Melbourne Football

Season Preparation

heart_fan10

It would be stupid if we weren't having a friendly this weekend tbh and Friday makes the most sense. I assume it will be played behind closed doors though and that's why we haven't heard anything.

I read somewhere maybe the Sun of foxsports it is just Heart playing an intraclub behind closed doors at AAMI i believe as the final hitout, not a friendly from what i understood but i am not sure mate.

"Curiosity killed the cat..." But.... In a parallel universe, I'd really love to see what Jv$ could have done with this squad, on paper, I honestly think we potentially have the best starting 11 in the HAL.

Bolton - At the very least, top 3 GKs in the league.

Marrone - One of the most consistent players in the league rarely under-performs.

Colosimo - A proven performer at this level, amongst the best CBs in the league.

Gerhardt - Not as strong as Srhoj overall, but as a CB, he seems to be more reliable than Thompson.

Behich - Probably the most dangerous/damaging full back in the league, going forward.

Fred - Proved his worth last season (and in the past), we could not win without him .

Thompson - Amazing on his day, can go missing at times, but one of the leagues better mids.

Dugandzic - One of the few players in the league that can turn a game on it's head, could quite easily make the transition to Europe at his current level.

Garcia - A Socceroo with a huge wealth of experience, could be a masterstroke.

Tadic - A strong pedigree, comes at a good age, but his desire is questionable, at this stage.

Germano - Very underrated, but one of the absolute finds in the leagues history, provides a solid option for coaches in a range of positions.

Macallister - Worth his spot, works tirelessly to create, and takes his chances (AKA prolific.)

Williams - His up side is emence, if he can integrate well with Behich, we could cause havoc down the left flank.

Kalmar - Reliable performer, strong and solid.

Redmayne - Among the top 5 up and coming keepers in the league.

Gray - A professional.

Vrankovic - Solid young talent.

Garuccio - See above.

Mebrahtu - See bellow.

Hoffman - N/A.

Getting the team to gel has been a huge and tough challenge for Aloisi, and it will be interesting to see whether he has the ability to execute what he wants to.

P.S. wasn't expecting to write this elaborate piece of prose. TLDR; The squad is strong, eh!

Edited by LR9

"Curiosity killed the cat..." But.... In a parallel universe, I'd really love to see what Jv$ could have done with this squad, on paper, I honestly think we potentially have the best starting 11 in the HAL.

Probably nothing, just like how he failed to doing anything with the Season One Squad which should have IMO on talent alone made a lopsided finals system.

JVS never would have allowed the above team to be recruited anyway as our current squad has way too much experience for his liking...

Recruiting senior CD’s for one was def not his style he preferred to let them walk out on the club and too replace them in Round One the next year with babies.

Edited by cadete

Probably nothing, just like how he failed to doing anything with the Season One Squad which should have IMO on talent alone made a lopsided finals system.

JVS never would have allowed the above team to be recruited anyway as our current squad has way too much experience for his liking...

Recruiting senior CD’s for one was def not his style he preferred to let them walk out on the club and too replace them in Round One the next year with babies.

I agree with you Cadete in regards to JVS and his apparent issue with the likes of Beauchamp, Colosimo and Fred. I thought our side was better in the first season than last. At least it looked more likely to break down the opposition, and I had confidence in Aloisi and Sibon to put away chances unlike last season until Eli hit form.

Hopefully JA will have this squad gel quickly - by Friday preferably.

this squad is very strong and has a lot more potential than people think, our season will depend on whether those players step up and actually fulfill their full potential.

This is the issue - actual performance vs. potential.

We'll know a lot more after the first home game vs. Wellington. These are the games that we have to win if we are going anywhere this season.

I agree with you Cadete in regards to JVS and his apparent issue with the likes of Beauchamp, Colosimo and Fred. I thought our side was better in the first season than last. At least it looked more likely to break down the opposition, and I had confidence in Aloisi and Sibon to put away chances unlike last season until Eli hit form.

Hopefully JA will have this squad gel quickly - by Friday preferably.

I am not saying that Beauchamp and Heffernan were brilliant performers, but to let two experienced defenders walk out was simply at least one too many and a mistake that would hurt us all Season as Good and Hamill put in the inconsistent jobs u can only expect from kids when put at CB.

I like this squad JA has put together and I like how right from the start JA has put his own flavour on the squad not simply following blindly the recruitment rules and guidelines that JVS had setup in his time.

He could turn out to be a massive failure, but at least JA seems more focused on chasing Titles than JVS appeared to be with his obsession on developing Youth. I mean dont get me wrong Developing Youth is great and all but Titles and Success should always come first IMO.

Edited by cadete