Melbourne Football

Player Contracts - 2018-19

forbze

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

2016-17 SQUAD TO DATE: 17th January 2017

Number           Name                           Contract until

Goalkeepers.
20                    Dean Bouzanis            31/5/20.

1                      Thomas Sorensen (V) 31/5/17.

Defenders.
4                      Connor Chapman        31/5/19. Transferred to Incheon United, Korea. (23/01/17).

5                      Ivan Franjic                  31/5/18.

6                      Osama Malik                31/5/18.
2                      Manny Muscat             31/5/18.
21                    Ruon Tongyik               31/5/18.
3                      Josh Rose                    31/5/17.
22                    Michael Jakobsen (V)  31/5/18.

Midfielders.

18                    Paulo Retre                  31/5/18.
10                    Anthony Caceres          31/5/17. On loan from Manchester City, England.
26                    Luke Brattan                 31/5/17. On loan from Manchester City, England.

14                    Daniel Arzani                31/5/18.
27                    Fernando Brandan (V)  31/5/18.

8                      Neil Kilkenny                 31/5/18.

9                      Nicolas Colazo (M,V)    31/5/17. On loan from Boca Juniors, Argentina.

Forwards.

28                    Steve Kuzmanovski      31/5/17. Season-ending ACL injury.

7                      Corey Gameiro              31/5/17. Season-ending ACL injury.

23                    Bruno Fornaroli (M,V)    31/5/19.
12                    Nick Fitzgerald               31/5/18.
11                    Bruce Kamau                 31/5/18.
17                    Tim Cahill (FSGM)         31/5/18.

---                    Braedyn Crowley (S)     31/5/18. No longer listed as a senior player (22/01/17).

V: Visa player.
M: Marquee player.
FSGM: Full-Season Guest Marquee player.
S: Scholarship Contract.

Number of players listed above: 21.

As at 23rd January 2017.

Edited by jw1739

• 2 months later...

Out of that list I doubt we will see those whose contracts are ending staying at the club. Id say that Carceras and Brattan will go overseas, Sorenson will retire and Colazo wont be renewed. 

TBH its probably a good thing that we dont have such a high turn over at the end of the season. We all know its thesquad that was never the problem its the management that they have which is the issue. 

I wouldnt be surprised if the Cap goes next season so we will potentially have 2 visa spots to play with and perhaps a bit of selling and buying in the off season.

Edited by Dylan

On 1/17/2017 at 8:56 PM, jw1739 said:

OUT OF CONTRACT

Goalkeepers.
1                      Thomas Sorensen (V) 31/5/17.

Defenders.

3                      Josh Rose                    31/5/17.

Midfielders.
10                    Anthony Caceres          31/5/17. On loan from Manchester City, England.
26                    Luke Brattan                 31/5/17. On loan from Manchester City, England.

9                      Nicolas Colazo (M,V)    31/5/17. On loan from Boca Juniors, Argentina.

Forwards.

28                    Steve Kuzmanovski      31/5/17. Season-ending ACL injury.

7                      Corey Gameiro              31/5/17. Season-ending ACL injury.

I would not renew any of these players contracts, if I had to choose one, it would be Caceras though.

Players in Contract (That I would want to terminate)

Defenders.

Midfielders.

27                    Fernando Brandan (V)  31/5/18. (Injury replacement required otherwise let him go)

Obviously I want us to re-structure our defense, we have the attackers locked in we just need a solid back four and a class #10.  But in reality we all know that next season will be no different to the last, we will not sign any defenders and we will try to play the first 10 games with 3 at the back and fail miserably.

Edited by haz

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

Out of that list I doubt we will see those whose contracts are ending staying at the club. Id say that Carceras and Brattan will go overseas, Sorenson will retire and Colazo wont be renewed. 

TBH its probably a good thing that we dont have such a high turn over at the end of the season. We all know its thesquad that was never the problem its the management that they have which is the issue. 

I wouldnt be surprised if the Cap goes next season so we will potentially have 2 visa spots to play with and perhaps a bit of selling and buying in the off season.

The squad is part of the problem!!  Two big problems, we never recruited enough quality central defenders, whilst we are overstocked and unbalanced elsewhere.  Second, several players are either not good enough or have underperformed.  Both of those are fundamental problems with the squad.  Add to that poor tactics and motivation, and you end up with the shambles we've had this year.

On 02/04/2017 at 8:03 AM, Dylan said:

With you.

personally I've always thought the massive player turnover was a big problem. Having some stability in the squad beats the hell out of swapping these guys for similar quality new players and it's back to square one.

• Like 2

Just getting in early and trying to keep track of squad movements and the make-up of next season's squad. Based on existing contracts, and news to date.

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/city-secures-teenage-trio-on-multi-year-deals/kod1okfz3yk91nwtkordf5jtx

2017-18 SQUAD TO DATE: 9th April 2017

Goalkeepers.
--                      James Delianov (Y?)   31/5/19    News item Club web-site 30th March 2017

Defenders.
--                      Dylan Pieiras (Y?)        31/5/19.    News item Club web-site 30th March 2017
Midfielders.

--                     Denis Genreau (Y?)       31/5/20.   News item Club web-site 30th March 2017 (duration of contract ambiguous)
Forwards.
17                    Tim Cahill                       31/5/18.

V:  Visa player.
M:  Marquee player.
Y?: Assumed to be one of the 3 youth players allowed outside the cap under the "23+3" provision.

Number of players listed above: 17.
As at 18th April 2017.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

JW, I was under the impression that Bouzanis had signed an extension a while ago but then I read this earlier today?

'Inconsistent goalkeeper Dean Bouzanis is also out of contract, with Adelaide United captain Eugene Galekovic a rumoured arrival to take his place. A question mark hangs over Manchester City loanees Luke Brattan and Anthony Caceres, who didn’t start in Sunday’s defeat, while Josh Rose is likely to be moved on.'

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/tim-cahill-slams-melbourne-city-aleague-finals-performance-against-perth-glory/news-story/1d1ec43cbad9207ffd8df8512736473e

Edited by Harrison

2 minutes ago, Harrison said:

JW, I was under the impression that Bouzanis had signed an extension a while ago but then I read this earlier today?

'Inconsistent goalkeeper Dean Bouzanis is also out of contract, with Adelaide United captain Eugene Galekovic a rumoured arrival to take his place. A question mark hangs over Manchester City loanees Luke Brattan and Anthony Caceres, who didn’t start in Sunday’s defeat, while Josh Rose is likely to be moved on.'

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/tim-cahill-slams-melbourne-city-aleague-finals-performance-against-perth-glory/news-story/1d1ec43cbad9207ffd8df8512736473e

Well, this is the source that says he signed an extension.http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/goalkeeper-dean-bouzanis-re-signs-with-melbourne-city-fc/jhgrzhsm4eqa1ahdffeawqtlo

It's a City announcement. I can't see how he can now be out of contract, unless there were various caveats in the contract that mean he's no longer staying.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Well, this is the source that says he signed an extension.http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/goalkeeper-dean-bouzanis-re-signs-with-melbourne-city-fc/jhgrzhsm4eqa1ahdffeawqtlo

It's a City announcement. I can't see how he can now be out of contract, unless there were various caveats in the contract that mean he's no longer staying.

There's always a gross misconduct clause...

On 4/9/2017 at 2:18 PM, jw1739 said:

Just getting in early and trying to keep track of squad movements and the make-up of next season's squad. Based on existing contracts, and news to date.

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/city-secures-teenage-trio-on-multi-year-deals/kod1okfz3yk91nwtkordf5jtx

2017-18 SQUAD TO DATE: 9th April 2017

Goalkeepers.
--                      James Delianov (Y?)   31/5/19    News item Club web-site 30th March 2017

Defenders.
--                      Dylan Pieiras (Y?)        31/5/19.    News item Club web-site 30th March 2017
Midfielders.

--                     Denis Genreau (Y?)       31/5/20.   News item Club web-site 30th March 2017 (duration of contract ambiguous)
Forwards.

Y?: Assumed to be one of the 3 youth players allowed outside the cap under the "23+3" provision.

Number of players listed above: 17.
As at 18th April 2017.

Departures of Josh Rose, Steve Kuzmanovski, Corey Gameiro and Nicolas Colazo confirmed 1st May 2017.

So apart from Brattan and Caceras all the contracted players that contracts expired this past season have not been renewed. 

Now the big question I have is that is the new manager building next seasons team or will it be built and he will then be brought in afterwards. 

Very interesting and frustrating period ahead.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jovan said:

So apart from Brattan and Caceras all the contracted players that contracts expired this past season have not been renewed. 

Now the big question I have is that is the new manager building next seasons team or will it be built and he will then be brought in afterwards. 

Very interesting and frustrating period ahead.

I wouldn't be surprised if they'd already made a decision on the new manager and spoken to him about potential recruitment for next season.

6 minutes ago, Embee said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they'd already made a decision on the new manager and spoken to him about potential recruitment for next season.

Logic says obviously but you never know. For me the next contract announcement has to be the manager. 

4 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Logic says obviously but you never know. For me the next contract announcement has to be the manager. 

From a PR standpoint yes, it wouldn't be the best look to announce any signings until they've publicly disclosed the new manager you'd think.

1 hour ago, Embee said:

From a PR standpoint yes, it wouldn't be the best look to announce any signings until they've publicly disclosed the new manager you'd think.

Completely agree. IMO PR is more important for this club than it is for any of the others. When we were bought by Manchester City, the bar was raised for us. The expectation of the fans, the media and the Melbourne public is that we will be up there challenging for every trophy every season. The irony of this season is that we won the NYL, the W-League, and the FFA Cup, yet we're seen as having failed. If we'd had a mid-season slump but then recovered and finished a comfortable third we would have probably escaped much of the criticism. The problem was that we failed miserably at the end of the season, and the club has lost credibility as a result.

So yes, PR absolutely critical from now on as the club seeks to rebuild credibility.

• 1 month later...

2017-18 SQUAD TO DATE: 16th June 2017

Goalkeepers.
--                      Eugene Galekovic        31/5/19   News item Club web-site 16th June 2017

Defenders.
Midfielders.
18                    Paulo Retre                  31/5/18.     Contract terminated by mutual consent. News item Club web-site 16th June 2017.

Forwards.
--                      Anthony Caceres           31/5/18   On loan from Manchester City. News item Club web-site 16th June 2017.

As at 16th June 2017.

Edited by jw1739

19 minutes ago, mjake1234 said:

So how much space do we have left for players, including visas, marquees and FSGM?

TBH, I don't know precisely, mainly because I don't know the real status of Delianov, Genreau and Pierias. Also, AFAIK there is no Full Season Guest Marquee place any more - it was for season 2016/17 only. However, the 14-match Guest Player option remains.

There are 18 players named above as contracted for 2017/18. There are 23+3 places available in total, including a maximum of 5 visa players and two marquees.
So we have 8 places available overall.
We have 3 visa players listed - therefore room for 2 more.
We have 1 marquee player listed - therefore room for 1 more.

So my best estimate is that we have room for 8 further players, including 2 visa players and 1 marquee player, plus the 14-match guest player if we wanted to use that option.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/06/2017 at 2:04 AM, Chris p said:

John roberts and i think Braedyn Crowley?

Nope Brayden Crowley is behind Tonyik. Might be a youth player. 

Mate tells me this player is trialling.. ACL!!! ???

Tuesday, 20 September 2016 -

The Central Coast Mariners can today confirm that Hyundai A-League player Jake Adelson has suffered a rupture to the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in his left knee during the club’s pre-season friendly against Wellington Phoenix on Saturday.

On Monday, Adelson underwent scans on the Central Coast to confirm his injury. Adelson will meet with a leading Orthopedic Surgeon in Sydney this week prior to undergoing a knee reconstruction.

The Central Coast Mariners wish Jake all the best on his road to recovery.

Read more at http://www.ccmariners.com.au/article/jake-adelson-injury-update/qi8oncnntjcm1adx7nllhpvou#BLxbzcQtSpOikCjZ.99

1 hour ago, citymad said:

Nope Brayden Crowley is behind Tonyik. Might be a youth player. 

Mate tells me this player is trialling.. ACL!!! ???

Tuesday, 20 September 2016 -

The Central Coast Mariners can today confirm that Hyundai A-League player Jake Adelson has suffered a rupture to the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in his left knee during the club’s pre-season friendly against Wellington Phoenix on Saturday.

On Monday, Adelson underwent scans on the Central Coast to confirm his injury. Adelson will meet with a leading Orthopedic Surgeon in Sydney this week prior to undergoing a knee reconstruction.

The Central Coast Mariners wish Jake all the best on his road to recovery.

Read more at http://www.ccmariners.com.au/article/jake-adelson-injury-update/qi8oncnntjcm1adx7nllhpvou#BLxbzcQtSpOikCjZ.99

Given the issues we think we may have in getting our full complement of players under the cap, it might not be surprising that we are looking at some cheap, but potentially risky, talent to bulk out the fringes of our squad. I assume we've already signed up any of our own youngsters we think are worthy of promotion and/or need a contract in order to ensure they stay around.

2 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Given the issues we think we may have in getting our full complement of players under the cap, it might not be surprising that we are looking at some cheap, but potentially risky, talent to bulk out the fringes of our squad. I assume we've already signed up any of our own youngsters we think are worthy of promotion and/or need a contract in order to ensure they stay around.

I dont see how youth are "risky", the contracts are cheap and they generally dont look out of place 

10 minutes ago, Chris p said:

I dont see how youth are "risky", the contracts are cheap and they generally dont look out of place 

Not saying that youth are risky.  I've said entirely the opposite on here about the likes of Pierias.  What may be risky is signing possibly talented players, some of whom may also be young, who have been seriously injured.  At the right price, and with the potential for talent if they stay fit and develop as hoped, it could be a risk worth taking.  As long as we accept they could be crocked, crap or both.

Edit: reference to our youth was to suggest that I would be looking to our own inexpensive talent to build our squad before I looked anywhere else.  But given that, scour the country for the overlooked and inexpensive rough diamonds.

Edited by fensaddler
  • Like 1

On 6/30/2017 at 7:00 PM, Shahanga said:

Hey I thought the visa 4+1 rule was coming in this season? Am I mistaken? @jw1739 @Dylan (You guys know stuff)

Almost caught me there @Shahanga. I hadn't realised that FFA had finally made a decision on that. But it is scheduled to come into effect next season (2018/19) rather than this one.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/01/16/ffa-introduce-asian-import-quota?cid=inbody:41-rule-good-for-aleague-and-australia

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Almost caught me there @Shahanga. I hadn't realised that FFA had finally made a decision on that. But it is scheduled to come into effect next season (2018/19) rather than this one.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/01/16/ffa-introduce-asian-import-quota?cid=inbody:41-rule-good-for-aleague-and-australia

Know it probably won't happen but like I have said previously FFA should make the +1 a Asian/Australian Marquee to replace the Guest Marquee which is rarely used.

2017-18 SQUAD TO DATE: 15th July 2017

Goalkeepers.
--                      James Delianov (Y?)   31/5/19           News item Club web-site 30th March 2017
18                    Eugene Galekovic        31/5/19          News item Club web-site 16th June 2017

Defenders.
--                      Dylan Pieiras (Y?)        31/5/19.          Club web-site 30th March 2017
3                      Scott Jamieson             31/5/21.          Club web-site 3rd July 2017
25                    Iacopo La Rocca          31/5/19.          Club web-site 15th July 2017
Midfielders.

--                     Denis Genreau (Y?)       31/5/20.          Club web-site 30th March 2017 (duration of contract ambiguous)
Forwards.
10                    Anthony Caceres (L)      31/5/18           Club web-site 16th June 2017.

L:   Loan player.

As at 15th July 2017.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Chris p said:

Were going to have 12 players out of contract next season. A ridiculous situation 

Perfect situation. 

All 12 are playing for extensions. If they deserve it they will get extensions. 

These decisions don't need to be done made until after January transfer window. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

Number

Name

Contract

Goalkeepers

Dean Bouzanis

31/5/20

--

James Delianov (S)

31/5/19

Eugene Galekovic