Melbourne Football

How do we get people to come to games?

citypool

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

Best case: based on a projection of future events that assumes only the best possible circumstances

Realistic: having/showing a sensible and practical idea of what can be achieved or expected.

I will point out that perhaps you overlooked the fact that they are not mutually exclusive.

Or perhaps you did subconsciously but are not in harmony with your inner self.

28 minutes ago, playmaker said:

I will point out that perhaps you overlooked the fact that they are not mutually exclusive.

Or perhaps you did subconsciously but are not in harmony with your inner self.

Sensible and practical. You lack both qualities. Over and out. 

Edited by n i k o

16 hours ago, jw1739 said:

IMO it's realistic to suggest that a David Villa type marquee such as Zlatan would push our home attendances up to the 15,000 mark, and not beyond that at the present time except for home derbies.

I’d expect a 25k crowd for the first match with Zlatan. Promotion would be important. I can think of a fair few people who’d go to see him that aren’t regular attendees. Even just the chance to see him play live once would bring thousands more through the gates. Beyond that it would probably drop off.

He’s a world-class player and has a global following. You’d get a lot of interest. But it just won’t happen unfortunately. 

6 hours ago, Imtellingyou said:

First step improve the weather in Melbourne.  For sure CFG can do it. Relocate the club to place where Zlatan would be happy to live. 

It's obvious then. Move the Club to Morwell into the old Falcons Park, the seats have nearly faded from Royal Blue to City Blue anyway

latrobe-stadium-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We can't really blame Melbourne City and bad weather for poor attendance.  In the event of the good weather there would be 7500 crowd. The problem is deeper and wider across the league.  Our three home games were uncontested.  The league has matured with more gaps opening.  The game is not that much exciting and palatable. Unless your team is atop of the ladder. 

I’m currently in Mumbai, and they only have one team in the Indian Super League, Mumbai City FC and I watched them play the other night. Tickets are roughly $2 Australian. Mumbai is ranked as having the 16th most expensive real estate market in the world (1 place behind Melbourne) so it’s not as poor as people may think, meaning people can absolutely afford to attend games. Football is the number 2 sport in India behind cricket, and some clubs average 60k+ attendance.

Mumbai City FC is the only football club in a city of 18 million people and have an average attendance of 4000. Obviously different environment, but kind of puts our average of 6000 as one of three clubs in a city of 3 million people into a bit of global perspective.

• Thanks 1

On 09/11/2019 at 2:42 PM, GreenSeater said:

I’m currently in Mumbai, and they only have one team in the Indian Super League, Mumbai City FC and I watched them play the other night. Tickets are roughly $2 Australian. Mumbai is ranked as having the 16th most expensive real estate market in the world (1 place behind Melbourne) so it’s not as poor as people may think, meaning people can absolutely afford to attend games. Football is the number 2 sport in India behind cricket, and some clubs average 60k+ attendance.

Mumbai City FC is the only football club in a city of 18 million people and have an average attendance of 4000. Obviously different environment, but kind of puts our average of 6000 as one of three clubs in a city of 3 million people into a bit of global perspective.

I almost ripped into CFG not giving a shit about its smaller clubs..... Realised that Mumbai City FC has no affiliation with CFG.

Also I see on their wiki that their stadium only has 8000 capacity

Honestly I would settle for a 12k stadium, Northern Suburbs on a train line.

Edited by haz

7 minutes ago, haz said:

I almost ripped into CFG not giving a shit about its smaller clubs..... Realised that Mumbai City FC has no affiliation with CFG.

Also I see on their wiki that their stadium only has 8000 capacity

image.thumb.png.cfd158f63aded41d43f3e2d50024af40.png

Honestly I would settle for a 12k stadium, Northern Suburbs on a train line.

Exactly, so not only do they have a relatively low attendance, they also leave their ground half-empty. But nobody cares. They don’t see it as a problem at all because the club is stable and the fans they do have are really passionate

Edited by GreenSeater

4 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Exactly, so not only do they have a relatively low attendance, they also leave their ground half-empty. But nobody cares. They don’t see it as a problem at all because the club is stable and the fans they do have are really passionate

I never stress about it, just seems to be an Australian sports wank competition.

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

Unfortunately, playing attractive game won't bring more crowd. It's a long way from top for soccer. 

I disagree but only to an extent. 

If we play attractive football and achieve success, more of our members will turn up and we’d probably convert some casual fans into members. 

Beyond that however I think you’re right. It’s a league-wide problem and it’s going to be a slog for years to come. The independent league is an important piece of the puzzle but it looks like we’re in a holding pattern this year, probably because the deal was struck at the 11th hour and they didn’t have enough time. I’m expecting the league to implement a whole heap of changes for next season when Macarthur joins. 

And then the next big test is when this broadcast deal expires in 2022 I think. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Harrison said:

I disagree but only to an extent. 

If we play attractive football and achieve success, more of our members will turn up and we’d probably convert some casual fans into members. 

Beyond that however I think you’re right. It’s a league-wide problem and it’s going to be a slog for years to come. The independent league is an important piece of the puzzle but it looks like we’re in a holding pattern this year, probably because the deal was struck at the 11th hour and they didn’t have enough time. I’m expecting the league to implement a whole heap of changes for next season when Macarthur joins. 

And then the next big test is when this broadcast deal expires in 2022 I think. 

Agreed. League-wide problem. And changes won't necessarily fix anything either. Not until the clubs and the League actually start listening to what the real fans want.

Edited by jw1739

It's not all doom and gloom but it's just going to be a slow process.

I've been on A-League hiatus for the past 2-3 years but the removal of Joyce plus the addition of Western United and Macarthur to come drew me back in this season, and I've managed to get my gf legitimately interested in the league and often more excited to go to City games than even I am so that's +2 for City games this season. 

The market is there, it's just going to take time to re-win existing fans and attract the next gen of kids of whom many would rather watch EPL at midnight or the NBA on their laptops at uni

22 hours ago, Embee said:

The only way attractive football can be treated as an afterthought is if we are consistently winning.

I think that there's plenty that could be done by the clubs - certainly City - that would engage people and make them feel closer to the club. For example, a birthday card signed by their favourite player to every junior member, a "lucky number" draw for members at each home match, club information on our NYL/WL teams at half-time instead of the drivel that is currently presented, and that old chestnut - one match (at least) against another CFG club each season.

I've got no doubt that we could come up with a long list of add-ons that would make supporters feel closer to the club. The club is trying, no doubt, but at the moment the League is pretty much "take it or leave it " stuff and a lot of people are leaving it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

If he was to score I would be very curious to see how he reacts and what the crowds response would be... 

Runs to the corner flag,  pulls a Voodoo doll of Joyce out of his sock, douses it in petrol before lighting it whilst performing an ancient Uruguayan victory dance.

The terrace, stand up and golf clap while nodding their heads approvingly

Edited by haz
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I think that there's plenty that could be done by the clubs - certainly City - that would engage people and make them feel closer to the club. For example, a birthday card signed by their favourite player to every junior member, a "lucky number" draw for members at each home match, club information on our NYL/WL teams at half-time instead of the drivel that is currently presented, and that old chestnut - one match (at least) against another CFG club each season.

I've got no doubt that we could come up with a long list of add-ons that would make supporters feel closer to the club. The club is trying, no doubt, but at the moment the League is pretty much "take it or leave it " stuff and a lot of people are leaving it.

You are right, there are lots of things the club could do to increase the entertainment value and to make supporters feel included and part of the club. I have always argued for some better half time activities. However I am sure that you like me and others have found that any suggestions put forward get no response. It's almost like they have an attitude of "my way or the highway".

7 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

If he was to score I would be very curious to see how he reacts and what the crowds response would be... 

I think he will be muted if he does that at the Yarra end ... he will run to the Perth fans at the other end ... and the crowd won't give a shit either way.  He's Perth now.... but I do think that at some stage our Active will give him a round of applause. And that's no bad thing.  But we've all moved on. Literally.

7 hours ago, Deluka said:

Good to see Newcastle using the safe smoke, I wonder what the conditions and cost are as not all clubs aren’t using it and those that are don’t seem to be using it week in week out.

Isn't really the "open air" grounds that have used it? I wouldn't be surprised if AAMI Park doesn't allow it

1 hour ago, haz said:

Isn't really the "open air" grounds that have used it? I wouldn't be surprised if AAMI Park doesn't allow it

AFAIK there's no such thing as "safe smoke." In Victoria, the "hay fever capital of the world" many people are sensitive to particulates in the air, irrespective of what they are chemically. And as a former sufferer up in Queensland when I worked there, my experience is that once sensitised it is very difficult to "desensitise."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Play entertaining football, have an authentic identity (bring back red and white), have a news worthy marquee.

There are plenty of city “fans” In Melbourne. They have all just lost interest. It won’t be hard to get fans back it will just be expensive...

• Like 4