Melbourne Football

2012-13 Membership

hakz7

Ticker12 & jw1739: We are more than happy to hear all the fans views and ideas and take some of them forward. Why don' t you send me (Dave Lyon) an email/call the club and you can share your positive thoughts. I don't actually know you, so it would be a pleasant introduction. The club are always looking to seek the ideas of fans and be as open as possible. The door is always open so get in touch and make things happen.

That's the positive start. Now, how do we make sure that engagement between supporters and the club works. What David is suggesting is a one way communication, i.e. fans contacting club. Are we going to get a feedback from you in some form? My suggestion:

- Joint group between RWU and YS to act as ambassador between fans and the club

- Pinned topic on the forum for raising issues\suggestions\etc. Moderators to clean up general winging and "sack" calls

I know it's not ideal, feel free to come up with better ideas.

Here's something from left field but anyway, my younger brother (aged 11), plays junior cricket. Anyway he got a free membership with a couple of freebies thrown in from the Melbourne renegades. What the renegades has done is give away 1000's of junior memberships to junior clubs, so they can give it to their junior players. I think this is a fantastic idea for a couple of reasons. My brother was Melbourne stars fan last year, but now has changed to the renegades. I think if heart did this we could convince young kids (8-12) who once went for victory to go for heart by giving them a free membership. All so seeing my brother now wants to go to games, one parent, probably my dad will be forced to come and watch their games. So again if heart do this we get kids wanting to come, forcing parent/s and maybe siblings to come to our games too. Even though our sport and cricket are completely different I think it would be a fantastic idea for heart to give away free junior memberships to junior football (soccer) clubs. It will benefit us greatly. Just my opinion.

That's the positive start. Now, how do we make sure that engagement between supporters and the club works. What David is suggesting is a one way communication, i.e. fans contacting club. Are we going to get a feedback from you in some form? My suggestion:

- Pinned topic on the forum for raising issues\suggestions\etc. Moderators to clean up general winging and "sack" calls

As I've said before, if the club would like to canvass ideas from members about a whole range of things, do it via the weekly e-mail. Set the boundaries, ask some questions, give the reply mechanism, and go from there. That way you will receive feedback from many more members than the handful who contribute to this forum.

Otherwise, 'skillmaster' is just another avatar on an internet forum.

Now this idea would probs be almost impossible to pull off, with heaps of loopholes, but hear me out.

For next season, every time those with a membership scan their card for a game, a discount is put on their following years' membership.

For instance, every time a card is scanned, $2 is deducted from the price of the next years membership for that fan. This would result in a total discount of around $20-$30 if all matches are attended, can't be fucked doing the maths. The club just decides how much value a fans' attendance is compared to cash income. This gives fans a reason to attend games, and entices them to continue purchasing memberships.

Like I said, most likely impossible to do, especially with our administration, but thought I may aswell raise it.

• Like 4

I don't think David is suggesting a one-way communication but that he wants to start getting feedback. What I would like to see from the initial meeting is a PLAN for better fan engagement. A map of how we can get our ideas to the club and how the club responds. A two-way process or else it's doomed. Like has been said before, the club has sent our questionnaires in the past but has anybody been informed as to what the results were?

I'd like to see a whole lot more input from fans on marketing. A lot of ideas here but no response from the club. Are we happy being the underdogs in this town? The clubs needs to spruik and act with big ambitions real quick - our reputation as the 'nice' club isn't working. We need to be on the front foot and have a crack at MV on the pitch and in the media just like Geoff Lord's comments in fourfourtwo in Dec 2011 - “What they should do is move Heart out of town and stick them out at [Geelong's] Kardinia [Park] or somewhere, or Casey [the outer suburbs of Melbourne]."

• Like 2

Now this idea would probs be almost impossible to pull off, with heaps of loopholes, but hear me out.

For next season, every time those with a membership scan their card for a game, a discount is put on their following years' membership.

For instance, every time a card is scanned, $2 is deducted from the price of the next years membership for that fan. This would result in a total discount of around $20-$30 if all matches are attended, can't be fucked doing the maths. The club just decides how much value a fans' attendance is compared to cash income. This gives fans a reason to attend games, and entices them to continue purchasing memberships.

Like I said, most likely impossible to do, especially with our administration, but thought I may aswell raise it.

Not an IT expert, but would depend on what linkages (if any) could be made between AAMI Park and Heart systems. Nice idea though. Rather like store 'loyalty' programs.

HWhat the renegades has done is give away 1000's of junior memberships to junior clubs, so they can give it to their junior players. I think this is a fantastic idea for a couple of reasons. My brother was Melbourne stars fan last year, but now has changed to the renegades. I think if heart did this we could convince young kids (8-12) who once went for victory to go for heart by giving them a free membership. All so seeing my brother now wants to go to games, one parent, probably my dad will be forced to come and watch their games. So again if heart do this we get kids wanting to come, forcing parent/s and maybe siblings to come to our games too. Even though our sport and cricket are completely different I think it would be a fantastic idea for heart to give away free junior memberships to junior football (soccer) clubs. It will benefit us greatly. Just my opinion.

The club's already done this before.

was it a once off? did we stop?

I think its an ongoing thing, I.e. every time the club conducts a training session, visits a school or makes connections with suburban clubs they give young participants a membership. Met a few mums who said their kids now follow Heart because of this.

Don't think it ever stops, but probably scales back once the season starts as player availability lessens,

Well they don't seem like they are turning up.

Is it the right market? Do we just give them a membership then nothing? That won't achieve much in that case.

The club really need to think about how they do things.

I seem to remember a large Asian community for a sponsor at a game a year or two ago, cannot remember the exact details, they were there and then, gone.

Always good to have initiatives, but they are useless if there is no follow up on them. People are just not going to turn up to a Melbourne Heart game. You have got to be persistent and keep at them. If you simply hand them a membership,you have to follow up, do something that will attract them to the game and retain them as a fan.How about sitting them in a "family area" right on the opposite wing and have them stay after the game and meet the players and the mascot? Make it an experience these kids won't forget? At the same time for that game, you pack out an area on TV that looks bare, gives people watching the game a perspective and these kids with an experience like that will want to keep coming back. Give them bloody show bags after the game with stickers and badges and a pencil case. It will attract their friends to come also.

Define ourselves.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all, first post here. A friend and I are keen to get memberships active support. We are both female and not too sure if we should take the punt. Any suggestions and also if we were to go ahead, whlaty are the reserved seating arrangements for the m/ship? Cheers

I am female so I will give you a proper response! Active membership is a good option. You will get a reserved seat number on it, but no one really sits in their assigned seat. In active, you have the option of standing and singing with Yarraside, or sitting just next to Yarraside, where you don't have to sing/ stand all game. You can also sit in general admission further back, or up the other end with an active membership.

Hi all, first post here. A friend and I are keen to get memberships active support. We are both female and not too sure if we should take the punt. Any suggestions and also if we were to go ahead, whlaty are the reserved seating arrangements for the m/ship? Cheers

I say get active because it is same price as general admission im pretty sure and it gives you the option of joining in with Yarraside during games, while with GA you would only sit at the back or sides

Guess I'm doing a disservice then. I enjoy sitting in the active bay next to Yarraside. It is very spacious for all games apart from the derby, yet you are still close and can join in chants.

Which is why the 2 bays along side should be G/A for those like Nat and our Bay should go all the way to the back. For active support. Those 2 bays are always half empty because only Active members are supposed to sit there when they should be filled with GA members that like to support like that.

Is my opinion anyway.

Active allows you to go and sit in GA areas if you like. If you have a GA mship you won't be et in to the Activr area because ACG/Melb Olympic Park Trust wants to keep tabs on everyone in there.

If you buy an active mship, come and say hello to us all at the pub and get involved. The more the merrier.

Just don't stop singing and never sit down.

• Like 1