bench but did he get minutes?

Metcalfe just seems a bit out of sorts with his fitness. He’s probably done his first full pre-season and having played most matches for us he might be struggling with the load, especially with the conditions over there. 

We have to watch this. Our young players play virtually for the whole year - the NPL, the NYL, occasional matches for the seniors, and now the Olyroos. Much bigger workload on younger bodies than the senior players have to carry.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

We have to watch this. Our young players play virtually for the whole year - the NPL, the NYL, occasional matches for the seniors, and now the Olyroos. Much bigger workload on younger bodies than the senior players have to carry.

Yeah I think it’s something that’s definitely looked at. I’m pretty sure we’ve got an analyst/sport scientist who looks at workloads and numbers and things like that. For the younger guys who haven’t had those consecutive pre-seasons it’s very important. I think the Club are very proactive and professional in this space though. 

39 minutes ago, moops said:

Read on the FTBL forum Metcalfe was replaced at half time due to illness. 

Genreau replaced him and had a shocker.

20 minutes ago, playmaker said:

And there is your problem as it's not a science but rather basic common sense.

14 minutes ago, bt50 said:

And that folks, is how you get climate deniers.

My experience suggests to me that it's not an either/or situation. Rather, it's a combination of science and common sense.

2 hours ago, Harrison said:

Genreau started the second half replacing Metcalf, so he got the 45.

He was meant to start the match prior but twisted his ankle the day before in training, so wasn't even on the bench for that match.

2 hours ago, Tomi said:

Read on the FTBL forum Metcalfe was replaced at half time due to illness. 

Genreau replaced him and had a shocker.

The front line was the worst out of all the games, Buhagia, Toure and Italiano, no Piscopo who came on late.

23 minutes ago, moops said:

The front line was the worst out of all the games, Buhagia, Toure and Italiano, no Piscopo who came on late.

The Buhagiar selection was perplexing. He’s rapid but not a very good footballer. Was Piscopo buggered or injured? Maybe he should’ve been managed better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

The Buhagiar selection was perplexing. He’s rapid but not a very good footballer. Was Piscopo buggered or injured? Maybe he should’ve been managed better. 

Piscopo would have been buggered, he had played every game up until this morning, but he was the most creative player.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, moops said:

Piscopo would have been buggered, he had played every game up until this morning, but he was the most creative player.

Yeah so maybe Arnold thought he could rest him against South Korea and hope we made it to the final so he could play him then. Probably should’ve rested him against Syria but we needed to make it through. There just seems to be a lack of creative players that can produce when we need it.

I wish Ramy got some game time.

1 hour ago, moops said:

Yeah and 120 minutes vs Syria too.

Playing short turn around games in Thailand , you have to use the whole squad. If they’re not good enough, that’s a separate problem.

BTW press reports on Genreau weren’t too harsh. As poor as most, basically.

7 hours ago, bt50 said:

And that folks, is how you get climate deniers.

Dont tell me you are one of the hypobolic non-scientific scientists that listen to your media authority. 

I suppose the 200+ people charged with lighting fires in forests that haven't been managed for 20 years is NOT the cause of the fires but rather the nonexistent increase in CO2, non existent sea level rise and non existent polar ice cap melting.

You need to do some real scientific research buddy because you are being lied to big time and where the actual real data debunks the whole thing.

Maybe start here if you want to listen to some real science.

Or

Or 

Wake up people

• Like 1

I have done some research and it's rather inconclusive, even climate scientists are 50/50 on the humans creating climate change thing, so I expect the answer to be in the middle somewhere.

What I do know is I'm sick of everything being blown out of proportion, or predictions of our demise in 5 ears, for gods sake the news was reporting that the NT was experiencing monsoonal weather like it hasn't happened every year and some viking tablet had warnings of climate change, give me a break, it's the Mayan calendar all over again.

That's all I'll say on the subject.

4 hours ago, Harrison said:

Yeah so maybe Arnold thought he could rest him against South Korea and hope we made it to the final so he could play him then. Probably should’ve rested him against Syria but we needed to make it through. There just seems to be a lack of creative players that can produce when we need it.

I wish Ramy got some game time.

He started against syria and came on in the game before that, scored a goal as well.

5 minutes ago, moops said:

I have done some research and it's rather inconclusive, even climate scientists are 50/50 on the humans creating climate change thing, so I expect the answer to be in the middle somewhere.

What I do know is I'm sick of everything being blown out of proportion, or predictions of our demise in 5 ears, for gods sake the news was reporting that the NT was experiencing monsoonal weather like it hasn't happened every year and some viking tablet had warnings of climate change, give me a break, it's the Mayan calendar all over again.

That's all I'll say on the subject.

He started against syria and came on in the game before that, scored a goal as well.

I meant in this game. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Yeah and 120 minutes vs Syria too.

Playing short turn around games in Thailand , you have to use the whole squad. If they’re not good enough, that’s a separate problem.

BTW press reports on Genreau weren’t too harsh. As poor as most, basically.

Genreau wasn't bad, he just didn't have the impact he had last time.

Though there were some players who were bad for some reason like Baccus, I was surprised with how many bad passes he had, he is usually a good passer but he has been terrible. Gersbach annoys me with his one footedness, he cannot even make a simple pass from his right and there were players making runs into space, but he chose to pass back to the CB because he can't use his right foot.

Yeah agree, if they were resting Piscopo, Arnie should have saved him and brought on Najjarine, it would have been logical and Buhagiar is pants and Italiano has done nothing, maybe Rammy was tired as well.

• Like 1

Well playmaker, you've got me. I'm a paid up Greens member, and, I must confess, somehow I knew that there'd be a thunderstorm behind Mt Buffalo on NYE. I hiked into inhospitable country for at least a day tp set my fire, it was very tricky as I had to wait for the lightning, then, had to run home before I got engulfed by flames. At the same time, I had guests for dinner, I'm not sure how I managed it, or why, but us Greens can't help setting fire to the bush we love, and gee, I really wanted to burn down my community and friends too.

I have some great real-estate on the moon that you might be interested in buying.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, belaguttman said:

Well playmaker, you've got me. I'm a paid up Greens member, and, I must confess, somehow I knew that there'd be a thunderstorm behind Mt Buffalo on NYE. I hoed into inhospitable country for at least a day tp set my fire, it was very tricky as I had to wait for the lightning, then, had to run home before I got engulfed by flames. At the same time, I had guests for dinner, I'm not sure how I managed it, or why, but us Greens can't help setting fire to the bush we love, and gee, I really wanted to burn down my community and friends too.

I have some great real-estate on the moon that you might be interested in buying.

Bullshit. Communism always ends in starvation you big liar.

• Like 2