Melbourne Football

Milicic gone, two new assistants needed

heart_fan10

Scholes has earned more $ in 2012 than Hoff has (or will) in his A-League career

What is your point?

Of course he has...

His a professional footballer at the most well known club in the world whose achieved everything possible at club level.

Hoffman on the other hand should not be a professional footballer as he has shown over a number of years an inability to play A League football in a variety of positions.

This will be proven by when Hoff's contract is up at the end of next season and we never hear of him again.

Edited by cadete

Former Sydney FC player Hayden Foxe was at Melbourne Heart’s training session yesterday to trial for the assistant manager role left vacant by Ante Milicic.

The 34 year old, who will be at the club for a week, recently completed his coaching license in London at the same time as Heart head coach, John Aloisi.

Foxe was very active in yesterday’s session, running most of the training drills and being the most vocal, while Aloisi took a back seat.

Melbourne Heart have been in the market for an assistant manager since Ante Milicic made the decision to join the new western Sydney franchise.

Today was also the first official senior Melbourne Heart training under Aloisi as head coach.

http://www.mfootball.com.au/foxe-set-to-replace-milicic/

Wouldn't mind if Foxey got the call, bloke is a rolemodel professional, natural leader and was a really underrated player. More notably he forged a decent career in Europe and would have extensive contacts in Europe, compared to A. Milicic with his extensive contacts in Malaysia rofl. Defintiely a significant improvement from Milicic, hopefully Foxey signs on.

• Like 6

Wouldn't mind if Foxey got the call, bloke is a rolemodel professional, natural leader and was a really underrated player. More notably he forged a decent career in Europe and would have extensive contacts in Europe, compared to A. Milicic with his extensive contacts in Malaysia rofl. Defintiely a significant improvement from Milicic, hopefully Foxey signs on.

TBH I agree.

Foxe has always handled himself well as a footballer - but am I the only one that thinks having a coaching set up of 3 (assuming we hire Skoko and Foxe) 40- inexperienced, fresh out of retirement guys who have no real guidance could be a recipe for disaster? Will this benefit or destroy the club in the middle term future?

Perhaps through DoF in the shape of Lawrie McKinna or just someone who has been around the lake a few times in Australian football and could act as a reference point and figure of guidance to 3 talented and hungry coaches at the start of their careers?

Exciting developments nonetheless.

very good point Hendo.

Wasn't too sure when I first heard he was at the club, but now that I think of it he seems a good choice. By the sounds of things from that article, he comes across as very determined, motivated and has something to prove.

Another point to take into consideration is that Foxe would be very valuable to our defensive players. between him and aloisi, we could have 2 experienced, quality 'mentors' in attack and defense who have played at the highest level in their positions. Has the potential to turn out well

I reckon Paul Scholes could still do a job at MH...

Scholes has earned more $ in 2012 than Hoff has (or will) in his A-League career

What is your point?

My point was that while I agree 100% that he could do a job at MH (in playing or coaching capacity), the likelihood of that occurring is nigh on 0.

Maybe my attempted humorous comparison intended to inject some reality to the discussion missed the mark.

• Like 1

Heart expects to finalise its coaching staff within a week, with interviews underway to fill two positions - a senior assistant to replace west Sydney bound Ante Milicic and a youth coach/second assistant to fill John Aloisi's role of last season.

Hayden Foxe, Joe Mullen, Kenny Lowe and Stuart Munro are understood to be the four candidates in contention.

John Didulica refused to discuss names but confirmed that the club was looking to add experience to its coaching staff.

"We don't want to divulge names out of respect to the process but there is a strong focus on bringing in someone who's been in the game for a long period of time and been exposed to the ups and downs of football," Didulica said.

“We've received a lot of interest in the coaching positions (since John van't Schip left) and we'll continue to speak with a number of people with a view to an announcement next week."

Mullen, Lowe or Munro are favoured for the assistant's position while Foxe is a contender for the youth role.

Foxe, the former West Ham, Portsmouth and Socceroos defender, has been completing his UEFA coaching badges alongside Aloisi in the UK.

Mullen is a former teammate of Aloisi's at Adelaide City and has coached at various levels since 1996, including four years as Adelaide United's youth team coach.

WA-based Lowe is also one of this country's great youth trainers, and has enjoyed a stint as Perth Glory assistant.

And Munro, a former NSL coach with South Melbourne and Carlton, joined Perth Glory as assistant last season after several years in the Victorian Premier League with Oakleigh and Dandenong Thunder.

via the Hun.

Stuart Munro used to coach our school's firsts, top bloke. Never realised just how good his credentials were until recently though haha.

Munro and Foxe, would be very happy with. Can't help but feel however that Munro would probably undermine Aloisi with his experience, which could be an issue.

Edited by Che

Football Dep.

Football operations manager: John Didulica

Head coach: John Aloisi

Assistant coach: Mullen/Lowe

Youth Team/2nd Assistant: Hayden Foxe

Goalkeeping coach: Peter Zois

Is this strong enough?

compare it to our Football Department in the first year:

Football operations manager: John Didulica

Head coach: John Van't Schip

Assistant coach: Ante Milicic

2nd Assistant: Jesper olsen

Goalkeeping coach: Peter Zois

Edited by heart_fan10

My problem with this saga is that it was all so completely unnecessary. What should have happened was for Milicic, who had a year to run on his original contract, to take over as Head Coach for 2012-13, with Aloisi promoted to be his Assistant. Then bring in Foxe as the NYL Coach. At the end of 2012-13 there would have been two options. Depending on where the club finished the season and on what the Board wanted for the future, we could have either retained Milicic or released him. We would have had continuity, and consequently been far more prepared for 2012-13 than we are now. As it is we have been made to look at worst incompetent and at best ponderously slow and indecisive.

• Like 6

My problem with this saga is that it was all so completely unnecessary. What should have happened was for Milicic, who had a year to run on his original contract, to take over as Head Coach for 2012-13, with Aloisi promoted to be his Assistant. Then bring in Foxe as the NYL Coach. At the end of 2012-13 there would have been two options. Depending on where the club finished the season and on what the Board wanted for the future, we could have either retained Milicic or released him. We would have had continuity, and consequently been far more prepared for 2012-13 than we are now. As it is we have been made to look at worst incompetent and at best ponderously slow and indecisive.

Despite the common conception that we chose Aloisi for marketing purposes, I think the bigger reason was that he was the cheaper option. I'd say Milicic probably thought he was worth a fair bit more for JA, and asked for a bigger pay check.

Whilst you obviously can't make a profit with a continual loss, continuity on a solid foundation is important for a club like ours which is still building from a basic base both from a coaching/playing perspective and that of supporters. At the moment we look like we have no idea (or perhaps it is me). The Milicic-Aloisi option seems to have been the best but those in power decided on JA and???. They need to get it right or we will have a lot of catch up to do.

So we need a new GK coach?

In one off-season we've churned through our entire coaching team and about half our playing squad.

wouldnt be so sure he has played for them in our off season whilst still being GK coach dont see much of a difference if he is playing or coaching there

How important is a GK coach and what's the basis of his employment? Full-time or part-time? What sort of say does he have in recruitment of GKs for the junior and senior squads, and match squad selection etc? Another area where we haven't exactly excelled ourselves over the past two seasons. After young Chris Maynard received rave reviews we didn't get him on board, and then we had duds Roganovic and Mattei restricting Tom Dunn to very little action in the NYL - I shall be really p***** off if we let this young lad go because I rate him highly. Getting despondent again about our ability to make sound decisions...

did a clinic with Zois last year. (not a goalkeeping one, just one with my old primary school, and i went there to help out.)

got this from one of his helpers:

'Keepers tried out but none of them were better than him! we are still going through it though.'

so practically Roganovic and Mattei were signed without being better than Zois.

as for his coaching, i dont know, but he's a nice guy, and very intimidating!

Ozsportsinsider is a pain in the butt. He's been saying that Ron Smith will join the Heart coaching team (to do video analysis) since early June. He's also saying that John Didulica is applying for a job at the PFA. He's also saying that we will use Gol Gol as our key striker next season...

AFAIK the Heart Board met yesterday (Tuesday) to sign off on the coaching positions. I would think we will see an announcement shortly once pens have been put to papers.

Just having a look at Smith's background, I think he sounds good. Very experienced. Has worked as both a senior coach and headed the AIS program when we produced the best young players we ever have. During that period he coached Aloisi, Foxe, Colosimo, and Bolton, so it's potentially useful that he already has some familiarity with our coaches and senior players. His relationship with Aloisi and Foxe in particular might help as a mentor type figure for the new coaches. His years of working with young players will fit with our ethos of promoting youth. He's been the Technical Manager for the socceroos including under Hiddink, and has game analysis expertise. Failed as coach of Perth Glory a few years ago, but it seems the club had plenty of problems at the time making it hard to get results.

I hope sports insider is wrong about other stuff, but I'm currently on the Smith bandwagon. There's absolutely no doubt he's the right guy because a quick Wikipedia check is a flawless way to choose a coach. Although my opinion could change tomorrow if I decide to look at the other candidates.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 5

If reports are true, the acquisitions of Smith is HUGE! This man, in my opinion, knows more about technical football than anyone in Australia.

Remember it was the FFA that asked him to go to Glory to help them. So disregard his performance at Glory. Even Fergi couldn't have saved Glory then.

If its true, its a bit like Eade with Collingwood.