Melbourne Football

Matchday 6: v. Brisbane Sunday 17th November 4:00 pm Redcliffe

kingofhearts

1 minute ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

If that happened to any other player from any team. I still would be disappointed. It's a disgrace that the call that a penalty. Even when it happened to the Wellington bloke, I felt bad for him. This is what the a league is now, they need to fix there VAR bullshit

It's not VAR's fault. The handball rule has been changed. That is now a foul.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Colombo said:

Regardless of decisions we had a 2-0 lead 3-1 lead and we let it slip away same old bullshit out coached out played Fowler made the changes saw the weaknesses and was brave made changes reshaped formation and won !!! 

Whether we were out-coached I don't know, but certainly at 3-1 and then conceding two penalties is poor. But, we've conceded late in the match several times already this season, so a pattern is emerging.

Tough to watch. No top of the ladder team should ever lose from 1-3. The season isn't over though, I expect better next week

Positives:

First half, controlled space with movement off the ball.

Intelligently, played more long balls to get in behind Roar defence

Hattrick

Negatives

The result

Little reaction after we went behind. Top teams fight.

I think that we played too high a line when playing into a strong headwind in the second half. It was too easy for Roar to get behind and pull us out of shape

28 minutes ago, NuggetsMcGreggor said:

It's not VAR's fault. The handball rule has been changed. That is now a foul.

IMO we're going to see more of them too. Just hit the ball hard straight at the defender and hope to hit his arm/hand and get a free shot at goal afterwards. Some will be the the result of the natural instinct we all have to protect ourselves.

Stupid rule change really.

And VAR is a blight on the game. IMO it's driving people away.

• Like 1

Well that was hard to watch. Fair to say our opponents won’t be gifted 2 goals by the ref every week though.

Erick is going to have to wear some of the blame though. Luna was invisible in the second half and needed to come off about 30 minutes earlier. “Not his best game”. ( he gave the ball away softly on the edge of the box which led to the Griffith penalty).

For all those who think the world has ended, we are still top of the league and will be tomorrow morning.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Well that was hard to watch. Fair to say our opponents won’t be gifted 2 goals by the ref every week though.

Erick is going to have to wear some of the blame though. Luna was invisible in the second half and needed to come off about 30 minutes earlier. “Not his best game”. ( he gave the ball away softly on the edge of the box which led to the Griffith penalty).

For all those who think the world has ended, we are still top of the league and will be tomorrow morning.

Luna was spent at the 50th min and should have been subbed.

Also we lost because they switched their wingers and played wide, and we kept playing narrow with our FBs. It's an inherent weakness in our structure.

Jamieson got slaughtered and Noone had a shocker, that whole left side was our weakness.

Mombaets better get his act together. His decisions and lack there of allowed for their total domination in the 2nd half.

The 2 pens were just down to bad luck and we just need to take that.

Really disappointing to let that one go, shouldn't be losing from that position

What really shits me though is that odonovan gets all the applause and was given MOTM, when it was Amadi Holloway who caused all the problems for us. Maybe it's cause I don't like odonovan 

The 2nd penalty needs to be cleared up by whoever is in charge. Cause he didn't make himself bigger and he did what every person would do when a ball gets billeted at your head. Horrible decision 

Onto next week now, we're still on top

And also put your hand up if you were one of those who said 9 months ago that  maclaren wasn't worth marquee status please

• Like 1

We just panicked into the wind. It wasn't as if Brisbane played great football and created a shitload of chances, we just coughed up 4 stupid goals in 30 minutes, 2 of which were disgraceful refereeing decisions.

I'd be filthy if I was McLaren too, his hattrick ended up meaning shit. 

This team is more than good enough to win the thing, but FFS please let's stop these dumb results.

1 hour ago, neio said:

And also put your hand up if you were one of those who said 9 months ago that  maclaren wasn't worth marquee status please

Yup, I was one of them! But admitted to be converted some rounds ago. Still not the best marquee in terms of creativity and flair in my opinion but boy can he score them!!! I think the point was last season that Maclaren needs service from creative players as in another outstanding marquee next to him.

Just now, Mr MO said:

Yup, I was one of them! But admitted to be converted some rounds ago. Still not the best marquee in terms of creativity and flair in my opinion but boy can he score them!!! I think the point was last season that Maclaren needs service from creative players as in another outstanding marquee next to him.

Me too.

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I feel that Noone tends to panic if the game isn't running his way. Williams-esque Row Z stuff.

I’m loosing faith in Noone a little.

One thing I noticed that we did very little tactically to defend the lead. I really expected Brillante to drop a line and play as DM next to Griffiths but we didn’t make any adjustments.

Edited by Mr MO

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

I’m loosing faith in Noone a little.

One thing I noticed that we did very little tactically to defend the lead. I really expected Brillante to drop a line and play as DM next to Griffiths but we didn’t make any adjustments.

For the second half we swapped the two wingers and I think Genreau was brought on just before we conceded the third goal, so Mombaerts was at least trying to do something before Brisbane got level.

The way I see it is that midfield and defence isn’t strong enough. I’m not sold on Luna and Griffiths in the same midfield three. Brillante as the defensive midfielder gives us enough solidity but also creativity from a deep position. We don’t get that with Griffiths. I noticed Luna a few times not doing enough in defensive transition. Either it’s a fitness problem, a concentration problem or both. It’s one thing to press the ball carrier, but it’s another thing entirely to be in the right position consistently and pay attention to the pressing triggers in different situations.

Defensively something isn’t quite working. It could be a personnel issue but I’m not entirely sure yet. I’m interested to see what he does with Windbichler because I’d be playing him alongside Good. Jamieson is weak defensively but given his role in our build up play he won’t be dropped. Galloway doesn’t close down direct opponents quickly enough either. Bouzanis does enough to keep his spot but I’m underwhelmed by his performances too often.

Cabrera has found his groove. He has a beautiful cross and should keep his spot over Wales. Noone is tough to evaluate. He is a class above but he isn’t effective for long periods. He also tries to do too much. 

All in all it was a disappointing match. The penalties were soft and I just don’t see why the handball was given. As said above, we need to be doing more to hold a lead. We could see a shift towards a more compact shape in future when we’re protecting a lead. It makes sense to do that. 

• Like 1

Wow that was disappointing. 

I think what has been missed and at this stage being our first league loss I'm going to cut the boys and Warmfarts some slack. It was hot. 30 degrees and pretty humid. 

The first half we looked like it could have been a 6 or 7 goal smashing but that was basically created by intelligent positioning, direct vertical balls and some intense pressing. 

You can't do it for 90minutes in the heat they need to rethink this part and unfortunately so far our game has been solely based on this. 

Bagging individual players for yesterday won't achieve squat the collective failed in the second half and cost us a game.

We needed Joyce ball for the second half. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jovan said:

You can't do it for 90minutes in the heat they need to rethink this part and unfortunately so far our game has been solely based on this. 

IMO this is a big problem for us if we try to play "the City way" throughout an Australian summer. Mombaerts needs to think this through and modify his approach accordingly.

• Like 1

I still feel physically sick from watching yesterday's match. And I think there is a deep underlying problem across the club. A couple of months ago I watched our youth team cough up a 4-1 lead to go down 6-4 against Manningham. I spoke to the Manningham coaching staff afterwards. Their analysis was in effect, our boys wanted it more. Yesterday the first player to be interviewed was JMac, and he said, in effect, they deserved to win, they were desperate to win. And the bottom line is, I think, that we weren't. In Geelong, they were backs to the wall and fought back even in the worst circumstances. But yesterday they believed their own publicity too much, they felt they were good enough to win, and that with JMac back they would have enough to win. They were complacent and not hungry. That's our cultural problem, and that's why we lost. It's also why, in the wider sense, we don't win anything. We're not desperate enough. 

• Like 3