Melbourne Football

Matchday 5: v Central Coast - Friday 8th November 7:30pm at AAMI Park

Deluka

Mariners have to fly back from Perth for a short turnaround while we stay in Melbourne though. I think we win this by two goals minimum.

Sadly gonna be the first game I'll have missed attending this season though, bit of a bummer. Hopefully an okay turnout for the 10 year celebration where we will apparently be wearing our Heart kits.

21 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Going to be chilly and a high chance of rain. Very reminiscent of Heart's first season, so I'll be wearing the red and white with pride.

I reckon we should do the same for the Christmas Derby. Stuff the club - do it ourselves.

A La germano with the Christmas hat  ??

• Like 2

22 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Going to be chilly and a high chance of rain. Very reminiscent of Heart's first season.

The torrential downpour game complete with 1 hour delay + crowd doing the conga line in the wet. I think it was against Mariners also.

45 minutes ago, kiko said:

The torrential downpour game complete with 1 hour delay + crowd doing the conga line in the wet. I think it was against Mariners also.

Pretty sure it was. My mate and I were soaked to the skin getting from Richmond Station to the ground, then the trains were washed out and we had to queue up for a taxi in Swanston Street, finally getting one and then falling foul of the "pay up front" rule after 10.00 p.m. My mate talked the driver in taking us to an ATM and only then were we able to go home. My mate didn't get home to Seaford until after midnight.

• Like 2

Really wish I could make this one. Good work by the club to celebrate our 10 years in our traditional colours. Hopefully it’s a stadium of 10,000 in mostly red and white.

The match itself should be interesting. We’ve scored 1.6 more than our xG, which indicates that we’re actually finishing difficult chances. Galloway’s goal and Maclaren’s winner against WU are two that come to mind. 

CCM are quite a compact team. Against Perth they sat off and managed to score two. Mostly they go down the left side and De Silva and Oar are a decent combination. Silvera is one to watch. Duric can score screamers.

Personnel-wise it might be Najjar up front again. Wales and Noone out wide again and Genreau and Metcalfe in the middle with Brillante. Griffiths unlucky to drop out for Delbridge but someone has to make way. It could be Genreau but I like his creativity. We need playmakers against a low-block team. 

Definitely Delbribge comes back into CB and Brillante back into midfield, and that leaves 3 players deserving to start in 2 available spots. 

For me Rosslyn starts, that leaves either Metcalfe or Genreau, and with Brillante and Griffiths I would go with Genreau basically as it feels more balanced. 

Tough on Metcalfe but good teams have these issues.

Upfront is less clear. The front 3 haven't yet for me proved to be locked in starters.

Obviously Noone starts and most likely on the right. Najjar should get another 60 minutes with that young dude replacing and that leaves Wales or Uruguay and both are half decent at rugby but for us still not bona fide starters.

I think I go with Wales.

14 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Definitely Delbribge comes back into CB and Brillante back into midfield, and that leaves 3 players deserving to start in 2 available spots. 

For me Rosslyn starts, that leaves either Metcalfe or Genreau, and with Brillante and Griffiths I would go with Genreau basically as it feels more balanced. 

Tough on Metcalfe but good teams have these issues.

Upfront is less clear. The front 3 haven't yet for me proved to be locked in starters.

Obviously Noone starts and most likely on the right. Najjar should get another 60 minutes with that young dude replacing and that leaves Wales or Uruguay and both are half decent at rugby but for us still not bona fide starters.

I think I go with Wales.

Is Genreau an option on the LW ? No player has cemented a spot there ? 

1 hour ago, Missing_Moy said:

I'd drop Wales to the bench, give Najjar another run up top with Noone on the other wing.

Give Genreau the license to drift in towards the centre (like Broich) then sub Wales and and the youth striker on towards the end to run at tiring defenders.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Missing_Moy said:

For me what we've seen over the past few seasons is that putting blokes in positions that they might not be suited but done because they are better players overall than the current rarely works. (Brillante last week was more because of how weak the nix were rather than being a masterstroke).

So putting Genreau out on a wing probably won't work even though Genreau is a better player than Wales(IMO) I would probably try Najarine again out wide first or even look at Atkinson instead of Wales. 

I think you also need to look at the LB in Jamieson and his ability to overlap or cut inside in who is best as the left sided attacking option.

It's a position that is definitely open to a few possibilities but the sooner we get it right that more balanced we will look.

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nate said:

Wales was good on the weekend, especially first half.

No brainer to start him

Wales is our most threatening winger (outside of noone)

If only his decision making was better when getting into a dangerous position I tell ya.....

10k crowd this friday, book it. 😎

4 minutes ago, OzOranje said:

Bouzanis

Galloway Delbo Good Jamo

Brillante

Genreau Metcalfe

Noone Luna Najarine

Wales was better last week, but just can’t be relied upon for final touch  

Najjarines final touch hasn’t been much better IMO 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Missing_Moy said:

Najjarines final touch hasn’t been much better IMO 

He set up Jamieson perfectly at the end but Jamieson can’t shoot very well. 

10 hours ago, playmaker said:

They are both rubbish.

Calling two highly-rated 19 year olds rubbish is an interesting statement when both have only played a handful of games and both signed multi year deals recently. 

Suppose I’ll never understand why some fans write off teenagers. It’s amusing. 

• Like 1

Haven't seen one pundit yet not backing us for this game.

Once again, which seems to be a "copy paste" comment, if we want to be contenders not pretenders and more so start getting some crowds.... This should be a must win game.

Let's hope Erick is aware of our past and wants to fix it.

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

Calling two highly-rated 19 year olds rubbish is an interesting statement when both have only played a handful of games and both signed multi year deals recently. 

Suppose I’ll never understand why some fans write off teenagers. It’s amusing. 

I don't care about their age, I care about player performance, both have failed to do anything worth noting and don't deserve to be on the pitch.

I am worried that you find it amusing but I don't find it amusing at all because I want us to be the best team in the league and the ingredients don't include those 2 players.

Wales has had more than enough opportunities and Najjar just hasn't cut it with what I have seen. It is just a matter of time that teams exploit these weaknesses.

If I was CCM I would be forcing the ball to go to Wales knowing that nothing would be created as a result, and set up for a wide counter when he inevitably turns over the ball and our defence is too narrow to defend.

I hope I am proven wrong.

Why leave Griffiths out? Been in our best 5 last two weeks. My concern is Jamo who's leaking goals down his wing and he'll probably be against Silvera a quicker player. Would it be worth playing Brillante as full back and Griff as DM? Would consider giving Colakovski a run as striker with Luna on the other wing who works hard. Agree Najjarine seems to stop as soon as he loses the ball and tracks back very slowly. Wales just can't work out what to do with the ball once he's up to the box. Najjar didn't really do much last game either

14 minutes ago, playmaker said:

I don't care about their age, I care about player performance, both have failed to do anything worth noting and don't deserve to be on the pitch.

I am worried that you find it amusing but I don't find it amusing at all because I want us to be the best team in the league and the ingredients don't include those 2 players.

Wales has had more than enough opportunities and Najjar just hasn't cut it with what I have seen. It is just a matter of time that teams exploit these weaknesses.

If I was CCM I would be forcing the ball to go to Wales knowing that nothing would be created as a result, and set up for a wide counter when he inevitably turns over the ball and our defence is too narrow to defend.

But if you don't give these youngsters an opportunity at City they'll simply go somewhere else - such as Western United - and next minute we're whinging because we let them go. 

We held on to Genreau and sent him on loan, and that was a sublime pass that set up JMac for a goal. You won't see better than that anywhere.

If you don't hold on to these lads then all we end up with is A-League journeymen, and again there's an outburst of whinging.

If we've fallen down it's with our visa players, not by playing our youngsters. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

But if you don't give these youngsters an opportunity at City they'll simply go somewhere else - such as Western United - and next minute we're whinging because we let them go. 

We held on to Genreau and sent him on loan, and that was a sublime pass that set up JMac for a goal. You won't see better than that anywhere.

If you don't hold on to these lads then all we end up with is A-League journeymen, and again there's an outburst of whinging.

If we've fallen down it's with our visa players, not by playing our youngsters. 

This 100%. I remember Postecoglou saying the key to success in  the aleague is getting your visa players right and on the pitch. A slight caveat to this is we are doing very well so far without them. Can we continue to do so is the question! 

39 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Another quality post!

Neither Wales or Najarine have yet locked in a starting position, but neither has the more senior players including the Uruguayans. 

As it stands 1 wide position is available and for me every other has a clear choice. And that includes playing Najar at #9 until Maclaren is fit.

Edited by Jovan
That first line is dripping in sarcasm

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Another quality post!

Neither Wales or Najarine have yet locked in a starting position, but neither has the more senior players including the Uruguayans. 

As it stands 1 wide position is available and for me every other has a clear choice. And that includes playing Najar at #9 until Maclaren is fit.

I agree, but we are not discussing why they are playing but rather if they are good enough.

So as @jw1739 stated, the problem is that we have not managed to get our marquee and visa player right.

So as I stated previously somewhere, we are never going to win anything having youth in our core first 11, sure give them opportunities off the pine but we should not depend on them.

Genreau deserves another chance as does Metcalfe but Wales, Najjarine, and Najjar have not shown anything. Kolakovski looks quick and deserves to start ahead of Najjar tomorrow IMO.

Edited by playmaker