Melbourne Football

Matchday 2: v Adelaide United - Sun 20th October 4:00pm at Aami Park

IssySG

Squad is in and Maclaren is playing.

Given the travels and the weekday Cup tie, should Jamie start or play off the bench? 

Also worth noting, Florin is still unavailable 

1.Tom GLOVER, 2.Scott GALLOWAY, 3.Scott JAMIESON, 4.Harrison DELBRIDGE, 6.Josh BRILLANTE, 7.Rostyn GRIFFITHS, 8.Javier CABRERA, 9.Jamie MACLAREN, 11.Craig NOONE, 13.Nathniel ATKINSON, 17.Denis GENREAU, 19.Lachlan WALES, 20.Adrian LUNA, 21.Ramy NAJJARINE, 22.Curtis GOOD, 23.Dean BOUZANIS, 30.Moudi NAJJAR, 34.Connor METCALFE, 40.Richard WINDBICHLER, 49.Stefan COLAKOVSKI

Ins: 9.Jamie Maclaren (returns from international duty), 17.Denis Genreau (returns form international duty)

Outs: nil

Unavailable: 10.Florin BERENGUER (hamstring)

This is interesting how we approach this one with the game coming up against same opposition in 3 days after 

Players who may be "rested" are Galloway, Good, Metcalfe I think. But this is also mainly as we have replacments who could step straight in. But we may also go with our strongest team, and then work out what we have for cup final when thag comes around. Maclaren will start but I don't think gets through 90 on sunday. Whichever way we go it will be interesting 

2 minutes ago, neio said:

This is interesting how we approach this one with the game coming up against same opposition in 3 days after 

Players who may be "rested" are Galloway, Good, Metcalfe I think. But this is also mainly as we have replacments who could step straight in. But we may also go with our strongest team, and then work out what we have for cup final when thag comes around. Maclaren will start but I don't think gets through 90 on sunday. Whichever way we go it will be interesting 

26-match season. Have to play your strongest-available team in every one. There will be forced absences due to other factors as the season progresses.

This may be an unpopular opinion but we should play our strongest team in the Cup and then work backwards for Sunday's game. 

Now obviously it's difficult to predict but I wouldn't start Maclaren 100%, I would rest Metcalfe and either Good or Delbribge and play Austrian dude. 

3 points can be made up, we won't get another cup final this season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Jovan said:

This may be an unpopular opinion but we should play our strongest team in the Cup and then work backwards for Sunday's game. 

Now obviously it's difficult to predict but I wouldn't start Maclaren 100%, I would rest Metcalfe and either Good or Delbribge and play Austrian dude. 

agree with jovan here, we need trophies,  even perth dropped a couple of games last year.  Id give some game time to peripheral players this weekend

3 hours ago, Jovan said:

Well that would be true if the team included the likes of you me and & @jw1739, but we have a team full of fit young men. Surely they can play twice in a few days? 
(I agree with prioritising the cup, but question the need)

Edited by Shahanga

It's all about the cup baby, no one will remember a round two loss to Adelaide in 2019, but we'll all remember a FFA cup win in 2019 😍😍😍

Rest McLaren, Brillante, noone and the two cb's

3 hours ago, fastfly100 said:

Going to my first game in a while! given the time what do you think a good crowd would be?

I think the pax is saying 40k but it could be wrong

Edited by kingofhearts

More boring perusal of stats - Adelaide had the highest xG (expected goals) against in round one (with 2.82, which is ridiculously high, particularly at home, somewhere in the 95th percentile range), where City conceded (against an admittedly rather poor Victory) only 0.22 xG against (which is ridiculously low as far as these numbers go, in the 2nd percentile). 

All of this is to say statistics are meaningless and we're capable of throwing a game away under any conditions.

11 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

It's all about the cup baby, no one will remember a round two loss to Adelaide in 2019, but we'll all remember a FFA cup win in 2019 😍😍😍

Rest McLaren, Brillante, noone and the two cb's

I think the pax is saying 40k but it could be wrong

Be nice to get some minutes into windbiechler

27 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

6,888 turned up to Geelong yesterday. Just musing about this afternoon's attendance and tomorrow's sockah news headlines.

We'll comfortably pass that today.

Don't think thats an impressive attendance whatsoever with new car smell tbh anyway. Even we got 11,050 to our first ever home game, which was a Thursday night too. We've grown exponentially since season one.

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

We'll comfortably pass that today.

Don't think thats an impressive attendance whatsoever with new car smell tbh anyway. Even we got 11,050 to our first ever home game, which was a Thursday night too. We've grown exponentially since season one.

Lots of people I talked to at Geelong (like me) got free tickets.

next home game for them outside the derby will be a more realistic indicator

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, johnno cpfc said:

I am really pissed of at the moment as i was looking forward to tonight's first home game but i have had a bad week . culminating in being taken to hospital by ambulance on friday as i have got something wrong with my heart so sadly i will have to stay at home for this one . 

Two years of watching a team coached by Joyce will do that to you

• Like 1