Melbourne Football

Matchday 4: v Wellington Phoenix - Sunday 3rd November 4.00pm at AAMI Park

Nate

The downside of this penalty debate is that it overshadows our performance, with the 3-2 score line in mind it looks like we gotten lucky.

I see comments about people saying that Fentons arm shouldn’t be out, I hope we all realise that it’s almost impossible to sprint with your arms along your body - it’s not how our body mechanics work. 

I do support the decision if the ball really hit his arm. Ball on arm away from body = penalty. Just like at hockey, take away the discussion.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 2

The second Wellington goal would've been a non event if we weren't 2 goals up and pushing for a 4th, if it was 2-1 I doubt Jamo would've been up trying to score a goal in the 90th minute. 

Big Griff deserves a lot of credit for controlling the middle, with 2 young guys going at a million miles an hour some times he knew when to stick his foot on it and retain possession. 

13 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I see comments about people saying that Fentons arm shouldn’t be out, I hope we all realise that’s it’s almost impossible to sprint with your arms along your body - it’s not how our body mechanics work. 

Yes, we'd look like a bunch of Irish river dancers!

One thing that still concerns me about our performance is our crossing accuracy. Our overall passing accuracy was 85%, however our crossing accuracy was only 16% Jamieson is a major contributor to this inaccuracy. 

7 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Yes, we'd look like a bunch of Irish river dancers!

One thing that still concerns me about our performance is our crossing accuracy. Our overall passing accuracy was 85%, however our crossing accuracy was only 16% Jamieson is a major contributor to this inaccuracy. 

Don’t you forget Jamo’s only good career cross against Victory!

14 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

It’s part of our game plan to cross or cut in early. This also results in that we see often a cross going whilst only having one striker in the box vs 3 or 4 defenders.

10 hours ago, citypool said:

Really good game just disappointed with the crowd I want this club to be successful on and off the pitch and if we can’t get a crowd on Friday night I’m really worried tbh

It's really quite simple, and I don't know why people are going on about it. We all knew that a lot of damage was done to the club last season under Warren Joyce, and what we are seeing now is the result of that plus an apathy towards the league in general. Once people start to lose interest it's pretty hard to get it back again.

I think we need a little perspective on yesterday's performance. 

We were playing a team on zero points. I think I can remember 3 different players falling over during the game. When I say falling over, I mean going to ground basically down to being unco.

Wellington are very poor and we made look good especially at the start of both halves.

We definitely had key players out and the replacements were super. We played pro actively and so far this season we are miles ahead of last 2.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

The downside of this penalty debate is that it overshadows our performance, with the 3-2 score line in mind it looks like we gotten lucky.

I see comments about people saying that Fentons arm shouldn’t be out, I hope we all realise that it’s almost impossible to sprint with your arms along your body - it’s not how our body mechanics work. 

I do support the decision if the ball really hit his arm. Ball on arm away from body = penalty. Just like at hockey, take away the discussion.

Yes that's the frustrating part. I know we benefited from the penalty but I'd much prefer to win a match 'fairly'. In saying that though, champions need to win and sometimes you can only do that with a bit of luck here and there.

As for the penalty, the rules are a bit confusing but it's clear in this situation. The ball was kicked into his chest and it then hit his arm. That isn't a penalty. It could be a penalty if the ball was kicked directly into his arm and the referee thought his arm was making his body 'unnaturally bigger'. But the ball into the chest first is the key part of the discussion. 

And I note that it was the referee's and the VAR's first A-League match. 

• Like 1

Ok, so the pen was probably the wrong decision but to say it influenced the game is BS for mine... and because they scored a cheap goal with a minute to go shouldn't put the focus back on that decision.

I hope Fenton gets sanctioned for his post match behaviour. Yeah it was stiff, but to carry on like he did when getting interviewed was plain pathetic.  

Summary of the game is that we crawled over the line against the worst team in the league.

Lucky for us because at least our youth got some space.

Good game for Genreau, Metcalfe to stretch their legs where they both had solid games.

Good, Brilliante and Griffiths dominated the defensive middle and Jamo and Galloway were threats in attack.

Noone is quality but was getting frustrated at times with the delivery and Wales poses no threat to the opposition with poor vision and disposal of the ball.

Najjarine and Najjar are not very good.

That last sub Colakovski looks McLaren-like and should be on the pine in the future.

Congratulations to the young players

Win is a win and CCM this week after their win over Perth will be a good test.

12 minutes ago, rass said:

Ok, so the pen was probably the wrong decision but to say it influenced the game is BS for mine... and because they scored a cheap goal with a minute to go shouldn't put the focus back on that decision.

I hope Fenton gets sanctioned for his post match behaviour. Yeah it was stiff, but to carry on like he did when getting interviewed was plain pathetic.  

He'll get sanctioned for certain but nah, I loved the post-match spray. Shows that he really cares and genuine raw passion in the A-League is the last thing that should be berated in my opinion.

Beats the robotic "we were unlucky but we'll be back next week" cliche peddled so often.

• Like 1

Their keeper made two very good saves and one lucky save in the second half, it could very easily have been 5-2 or 6-2.

Enough hand-wringing over a penalty GIVEN TO  US.  Sheesh. Stuff happens in football all over. 

Shocking attendance.  The damage done by Joyce just in time for the arrival of WU may take a WINNING season or two to repair.

36 minutes ago, Harrison said:

The ball was kicked into his chest and it then hit his arm. That isn't a penalty

Exactly.

It was plain to see on the replay and the refs don't know the rules because if they did then the decision wouldn't have stood.

Obviously Fenton knew the rules better than those that are responsible for enforcing them.

They both should be suspended without pay for incompetence.

37 minutes ago, Nate said:

He'll get sanctioned for certain but nah, I loved the post-match spray. Shows that he really cares and genuine raw passion in the A-League is the last thing that should be berated in my opinion.

Beats the robotic "we were unlucky but we'll be back next week" cliche peddled so often.

You can be passionate and care without swearing like a spoilt brat on tv. I thought his behaviour was immature - he had at least half an hour between that incident and the interview - he could have made his point so many different ways, but he chose to grandstand like a sulk. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

Ref was very poor throughout the game. Steven Taylor was lucky to stay on the pitch, he loves to throw his elbows and weight around. Landed one on Ramy that drew blood and nothing was done, thought VAR would've taken a look at it as Ramy went off for treatment. 

Also an interesting replay and TV comment on one foul that Piscopo won. Essentially he ran into the City player and then threw himself to the ground. That's not to say some City challenges weren't worthy of sanction, but the overall impression was of one eyed refereeing, which ignored poor Wellington challenges (their German bloke could have been off for two challenges, both of which arguably looked card worthy) and some canny play acting.

So I've limited sympathy for the hand wringing over the penalty. It was a poor refereeing performance, but City were by far the better side and deserved the points.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Also an interesting replay and TV comment on one foul that Piscopo won. Essentially he ran into the City player and then threw himself to the ground. That's not to say some City challenges weren't worthy of sanction, but the overall impression was of one eyed refereeing, which ignored poor Wellington challenges (their German bloke could have been off for two challenges, both of which arguably looked card worthy) and some canny play acting.

So I've limited sympathy for the hand wringing over the penalty. It was a poor refereeing performance, but City were by far the better side and deserved the points.

My thoughts entirely.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

It's really quite simple, and I don't know why people are going on about it. We all knew that a lot of damage was done to the club last season under Warren Joyce, and what we are seeing now is the result of that plus an apathy towards the league in general. Once people start to lose interest it's pretty hard to get it back again.

It's not a timing problem, it's an inaccuracy problem

2 hours ago, fensaddler said:

To quote David Lynch (SMH/Age) "the closeness of the scoreline flattered the visitors". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mus-28 said:

The second Wellington goal would've been a non event if we weren't 2 goals up and pushing for a 4th, if it was 2-1 I doubt Jamo would've been up trying to score a goal in the 90th minute. 

Big Griff deserves a lot of credit for controlling the middle, with 2 young guys going at a million miles an hour some times he knew when to stick his foot on it and retain possession. 

Oath.

the big bloke was my MOM.

———-

in regards to Colovaski yes it was a good debut, but by then Nix were chasing the game and thus the field was a lot more open for him than it had been.

Edited by Shahanga

On 03/11/2019 at 4:52 PM, Shahanga said:

Mate.

hes a young kid sandwiched between Taylor and De Vere, 2 of the most experienced campaigners in the A league. They aren’t giving him a lot of change.

having said that his inexperience is showing, needs to run them around a bit more, but I can tell you that’s a hard ducking gig he’s got.

FWIW i'm very flippant with my comments whilst watching the game, I will say however so far in all seriousness I haven't been impressed by Najar with the few opportunities he has been given.

He may come good as the weeks go on but so far, just not up to it atm