Melbourne Football

Matchday 5: v Central Coast - Friday 8th November 7:30pm at AAMI Park

Deluka

9 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

Metcalf reminds me so much of Nemanja Matic.

The key thing that EM has added is the one touch play all over the park.  That second touch is what kills momentum. No other team in the A-League is doing the oen-touch as well.  Great to watch.

Correct, we try to play out the back very quick on most occasions, one touch football.
Here’s where some players with poor control can’t keep up, tonight Jamieson shows if we keep developing like this he would soon become a weaker link. 

4 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

Luna looks dangerous over a dead ball 

Maybe I’m too critical but besides the free kicks and the toe poke, he wasn’t present. I want more out of this guy but I’m not sure if it’s there in this physical league.

Loved seeing them play in the red kit tonight!

Edited by Mr MO

Deservedly, top of the ladder.

Positives:

Excellent performance across the pitch, Le Patrone has transformed the team.

For the first time ever, we are varying our pace of play: slower buildup, the quick attack. This has been made easier with good movement off the ball that opens space in attack, shuts down opponents and closes passing lanes in defensive transition. 

It brought tears to my eyes to see us playing such positive, attractive football in red and white.

Dominant midfield tonight, Griffiths, Brilliante and Metcalfe controlled the game, usually played the useful pass - forward when necessary and back when we needed to slow the play.

Good use of subs, maintained the pressure on the field, attacked until the whistle

Crowd was loud, particularly active. Well done.

Negatives:

Sloppy goal to concede

Should have scored more goals from the number of excellent chances

We're collecting quite a few yellows, we'll pay for that mid-season as quite a few players may miss games

• Like 5

I thought Mariners were decent, actually pretty good. We just dominated them, and we played with a nice tempo. At times we played that slow side to side possession and then we either took on a man or played a direct ball and continued. It was Delbribge and Good and then they fed Metcalfe and Brillante who were both tremendous. 

I agree Jamieson was probably our weakest going forward but defensively he was superb. 

Griffiths again has shown he is undroppable and was solid. Wales was good and Noone showed his class. Luna isn't as shit as I first thought and I'm hoping he is a confidence player and after his dummie I think he started playing with more flair. And finally Wales was very serviceable, he just needs to make better choices but he deserves to continue on the left.

Great night and super result. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I thought Mariners were decent, actually pretty good. We just dominated them, and we played with a nice tempo. At times we played that slow side to side possession and then we either took on a man or played a direct ball and continued. It was Delbribge and Good and then they fed Metcalfe and Brillante who were both tremendous. 

I agree Jamieson was probably our weakest going forward but defensively he was superb. 

Griffiths again has shown he is undroppable and was solid. Wales was good and Noone showed his class. Luna isn't as shit as I first thought and I'm hoping he is a confidence player and after his dummie I think he started playing with more flair. And finally Wales was very serviceable, he just needs to make better choices but he deserves to continue on the left.

Great night and super result. 

That was one of the most pleasing things, CCM played some good football, or at least tried too. Stajic has done a good job with them, but we shut down their game whilst still playing our own

20 minutes ago, CityWildcat said:

Shockingly poor crowd.

5 and half thousand. It'll take several seasons to recover from Joyce

• Like 1

Just got home, so some more thoughts.

We were excellent all over the pitch. A few shout outs- Curtis was a rock, Brillante- wtf were Sydney thinking? How did we prise him out of there? The bloke is incredible at breaking the opposition down.

I was stoked to see Luna score. Actually I though the first half chance might have been easier, but not if he’s one footed I guess. Hopefully that goal will give his confidence a much needed boost.

No JMac. 6 goals in 2 games, 6 different scorers.

Active- Heart era like. Just killed it.

Finally I thought CFG would have to leave for us to play in red and white at home again. How sweet it was.

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

They are very well organised team at the moment. Brilliante and Griffiths make a lot of the team accountable. Wales too with his hard running forays and work rate. I agree with the comments surrounding the variety of attack. We’re not so obvious. Finally found a way to play without Fornaroli. This team has a lot of improvement in them. Jamieson and Bourzanis need to tone down the risky play however. Galloway another composed player. I really liked Daniel DeSilva from Mariners. Any chance we can snap him up next season I’d go for it. 

Haven’t logged onto here in aaaaages but tonight’s game was so bloody terrific I wanted to get back amongst the forum. Unfortunately I’m overseas at the moment so i couldn’t attend, but managed to stream the whole game at my hostel. What a cracking performance from the lads. Everyone played their role and it was a joy to watch us play with such fluidity in attack. Metcalfe was probably my MOTM, but only just edged it over Griffiths, Good and Brillante. 

I know there will be a lot of negativity about the crowd figure tonight, and I have to admit, it looked pretty ordinary on the broadcast. But the terrace were simply superb tonight both in numbers and in voice. I know the City Terrace lads have had a bit of a tough time of it lately, but tonight was terrific and I hope they can build on it. The crowd numbers themselves do not matter at all if we’ve got a good atmosphere and we’re playing good football, and we had both of those in spades tonight.

One of those games that really served to remind me why I first fell in love with this club, can’t wait til the next home game :wub:

• Like 2

putrid weather but same result as last week, batter opposition but not score as much as we should of and concede a soft goal
definitely helped that ccm didn't have a striker starting, silvera is a weak cunt

noone form is concerning, wales is Wales 
no home game for a month now and only 2 left for the year 

no thread for Metcalfe but really excited for him, manages to find so much space up forward and is actually aware of the play around him, if he keeps developing he won't be in Aus in a couple years 

Edited by Thrillhouse

6 hours ago, belaguttman said:

5 and half thousand. It'll take several seasons to recover from Joyce

Is it possible that the Friday night part contributed to lower crowds? I know that Friday night games in the PL are getting a lot of criticism as being hard to attend for fans.

1 hour ago, Falastur said:

Is it possible that the Friday night part contributed to lower crowds? I know that Friday night games in the PL are getting a lot of criticism as being hard to attend for fans.

It was hailing in the lead up to the game and just a shocking day all round none of the families around us appeared, and can hardly blame them. 

Did anybody, like me, feel last night a sense that we'd got our club back? Great football, fabulous active support (I mean it guys, bloody magnificent), red and white. Big message for the club. Recognise the history, bring back our colours, and the old band will reform and rock the place like we always did. Bottle last night and label it vintage. We are red and white. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, fensaddler said:

Did anybody, like me, feel last night a sense that we'd got our club back? Great football, fabulous active support (I mean it guys, bloody magnificent), red and white. Big message for the club. Recognise the history, bring back our colours, and the old band will reform and rock the place like we always did. Bottle last night and label it vintage. We are red and white. 

Absolutely! Totally different feeling last night, on and off the field, from the past few seasons. The goal celebrations showed that the players were happy inside themselves and as a group, active were great and enjoying themselves, and despite the conditions we all felt part of something good.  As you say, big message for the club. And the League - don't let corporates and money destroy the clubs we have.

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

Given our injuries. We are a massive chance this season

The reality is that we only miss Jamie.
Florin won’t be missed, just like last year  will take a while to get back to fitness. Unless the other 4 midfielders get injured.

Windy would be nice to have as CB back up but as it stands isn’t in the first eleven.