Melbourne Football

Season Preparation

heart_fan10

Why?

Friday Night games suck - All our home games should be at 8pm on a Friday.

Kind of fixed. Ideally we need consistent home fixture scheduling. The Melbourne Rebels pretty much always play at 7pm on a Friday night at AAMI Park. A bit of consistency goes a long way.

"Oh, it's Friday night, let's go watch the Heart" etc

I always like Sunday afternoon games tbh, especially if its a nice sunny day (Y), only problem is having to wake up reasonably early (for a Sunday) to get a solid pre game session in. But I guess most people disagree with that, as they tend to be poorly attended. Friday and Saturday night games are always well attended so they will continue to put games on at that time.

3pm on Saturday is a solid time though, good for pre game, game, post game, and post post game.

Edited by Tesla

Williams looking fairly thin at training:

http://i.haymarket.net.au/Utils/ImageResizer.ashx?n=http%3a%2f%2fi.haymarket.net.au%2fGalleries%2f20120621091846_146612495_10.jpg&h=450&w=645

Hopefully he can fulfil a bit of his potential now that his hair is approaching NQF length.

Looks promising, but really need a side angle to tell.

Caught a bit of training this afternoon. Terrible conditions, cold, windy, ground soaked and getting chopped up.

Gray, the guy who's come back from Greece, and someone closely resembling Patrick Gerhardt were the additions to the normal squad. No youth players today, no Fred or Dugandzic either I think. Marrone looked good which is encouraging after having off-season sugery.

Aloisi took training with no other coaches present apart from Zois and the fitness guy. We could probably sign Aloisi up for another season if we cant find a no. 9. There was a guy there watching from a distance who looked suspiciously like Ron Smith, but I can't be sure. Might just be wishful thinking.

I watched them play about a 7 a side match which was really good to watch. Pretty competetive. Hoffman was yelling at anyone who didn't put it where he wanted or didn't pass to him when he was in good position. It was great to see a bit of competetive fire in him. Forget about turning him into a midfielder. Get him in the box and let him score. If he can score a couple and get his confidence up at A League level, I still think there's a striker there waiting to emerge. Williams looked in ok condition but can't tell for sure until he puts on a new Kappa shirt. That'll be the real test. Gray is height challenged. I wonder if he might be a backup full back or DM in addition to being a central defender? Gerhardt looked like someone just settling in - fairly quiet. Too early to tell much but looked ok.

Anyway, I was sthinking the squad we've got right now isn't too bad. The basis of the team is there, but we need a couple of top line signings (obviously a striker) and some depth in a couple of areas. Expect maybe 3 or 4 signing announcements in the next couple of weeks.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 5

So it appears as if Adelaide have the monopoly of Friday night games again the season. Mix it up ffs.

Appears as if I jumped the gun on that one. After a poor season they've lost their stranglehold on the HAL prize of Friday night football scoring only five Friday night home games. :)

We will have to play more than just three Friendlies in the Off Season....

I think the rest will be against VPL sides at their grounds plus maybe one at the family day. The three I posted above is our Westpac community matches or whatever the fuck they are called, which we have done in Bendigo, Ballarat, Shep etc. in the last two years.

Pretty sure Scott Munn has tweeted we won't be going back to Ballarat this year too, so I can't see MHFC playing any other games out of Melbourne unless we travel interstate to play an A-League opponent.

Most contracted players trained today with Brodie Patterson and a couple of young keepers joining the senior squad.

Notable absentees were Fred, Dugandzic, Gerhardt, and Bolton, with triallists Gray, Honos and Gol Gol also not training today. Unfortunately, no appearance from Bresch.

Aloisi, Hayden Foxe, and another coach took the players through their drills with Zois working with the keepers. Unfortunately I couldnt recognise the other assistant. Fairly tall, possibly fairly recently retired. The guy who may or may not be Ron Smith was again watching from a distance, but not involved with what was happening.

• Like 1

Most contracted players trained today with Brodie Patterson and a couple of young keepers joining the senior squad.

Notable absentees were Fred, Dugandzic, Gerhardt, and Bolton, with triallists Gray, Honos and Gol Gol also not training today. Unfortunately, no appearance from Bresch.

Aloisi, Hayden Foxe, and another coach took the players through their drills with Zois working with the keepers. Unfortunately I couldnt recognise the other assistant. Fairly tall, possibly fairly recently retired. The guy who may or may not be Ron Smith was again watching from a distance, but not involved with what was happening.

it's great to get these updates from training. would be worth a topic of its own i reckon.

Sash, is Fred actually back in Australia yet?

I believe so. Haven't spotted him but I think he is. I think he's due to get back to training soon following his post-season surgery.

If so, I'm guessing that he might be doing rehab and work in the gym to build his strength and conditioning before getting out and training with the squad. I'd say they want to be careful to make sure his recovery is done properly after the issues he had last year.

Edited by Sash

this is info the club should be putting out.

Get with the program heart! start feeding us info that may actually get us excited.

all i have heard from the end of the season to now is that we have released half the squad and 2/3 of our coaching staff.............and have only signed 1 player.

99 days to go and this is the only info we have got???????? I bet this info has helped increase membership interest!

• 2 weeks later...

For those who dont know, the club's facebook page has training pics from last week taken at Epping.

http://www.facebook.com/melbourneheartfc#!/media/set/?set=a.10150926328092479.412854.284795317478&type=1

Senior players training: Marrone, Colosimo, Good, Hamill, Gray, Behich, Hoffman, Thompson, Germano, Williams, Kalmar and Redmayne.

Not sited: Fred, Dugandzic, Gerhardt, Gol Gol, Bolton.

Interestinlgy, photo 17 looks like it might be our new international striker. For someone who looks pretty short and lightly framed, he seems to lack mobility. Although it's a photo, so he could be deceptively quick. From Poland maybe.

A number of additions to training this week which look like a combination of youth players and triallists. I can only recognise one or two so if anyone else can put names to faces, that would be great.

Good was supposed to be with the Aussie U22 squad last week. Wondering why he was left out? I assumed it must've been injury but doesn't look like it.

A couple of shots at the end show Aloisi and who I think is Joe Didulica taking training. No Hayden Foxe this time it seems.

The surface looks fantastic at Epping. Much better than what they normally train on at La Trobe.

Never seen the first guy before. Looks too old to be a youth player.

The guy who many of us thought was Gray is the bald guy in this shot.

http://www.facebook....pe=3&permPage=1

Hence all the "there's no way he's 6'3" posts. Don't know who he is either, but I think he might also be a left footed defender. Unless there's yet another bald guy who's been training with us recently.

Edited by Sash

For those who dont know, the club's facebook page has training pics from last week taken at Epping.

http://www.facebook.com/melbourneheartfc#!/media/set/?set=a.10150926328092479.412854.284795317478&type=1

Senior players training: Marrone, Colosimo, Good, Hamill, Gray, Behich, Hoffman, Thompson, Germano, Williams, Kalmar and Redmayne.

Not sited: Fred, Dugandzic, Gerhardt, Gol Gol, Bolton.

Interestinlgy, photo 17 looks like it might be our new international striker. For someone who looks pretty short and lightly framed, he seems to lack mobility. Although it's a photo, so he could be deceptively quick. From Poland maybe.

A number of additions to training this week which look like a combination of youth players and triallists. I can only recognise one or two so if anyone else can put names to faces, that would be great.

Good was supposed to be with the Aussie U22 squad last week. Wondering why he was left out? I assumed it must've been injury but doesn't look like it.

A couple of shots at the end show Aloisi and who I think is Joe Didulica taking training. No Hayden Foxe this time it seems.

The surface looks fantastic at Epping. Much better than what they normally train on at La Trobe.

Yep, the new striker is definitely a Pole.

Good trained with us all week and did not go to the national squad. No reason has been given, and there's no report of any injury concern.

There's one player I don't recognise - he's the one with white socks facing right in photo20.

For Zac Walker fans he was in the training group - he's in photo22 second from right front.

Never seen the first guy before. Looks too old to be a youth player.

The guy who many of us thought was Gray is the bald guy in this shot.

http://www.facebook....pe=3&permPage=1

Hence all the "there's no way he's 6'3" posts. Don't know who he is either, but I think he might also be a left footed defender. Unless there's yet another bald guy who's been training with us recently.

the bald guy is Phil Petrevski. He was in our youth team last year.