Melbourne Football

This Squad is Rubbish - Convince me otherwise

CityHeart

What a bloody useless bunch of muppets they have thrown together this season.

Severely concerned with the lack of creativity - we do not even look like scoring outside of Mclaren and you cant survive in this league on defense. The quality just isnt there (obviously), plus half of our defenders are no good.

We got our guys in early, were ahead of the curve in the league and caught teams under prepared so far. We still dont look good, even though we have won a game and made the final of a mickey mouse competition. Outside of all of the imports being invisible,  I said last season Najjar is no good and he seems to be our forward backup. Najjarine aint much better...how we could not play then lose birigits for this BUM of a No1 I will never know. We deserve to fold on this alone. People are waiting for the mother of all bananaramas in Florin to come back - LOL. 

I have fears we could be looking at bottom 4, and heaven forbid something happens to Maclaren bottom two or even the spoon. This squad is not built for this league. No pace, no strength, no hunger/desire to work past obvious skill deficiencies due to the standard. 

There is obviously a massive issue that runs deep. Either CFG have too much say and have no idea about the local league...or the locals on the ground here they are relying on are absolutely useless and stealing a salary.

We need the BEST POSSIBLE A-league proven coach to come in towards the back end of the season, see what we have then have the authority to go to town to build his own list. Keeping Joyce for the year, and now replacing him with another bloke who knows nothing about this league surrounding by mupppets who know not much more has just wasted another off season, a bunch of coin and another season. What is worse we may have committed too long to these imports - none of which I rate. 

Come at me, and please tell me I have this wrong. This is the worst I have felt for this club since inception, and that is saying something.

• Haha 2

I’m not even that disappointed after last night, I’m realistic. We struggled against proper opposition all preseason (bar the undermanned Wanderers team), we were never going to be world beaters.

For me the key succes in this league at present day is still your visa and marquee players. Let’s face it, currently we only have player in Maclaren who fits that stature. Season after season we only manage to get good value out of 1 or 2 of those.  Players like Luna and Cabrera should be hand picked by the coach to build a team around, not sure if that has happened. Florin and Jamie were already here.

Our forward strategy seems to be quick balls forward and early crosses hoping that Jamie will run at one of them.

Edited by Mr MO

3 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

High crosses to Jamie is laughable choice. 

At least he isn't Mifsud.

I don't agree that it's a disaster. I'm concerned about Luna, Cabrera and Florin, none of whom have added too much over a local alternative, but I'm prepared to give the Uruguayans a bit more time. Luna, for instance, has been struggling to get a visa for his child

4 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I’m not even that disappointed after last night, I’m realistic. We struggled against proper opposition all preseason (bar the undermanned Wanderers team), we were never going to be world beaters.

For me the key succes in this league at present day is still your visa and marquee players. Let’s face it, currently we only have player in Maclaren who fits that stature. Season after season we only manage to get good value out of 1 or 2 of those.  Players like Luna and Cabrera should be hand picked by the coach to build a team around, not sure if that had happened. Florin and Jamie were already here.

Our forward strategy seems to be quick balls forward and early crosses hoping that Jamie will run at one of them.

It’s an interesting one. Were Luna and Cabrera picked by Petrillo? It’s far from ideal if that was the case. Ideally a manager will have some say in the player or at least the type of player that will work in the system. Square pegs, round holes and all of that.  

Petrillo might not pick them all but I’m not convinced he’s the best person for the job. 

Still early days for the foreign players. Definitely need to improve because we can’t go through the season with only two or three foreigners on the pitch as much as I like the talents of Najjarine and Metcalfe.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

For me the key succes in this league at present day is still your visa and marquee players. Let’s face it, currently we only have player in Maclaren who fits that stature. Season after season we only manage to get good value out of 1 or 2 of those.  Players like Luna and Cabrera should be hand picked by the coach to build a team around, not sure if that had happened. Florin and Jamie were already here.

My clear understanding is that overseas (i.e. non-Australian) recruitment for Melbourne City is headed up by a team led by James Poole (former player) who is employed by CFG in Manchester.

Another major issue is that CFG is a business run by a number of people who are obscenely rich and just want to get richer. Other than Manchester City, the teams they run are for the betterment of their business, not necessarily the success of those teams on the football field. Even Manchester City is run for the betterment of their business, but as the the flagship it must be seen to be successful on the field as well as off it.

The CFG model is killing football. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Imtellingyou said:

New York City has just won Eastern Conference and they are 2nd overall by the points.  Destined to reach the grand finale.  All that with modest (no)names. Their AM is shorter than Luna. 

Lost the SF  2-1 This morning 

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

It’s an interesting one. Were Luna and Cabrera picked by Petrillo? It’s far from ideal if that was the case. Ideally a manager will have some say in the player or at least the type of player that will work in the system. Square pegs, round holes and all of that.  

Petrillo might not pick them all but I’m not convinced he’s the best person for the job. 

Still early days for the foreign players. Definitely need to improve because we can’t go through the season with only two or three foreigners on the pitch as much as I like the talents of Najjarine and Metcalfe.

Mombaerts said the only player he wasn’t involved in signing was Galloway 

Edited by CityBoyz
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, HeartFc said:

HeartFc management plan. 

1. Forfeit next game, do the kokoda trail.

2. All players delete instagram.

3. Full sparring at the gym once a month. 

4. Full ban on fades, if you cut your hair more than once a month you get a week off. (Skin heads are fine)

4(a). If you shave a line in your head or eyebrows automatic ban, GTFO.

5. If you don't bleed or draw blood from your opponent at least once a month, GTFO.

6. If you fuck a pass up or cop a goal don't look down. Automatically sent to Africa if you do.

7. Fuck those trendy 3/4  jackets, ripped jeans or womens baggy t-shirts. No designer clothes, no hipster shit, no fashionistas!

8. On that note. Manager must wear full track suit with boots on, throwing the odd water bottle would be nice.

9. You have a shit game, you get dropped. Don't care who you are, you earn your spot. 

10. Someone must start a punch on in the tunnel every season. Don't care why.

11. Posters of Roy Keane, Oliver Kahn, Vinnie Jones, Jaap Stam and Gattuso in the rooms. 

12. Don't shake opponents hands in you don't want to, don't do interviews if you don't want to. Tell them to fuck off and cop a fine if you have to. 

I'm no tough guy but I know when I see piss weakness. We are the definition of piss weak!

This should be printed out and placed on the entry to the city training facility! 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, HeartFc said:

HeartFc management plan. 

1. Forfeit next game, do the kokoda trail.

2. All players delete instagram.

3. Full sparring at the gym once a month. 

4. Full ban on fades, if you cut your hair more than once a month you get a week off. (Skin heads are fine)

4(a). If you shave a line in your head or eyebrows automatic ban, GTFO.

5. If you don't bleed or draw blood from your opponent at least once a month, GTFO.

6. If you fuck a pass up or cop a goal don't look down. Automatically sent to Africa if you do.

7. Fuck those trendy 3/4  jackets, ripped jeans or womens baggy t-shirts. No designer clothes, no hipster shit, no fashionistas!

8. On that note. Manager must wear full track suit with boots on, throwing the odd water bottle would be nice.

9. You have a shit game, you get dropped. Don't care who you are, you earn your spot. 

10. Someone must start a punch on in the tunnel every season. Don't care why.

11. Posters of Roy Keane, Oliver Kahn, Vinnie Jones, Jaap Stam and Gattuso in the rooms. 

12. Don't shake opponents hands in you don't want to, don't do interviews if you don't want to. Tell them to fuck off and cop a fine if you have to. 

I'm no tough guy but I know when I see piss weakness. We are the definition of piss weak!

admit it, you just want a team of 11 Jacob Mellings when he was in his cunty prime

There is quality in the squad. It's up to the manager to figure out how to get the best out of the talent we have. The ABC Grandstand guys were talking how Verbeek had worked out to expose our wingbacks pushing forward too early, so we need some new tricks to cover our weaknesses for sure.  Let's not forget we won on Sunday and looked invigorated against Victory. 4 points out of 6. FFA cup final was a shambles but if we can grind out a point against WU, and get a clean sheet or two early on then we are certainly in the mix.

6 hours ago, HeartFc said:

6a. If you fuck up a pass, you are personally responsible for getting the fucking ball back. If you cop a goal, you must score two to keep your place on the team

6 hours ago, HeartFc said:

Issy Miyake track suit allowed

15 hours ago, Nate said:

admit it, you just want a team of 11 Jacob Mellings when he was in his cunty prime

IMO that's where this club has gone wrong repeatedly. Melling, Clisby, Retre. Not world beaters, but guys who you keep long term to help build a culture at a club. Right now Jamo's 53 games at the club is the current highest. How do you develop a club culture when you turnover a majority of the squad every season?

Sydney meanwhile have Grant (169), Ninkovic (108), O'Neil (106), Wilkinson (86), Zullo (73), Redmanyne (59)

• Like 3

Every time I come on this forum I get more and more concerned the mean age of a forum writer is 13.

The body of evidence of us playing very well far outweighs the single poor game we've had. Fucking relax fellas. Let's go smash "Station Coming Soon FC"

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, IssySG said:

Every time I come on this forum I get more and more concerned the mean age of a forum writer is 13.

The body of evidence of us playing very well far outweighs the single poor game we've had. Fucking relax fellas. Let's go smash "Station Coming Soon FC"

It was a cup final. 4-0. In a cup final. We've been around 10 years and won 1 trophy.

1 hour ago, haz said:

It was a cup final. 4-0. In a cup final. We've been around 10 years and won 1 trophy.

Unfortunately this is true. At one stage I was compiling a cumulative A-League table starting with 2012/13 when WSW entered the competition. I went until the end of 2017/18 when I stopped. I should add 2018/19. I emphasise that this is regular season A-League matches only.

At the end of 2017/18 the clubs stood as follows:

image.png.f97abd2ccaa060e25991c2cf342a5d10.png

You can draw your own conclusions. We have of course had some reasonable seasons along the way, but on average we are not title contenders.

It's this table that continues to make me wonder just what purpose CFG see in purchasing Melbourne Heart and owning Melbourne City, and always leads me to conclude that it just isn't winning football matches, and therefore it must be for some other business purpose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, haz said:

I'm aware. And while the sulking tantrums of this forum are most of its charm, the point of my post was; let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

21 hours ago, jw1739 said:

My clear understanding is that overseas (i.e. non-Australian) recruitment for Melbourne City is headed up by a team led by James Poole (former player) who is employed by CFG in Manchester.

Another major issue is that CFG is a business run by a number of people who are obscenely rich and just want to get richer. Other than Manchester City, the teams they run are for the betterment of their business, not necessarily the success of those teams on the football field. Even Manchester City is run for the betterment of their business, but as the the flagship it must be seen to be successful on the field as well as off it.

The CFG model is killing football. 

@jw1739 I remember reading that Petrillo was overseas looking for players. I think it was in one of the articles put out by the Club. 

16 minutes ago, Harrison said:

@jw1739 I remember reading that Petrillo was overseas looking for players. I think it was in one of the articles put out by the Club. 

May very well have been so. I can't point to the reference to and statement(s) by James Poole just at the moment, but they are there, and he's also on LinkedIn:

image.thumb.png.18867a731d73e922d780d6591a36eefc.png

28 minutes ago, IssySG said:

I'm aware. And while the sulking tantrums of this forum are most of its charm, the point of my post was; let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

But in essence that's the point of this forum. 96% of all posts are either positive or negative and they all depend on the last 94 minutes played. Players/managers back room staff are either amazing or complete shit. Generally an opinion is made and then backed up with endless posts trying to vindicate said opinion. 

The irony is nobody is ever wrong. Especially me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1