Melbourne Football

Matchday 4: v Wellington Phoenix - Sunday 3rd November 4.00pm at AAMI Park

Nate

Good opportunity for Mr Warmfarts to come up with solution. 

Maclaren had been the difference in all our games played, the 2 that he had no influence,  Rd1 int duty and Cup final well marked we struggled. 

So a period without him could be just what we need long term, give Najjar 2 or 3 games and who knows we could be saying Jamie who?

Most Likely a 0:0.

Old city would dominate the game but lack the final ball and finish without Jamie. Wellington sit back and counter, scoring from their only chance of the game.

Need the boys to maintain the spirit shown yesterday, and for our attackers to step up and score.

Edited by bellydrum
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, dconder13 said:

What’s the go with Cabrera? And how far away is Florin?

He's about a Germano away from playing.

All that optimism from last games result now gone with the McLaren injury.

Hoping Najar starts and can grab one, otherwise it'll be up to our wingers (noone in particular) to score.

0-0 all draw I'm picking

Luna - Wales - Noone

Genreau - Brillante
Griffiths

Jamieson - Good - Windbichler - Galloway

Bouzanis

Wales was actually pretty decent before being tactically subbed. He'll re-find his finishing touch soon enough if he keeps finding himself in the positions he does. 

Also hoping either one of Luna or Cabrera starts as Wellington is as good a team as any to actually see what the two Uruguayans are made of. 

Edited by Nate

17 hours ago, Nate said:

Luna - Wales - Noone

Genreau - Brillante
Griffiths

Jamieson - Good - Windbichler - Galloway

Bouzanis

Wales was actually pretty decent before being tactically subbed. He'll re-find his finishing touch soon enough if he keeps finding himself in the positions he does. 

Also hoping either one of Luna or Cabrera starts as Wellington is as good a team as any to actually see what the two Uruguayans are made of. 

I’d go with something like this push hard with the press 

099A54F9-16FD-48BC-9D03-32B0B7C1E104.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

I’d go with something like this push hard with the press 

099A54F9-16FD-48BC-9D03-32B0B7C1E104.jpeg

It’ll be a 4-3-3 with Wales up front and Cabrera on a wing. Or Najjar up front and Wales on a wing. Maybe Luna, Najjarine or Atkinson out wide but that would surprise.

Not sure we change the midfield either. Brillante stays so one of Griffiths or Genreau drop out for Metcalfe but that would be harsh.

Defence is an easy one. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Harrison said:

It’ll be a 4-3-3 with Wales up front and Cabrera on a wing. Or Najjar up front and Wales on a wing. Maybe Luna, Najjarine or Atkinson out wide but that would surprise.

Not sure we change the midfield either. Brillante stays so one of Griffiths or Genreau drop out for Metcalfe but that would be harsh.

Defence is an easy one. 

Defence is a lock. And I think he is basically a 433 man.

I think he might go with Griffiths as the #6 and Brillante and Metcalfe as 2 #8s.

Upfront I think he will stay with Noone on the right and Wales on the left as the inverted wingers to give Galloway and Jamieson the space and I think he might try Genreau or Luna as a sort of false 9 or advanced #10. 

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 1

I've been thinking about this all day (yes my job is highly exciting) and I'm playing Wales over Najjar up front. Wales has the pace like maclaren to get in behind Taylor and Devete, meaning our game plan shouldn't change too much

Noone has to stay on the right, he looked good on that side and the Wellington LB was all at sea when Ikonomidis ran at him last week. 

That leaves a spot on the left, for either Luna, Cabrera or Najjarine I guess 

I'm keeping the midfield the same as last week, Genreau was too good not to give him another start

Defence is straight forward, Windbichler replaces Delbo

• Like 1

We will create chances with our style of play but it's a matter of finishing them. We're losing the league's best finisher for a month, so we need to manufacture very good (high xG) chances if we want to maintain our GF average because I can't see too many goals coming from Wales and Najjar with the chances we've been making. 

I note that only one match has had more than two goals scored by one team so far and that the highest winning margin has only been one goal. Teams are defending quite well this year. 

Craig Noone is key here I think. I think it comes down to mentality as well.

In the FFA Cup run in particular against NPL teams - he must have come in with the mindset of these guys are minnows, I'll dominate. The goals scored were pretty much all outside the box shots. I can't really remember any outside of the box shooting in the A League games. Think he just needs to start thinking he's a notch above again and take "audacious" shots - ie. in a good position outside the box and top corner. 

Unless the gaffer has instructed to walk the ball in the net...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Originalmeme said:

Still got a bit to go.

Remember when we had heaps out and we brought in 1 or 2 game injury replacement.

This game has 0:0 written all over it. 

On 31/10/2019 at 10:45 PM, pattyd89 said:

Craig Noone is key here I think. I think it comes down to mentality as well.

In the FFA Cup run in particular against NPL teams - he must have come in with the mindset of these guys are minnows, I'll dominate.

I've been watching him closely and been underwhelmed.  i wonder if, with EPL on his CV, he thought the A-League in general would be a cakewalk?  

He has been found out under pressure quite often.  Definitely time for him to step up.  See you at the game. 

15 minutes ago, CityWildcat said:

I've been watching him closely and been underwhelmed.  i wonder if, with EPL on his CV, he thought the A-League in general would be a cakewalk?  

He has been found out under pressure quite often.  Definitely time for him to step up.  See you at the game. 

He's done better as an inverted winger

• Thanks 1