Melbourne Football

Matchday 3: v Western United - Sun 27th Oct 6.00 pm at GMHBA Stadium

Baka1

31 minutes ago, Harrison said:

How many Melbourne-based City supporters will go to this? 10? 

Very interested to see the attendance. I'm guessing somewhere between 5-10k. Maybe the 'derby' factor will boost it somewhat.

There's a fair few of us over this side already. And it's not exactly difficult to get to... 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

There's a fair few of us over this side already. And it's not exactly difficult to get to... 

Are there? That's surprising. I figured there wouldn't be too many. I've often thought that we were much more east/south-east and even north.

Are you inner west or further out like Point Cooke? 

Edited by Harrison

I'm based in Newport.

If Melbourne based supporters (N, E, S or W) think that Geelong is too far away to make the effort then A-league will never grow. 

I was down there for their game against Perth. Can confirm that GMHBA Stadium provides reasonable viewing (for an oval) and the chicken and waffle chips deserve a Michelin Star.

Image-1.jpg

• Like 6

What a shit time for a game.....seriously?  Getting there is nice....take the motorcycle on to the ferry just down the road at Sorrento...nice cruise and short ride to follow ...  but then it's the long way home cos the ferries shut at dinner time. ETA home 10pm.  You would think on a SCHOOL NIGHT they would offer a 4pm, at least to light up this first clash between two ''Melbourne'' sides.  Bah.  And when you get there it's a shit Aussie rules oval.....  roll on their Tarneit stadium

• Like 1

Not usually do I care about other teams, but you would think ffa don't want western to succeed with their fixture 

RD 1 in Wellington, should have played at home probably against Victory to get a crowd in

RD 2 they get a home game against the team furthest away

RD 3 they play their first game against a Melbourne team and they put it at 6pm on a Sunday 

At least try and give them a fixture to try and get going 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, neio said:

Not usually do I care about other teams, but you would think ffa don't want western to succeed with their fixture 

RD 1 in Wellington, should have played at home probably against Victory to get a crowd in

RD 2 they get a home game against the team furthest away

RD 3 they play their first game against a Melbourne team and they put it at 6pm on a Sunday 

At least try and give them a fixture to try and get going 

The clubs are as weak as piss. Collectively they should have objected to the fixture. (Perhaps they did of course.)

7 hours ago, Harrison said:

Are there? That's surprising. I figured there wouldn't be too many. I've often thought that we were much more east/south-east and even north.

Are you inner west or further out like Point Cooke? 

Most of the way to Geelong. And the Bellarine Massive are legendary... 

7 hours ago, Tangerine said:

I'm based in Newport.

If Melbourne based supporters (N, E, S or W) think that Geelong is too far away to make the effort then A-league will never grow. 

I was down there for their game against Perth. Can confirm that GMHBA Stadium provides reasonable viewing (for an oval) and the chicken and waffle chips deserve a Michelin Star.

Image-1.jpg

Agreed. We went for the pre-season against WSW. Much better than I expected for an oval, and far nicer an experience than bloody Marvel. 

• Like 2

Can we play any worse that what was dished up last night? Abject failure after the pissants got their first goal. The Nutty Gallic Professor has to get the Visa boys firing because successful A-league teams have been built around solid quality imports. I've seen practically zero impact from the South American lads and Noone has looked OK at times and especially in the lead up to last night's game against NPL players.

Maybe we needed an absolutely arse kicking right now to give the team a reality check. Let's see if it has a positive effect on Sunday but a loss would be  :hkpalm:

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Unfortunately the season isn’t over.

All I can say is Erick better have a good look at the youth squad prior to this game (which is looking ugly). Seems we need some players.

Agreed. My view is that City fans will be forgiving if we now start building for the future with our own home-grown players. No point in persisting with the older fellows and those who have let us down time after time. For example, if Glover isn't up to A-League standard then we shouldn't have signed him - so he should start from now on. Likewise players such as Genreau, Atkinson, Ramy and the rest of them. Players have been given a Scholarship for a reason, so let's see them on the field and give them the chance develop themselves and the squad in City colours - as it stands all we're doing is developing players to play for other clubs.

I also think Erick is going to have to adapt this so-called "City style" to Australian summer conditions, especially with this new fad for 4.00 and 6.00 p.m. starts - which because of Daylight Saving are really 3.00 p.m. and 5 p.m.

The Cup defeat is not the end of the world, but lessons need to be learned from it. Let's face it, we didn't have that impressive a pre-season overall, so it's not as if it can be looked at in isolation.