Melbourne Football

Milicic gone, two new assistants needed

heart_fan10

Can't help feeling that this saga gets worse and worse, and it reflects poorly on the club. Wouldn't surprise me if it is affecting decisions by players whether or not to sign for us, and other coaches thinking about joining us. It will do nothing positive for membership and sponsorship. It is all self-inflicted. We took far too long to appoint a new senior coach in the first place, and from the moment we appointed Aloisi over Milicic it was inevitable that the latter would leave. He had to, his position was untenable, and anyone with any self-respect would have done the same. West Sydney just made it easier for him to leave. Now we appear to expect him to work out his notice. What on earth for? What are we seeking to gain? What point are we trying to make? What score is someone trying to settle?

Quite frankly, we don't need this going on. It's a pointless distraction. The focus needs to be on preparation for next season in the A-League. Getting the right squad, some hard training and a tough pre-season schedule so we hit the season running.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

While the journo is trying to make out that Milicic is being held against his will, isn't it possible that he's been asked to do a job while Aloisi is overseas and we have no other coaches? And being close to Aloisi, he's prepared to help out until we appoint a replacement? Or at least until he gets back?

I don't know, but it's uncharacteristic of the club to stand in someone's way if they have opportunities elsewhere - well players at least. Even contracted ones. And it seems uncharacteristic for the club to be vindictive towards other clubs by making someone sit out and do nothing for three months just because we can. Like someone said, it seems likely this will last until there's a replacement, or at least until JA is back.

Everyone is assuming that Milicic is pissed off, but we don't know what he's feeling other than he wants an opportunity elsewhere. Sometimes when you quit a job, you walk out. But sometimes, you still like the place, or at least some of the people in it, and are happy to stay and make sure things don't fall apart until they get a replacement.

• Like 1

This situation makes us look rather amateurish. Surely a professional football club has coaches it can use. How can we be caught so short? Now we have someone only staying because he has to rather than being enthusiastic about the job. Also the players know the person in charge is not staying and is in fact focusing on the job he has to do with a competing squad. This situation was forseeable and should not have been allowed to eventuate. Amateure league stuff!

At least Ante has been professional throughout and I hope this move works out well for him.

Edited by Peter

I agree, it looks like we've dropped the ball so far on our coaching set-up.

On the one hand, the quicker we get an assistant in and let Milicic go, the better. But we also need to make sure we appoint the right person, even if that process takes time. And I assume JA will have to be back to be part of the decision making process. We should've been thinking about the alternatives ealier.

It looks a bit shabby at the moment, but we can still rectify it by getting the right people in.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/heart-delay-milicics-start-at-west-sydney-20120529-1zh0v.html

Heart's chief executive Scott Munn now says Milicic won't be starting his job as assistant to head coach Tony Popovic until August 22.

"Ante put in his notification of resignation last week and in his employment contract he has a three months notification period," Munn explained on Tuesday.

"So he's going to fulfil the requirements of his contract and then he'll move on.

"We didn't say in the release last week that he would be staying for another three months because it's of no real interest.

"At the end of the day there was speculation about him going so we wanted to be clear that he had resigned and that he was moving on."

The delay will mean Popovic will be without help for the first two months of the pre-season but Munn insists the terms of Milicic's Heart contract were always out in the open.

Munn admitted the Heart were open to compromise should the west Sydney franchise wish to negotiate.

"Ante made it clear to the FFA when they were talking about the west Sydney job that he had a three months notification period and I personally spoke to (west Sydney executive chairman) Lyall Gorman prior to us sending out the release that he had left, so it's no surprise," Munn said.

"We're open to any negotiations but I haven't heard from Lyall or anyone from their end yet.

"When he signed the agreement with the FFA for the new club we told them that we didn't have a replacement for him, particularly because we'd promoted from within, so we were short on coaches and we required his services.

"But if we appoint someone and they can start earlier or there are other set-ups to explore, then we'd be happy to do it."

West Sydney are yet to announce Milicic's signing as the team's assistant coach, with Gorman last week adamant he is yet to put pen to paper.

But Munn insists Milicic told him he had penned a deal.

"I either have to believe what Ante is telling me or call him a liar," Munn said.

"But having worked with him I know he's the most credible, honest person I've ever met and I'm pretty confident he's telling the truth."

Going on from what is mentioned in the press it seems that Gorman and West Sydney are playing games and not Heart.

Milicic has a contract and Heart are two coaches down...........If West Sydney want him then they can fork out some compensation to release him earlier if that is the case.

Heart had released Beauchamp and Heffernan from their contracts last year so we are not that amatuerish as some people have been making out....

I would just point to the following sentence in SM's statement:

"We didn't say in the release last week that he would be staying for another three months because it's of no real interest."

I would have thought that Milicic staying another three months was decidedly of interest to Heart fans. Also it puts a completely different perspective on the whole business.

Never mind. We just wait now for the appointments of an Assistant Coach and an NYL Coach.

Edited by jw1739

Millicic to Western Sydney? Popovic as coach?

Hey FFA are you LISTENING?!? There is more nationalties out here then just Cros!!!

FFA say they are against ethnic clubs but they are trying to make another Sydney Croatia club with this franchise, whislt they ignore the likes of NSL powerhouses Olympic and Marconi from entering.

FFA we are here and waiting. Open up the door and let us in!!!

• Like 2

Mate, what are you doing on our forums? I understand your grievances, but we aren't the people to share them with. Nothing we can do for olympic and no one from the FFA reads these forums. Go write a rational letter or email and ensure a higher up at the FFA reads it. Don't bitch and moan here cause it won't help you.

Mate, what are you doing on our forums? I understand your grievances, but we aren't the people to share them with. Nothing we can do for olympic and no one from the FFA reads these forums. Go write a rational letter or email and ensure a higher up at the FFA reads it. Don't bitch and moan here cause it won't help you.

Rational email? or letter??

Hello, racist FFA doesn't listen to them!! They don't care for the ethnic clubs which built this game! Look at how they keep trying to kill us!

Since the Z-League has started they put a gag on all ethnic clubs. We no longer have a voice in the game, or a medium to talk and garner more intrest for our club. The FFA controls all the media and doesn't want the WOGS heard. We post on diffrent websites to get our club HEARD. If it wasn't for the Olympic Ultras no-one would know of the huge crowds and great achievements being made at Belmore every week

Look, what I am saying is realted to this topic. Ante should not be coaching there. They are stuffing up the West Sydney franchise and are going to ruin another football heartland

Z-League fans need to wake up and demand that profitable stable clubs be promoted to the Z-League over start up money franchises

Rational email? or letter??

Hello, racist FFA doesn't listen to them!! They don't care for the ethnic clubs which built this game! Look at how they keep trying to kill us!

Since the Z-League has started they put a gag on all ethnic clubs. We no longer have a voice in the game, or a medium to talk and garner more intrest for our club. The FFA controls all the media and doesn't want the WOGS heard. We post on diffrent websites to get our club HEARD. If it wasn't for the Olympic Ultras no-one would know of the huge crowds and great achievements being made at Belmore every week

Look, what I am saying is realted to this topic. Ante should not be coaching there. They are stuffing up the West Sydney franchise and are going to ruin another football heartland

Z-League fans need to wake up and demand that profitable stable clubs be promoted to the Z-League over start up money franchises

A-League*

Not sure what kind of sympathy you expect from us, the death of the ethnic clubs gave us our club. I respect the history, but the days of the ethnic clubs in the top national competition are dead. Like I said in the other thread, you are 7 years too late, the FFA decided that they would move away from the ethnic clubs (even though 2 of the teams they let into the A-League were questionable), they cant start including ethnic clubs now.

I do agree they shouldnt have appointed 2 croatians in the manager and assistant positions, and even posted on here before they did that it would be a mistake. They have alienated a lot of potential fans by doing that.

A-League*

I do agree they shouldnt have appointed 2 croatians in the manager and assistant positions, and even posted on here before they did that it would be a mistake. They have alienated a lot of potential fans by doing that.

The "two Croatians" who have both played for AUSTRALIA and sound at least somewhat Aussie when you hear them speak. Any alienation should be gone when Western Sydney's playing roster is full. Already Chiperfield and Bridge (hardly Croatian) have been announced as possible/probable signings. Put a few Greek, Asian etc. names, based on merit of course, and I don't think Western Sydney will have any problems as an Australian club playing in the Australian league.

Also Western Sydney have one more coach than we do, and good on them.

p.s. I still have fond memorys of the NSL watching the likes of Morwell Falcons, Marconi, Olympic, West Adelaide, Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney Croatia, Preston Macedonia etc.

Sory, a bit delayed. What do you mean Cadet?

I know nothing of Jan Dobson, maybe you do? Just going by his track record.

He is no Stuart Munroe, (who probably had a lot of input to Perth's success than Furguson ) but obviously does something right.